Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Off to a rocky start? (Questionable dealer) (Read 388 times)
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Off to a rocky start? (Questionable dealer)
02/13/13 at 15:28:01

I went in Saturday morning, and haggled myself into an 06 S40 with a little over 12K miles. The bike has a dent and scratch on the side of tank, and missing the left triangle cover, so the price was down from some others I was looking at. I made it about half way home on the bike before it started coughing and sputtering and I limped back to the dealer and they reluctantly had the mechanic take a look, and then he rode it around a bit. They said the detail guy had mistakenly overfilled the fuel tank, and a hose from the tank vent to the carb was sucking fuel as a result. They drained some fuel, and sent me on my way. I made it most of the way home before it started acting up again, but opted to just get home and figure it out as the dealers mechanic didn't impress me at all. I located this forum and began reading for common issues and discovered the petcock test, which i promptly did and found the vacuum side had fuel in it. I plugged the carb port, and the vac line, switched to prime and rode around the yard, and it quickly cleaned up and stayed running then. I went down this morning and took my written test for my motorcycle endoresement, and took out a insurance policy on the bike and came home staring at it thinking, I just have to know how far that famed tensioner is extended. Got my drain pan and tools and proceded to drain some of the blackest oil I've seen in awhile. (Dealership services all bikes before sale). Pulled the clutch cover and I knew before measuring. It was right at 22mm, and starting to elongate the tensioner bore. I dont like leaving things in pieces, so I buttoned it back up, poured fresh rotella through till I got clean oil out the plug. Refilled & started and rechecked and topped off. I'm thinking the filter probably isn't new either. The bike looks great other than the tank scrape, runs quiet and rides excellent with more torque than anything I've ever ridden. At this point I'm planning on a new tensioner with a mod from machine shop for extra hole, clutch cover gasket, filter & oil,  and a 660 petcock, and check valve lash. I really like the way the bike handles, and the power is more than adequate for my needs. For now it will hang out in the garage while I save up for parts.

06 S40
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Re: Off to a rocky start? (Questionable dealer)
Reply #1 - 02/13/13 at 15:45:03

It sounds like you're off to a pretty good start to me Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/13/13 at 16:01:30

They said the detail guy had mistakenly overfilled the fuel tank, and a hose from the tank vent to the carb was sucking fuel as a result.

Horse CRAP

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/13/13 at 18:02:59

Sounds like you are off to a great start...  ... your dealer,.. not so much...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 02/13/13 at 18:14:23

Ditto on all the above...and welcome to the group. Thankfully it seems you have some mechanical background,or at least some natural talent. Just think if someone totallly new to bikes and with no mechanical skills had ended up with with your scoot. Sounds like they would have been SOL with that Stealership!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #5 - 02/13/13 at 18:28:38

I am a mechanic by trade (auto/equipment), so I'm willing to dig into most anything. I have found this forum and it's members to be a fountain of information and the reading I have done soo far on here allowed me to focus my efforts.

06 S40
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 02/14/13 at 02:50:49

JOG2 is right. I have crammed the tank to virtually overflowing on several occasions. No issues with the stock petcock yet.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 02/14/13 at 08:29:04

Over fill the gas tank??? It that like overfilling the bank account?

Regardless.. if the paper air filter got wet ( gas) it needs to be replaced.

The new petcock.. is your ticket..

Welcome to the club!

IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #8 - 02/14/13 at 09:37:15

gone fishing

« Last Edit: 02/26/13 at 16:13:36 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 02/14/13 at 15:46:13

California models do... that's what the funny little bracket under the swing arm is for. If your bike was a Cal-legal and not just a 49 state legal... it should say on the emissions label on the right side of the down tube (right as if you were on the bike).

Sounds like it came from a bike breakers used lot, I should know, worked at one of the worst on the west coast for almost 2 years. At least Savages are relatively cheap to repair (except electrical bits). And you'll know it is up to snuff when you get it back in service.

I'm sure my 98 is way overdue for a tensioner, the speedo was deleted 8 years with 15K+ showing on it... Roll Eyes Of course, the speedo/odo broke 10 years ago...

The petcock lasted 7 years? Lucky... mine was 7 when the tank got totalled. Still worked, kind of, on prime...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 02/14/13 at 18:31:57

I'm impressed. You realized that the dealer prolly knows less than you and promptly came home, figured out the problem(s) through research, logic and some common sense, and then fixed them.

Don't know what else to say other than nice work dude. I wouldn't say this is a rocky start though, you definitely got a handle on things. Sounds like you're gonna do just fine around here.

*edit* Wait, I gotta find fault in something though. I'm gonna say it was kinda hard to read your post without any paragraphs.

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #11 - 02/14/13 at 18:59:58

WD wrote on 02/14/13 at 15:46:13:
California models do... that's what the funny little bracket under the swing arm is for. If your bike was a Cal-legal and not just a 49 state legal... it should say on the emissions label on the right side of the down tube (right as if you were on the bike).

Alright so I just ran out and checked...my ride is a California model.  Is that what the box under the battery is for?  Can it be removed and not harm the running of the bike?  I'm in SC so I don't have to have it correct?

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #12 - 02/14/13 at 19:24:55

Welcome to our new member.....To get rid of the backfiring when you roll off the throttle and improve throttle response drill out the brass plug covering the idle mixture or pilot jet screw located on the right side of the carb body (see pic). Be careful and don't push too hard on the drill bit or it will drill into the brass screw..(and then you are truly screwed). There is a small gap between the brass plug and the brass screw so let the drill do the work...press gently and you will feel when it penetrates through the plug. I used a SHARP 1/16 drill bit and then put a sheet metal screw into the hole and pulled the plug out with a large pair of pliers. On some carbs it might be stuck good and hard but mine pulled out after I had a friend hold the bike from tipping over on me (I did have to pull quite hard to get it out). Now back the brass pilot jet (I call it idle mixture) screw out until your idle no longer increases then re-adjust your idle speed screw to lower the idle speed back down where it should be. I fine tuned mine after driving a few miles and ended up turning the pilot screw back in about a quarter turn. Here is a pick of the brass plug drilled out on my carb. You can also find this and more carb tuning tips in the tech section from Lancer...also check the marketplace for Lancer's Performance Parts at the top of the section....I bought two of his Big Bore Kits and they are quality stuff at reasonable prices...quick shipping too!

Savage_OEM_Carb_Detail.jpg

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 02/14/13 at 21:20:41

newriverjunkie wrote on 02/14/13 at 18:59:58:
WD wrote on 02/14/13 at 15:46:13:

Alright so I just ran out and checked...my ride is a California model.  Is that what the box under the battery is for?  Can it be removed and not harm the running of the bike?  I'm in SC so I don't have to have it correct?

It robs a couple horsepower having the clean air package, but not so much that you would really notice the difference. Removal? Not sure, my bike is 49 state, every other one I've tinkered with has been a 49 state. I know deleting the California emissions nonsense from a car can screw stuff up, or not, depending on the engine type, age and the modifications made to it. Sorry man, the only Cal-spec bikes we had at the shop we left the emissions crap untouched.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 02/14/13 at 22:25:39

Cap the tap on the carb and leave the vent line open and you're good to go.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:19:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Off to a rocky start? (Questionable dealer)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.