Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Not another bobber build... (Read 326 times)
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Not another bobber build...
02/12/13 at 13:12:31

Nope, well kind of, I call it my Rat Bobage.  Here's what I started with:

Pretty much bone stock '02 with 17xxx on the clock.  The bike had a SuperTrapp exhaust on it when I got it.  Didn't like how it sounded so one of the first couple things I did to it was take it off and put a little kicker on the end of the header to blow the exhaust away from me and the bike.

Then I put some 10" mini apes on it cause I didn't like how the buck horns were riding.

Got tired of carrying a bag to and from work so I built some hard "saddle bags" to put all my crap in.  The boxes are built out of two 5.56 ammo cans (bought for $10 a piece at the last gun show), then I bought some 1" square tubing and welded that to the ammo cans.  That tubing then got welded the brackets that run along the fender and support the back rest.  Also I took the pad off the back rest and cut out the support in the middle to give it more of a sissy bar function than a back rest.

After breaking two license plates in about three months I came up with a way to move the plate and light which allowed me to bob the fender like I wanted as well.

Then my tank started leaking so I replaced it with a sportster tank.  The front mount I just welded a couple nuts onto the sides of the frame and for the back I made some brackets that came up to the back mounts of the tank to be welded onto the frame.  Here's a picture of it...hope you can see it alright.  Since the new tank doesn't have a spot for the speedo built in I had to come up with something else.  I stole my buddies off his VS700 since he's replacing his.  I modified the Intruder speedo to mount on one of the bolts that holds the chrome cover on the right side of the engine.  Was even able to re-use the original speedo cable!

Also wrapped my exhaust pipe which gave me some deaper tones out of my exhaust from the straight pipe.  The only couple things I want to do left is remove the air box and exchange with a cone filter, find shorter springs for the back and then lower the front fork (either that or go with a hard tail with some braces made out of bar stock in the rear) and remove the chrome covers on top of the engine.  Also plan on tearing the bike down and giving the tank, fender and ammo cans a good sanding then rattle can flat black paint job.  And here's how she sits as of now, 23xxx on the odometer now (6 months later):

Let me know what y'all think.  I really appreciate all the information on this site.  I've learned quite a lot about this bike and how to work on it.  She's a work in progress and will probably never actually be completely done but who knows...it's a journey and as long as I've got two wheels between my legs then I'm happy!  

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
scannerzer
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

northern ireland
Re: Not another bobber build...
Reply #1 - 02/12/13 at 14:26:35

love the look of this,especially the ammo boxes

1990 ls 650 Met red,4speed
  IP Logged
Bubba1

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/12/13 at 14:54:27

Really cool! Like how it's different than most the builds I've seen. Good work

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/12/13 at 15:37:31

Ditched a TRapp? Heck,, if its in decent shape, Ill bet someone would buy it.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #4 - 02/12/13 at 16:00:51

It's in the box of stuff to put on here...just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I just didn't like how it sounded so it went.  

Also forgot to mention that the 1" tubing was used between the ammo cans and the brackets to kick the left box out enough to clear the rear pulley when the suspension is compressed.

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 02/12/13 at 16:27:16

If the screws arent locked up too bad you can change the # of disks in the TRapp & make it louder/deeper. Ive got 14 in & I like the noise just fine. Mite not be enough for others.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #6 - 02/12/13 at 17:26:15

Lookin' good.  I especially like the tank and side mount speedo.  Thats a route I've been thinking of going myself, so if you wanna throw up a few more detailed pics of the tank and speedo mounts, I would appreciate it a ton.  And JOG is right about the Trapp; if its in good shape, you'll be able to sell it no problem.

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #7 - 02/12/13 at 19:35:06

Smokestack I'll get the tank off and take some better pics of the mounts I came ip with for the tank.  as far as the speedo goes, my buddies 86' intruder had a speedo/light cluster that bolted to the top of his triple tree and he was ditching the whole get up for a smaller speedo so I just stole his speedo.  I ground a little bit off the back of the housing and just used the front bolt that holds that right side civer to hold it on, then I spliced the wiring to give it lights and the stock cable reached so I just re-used that.  I'll try to get some better pics if that as well so you can see it better.  Just have been trying to play off a bobber style but give it my own usability and flare to make it my own.  Like I said I've got a couple more things that I want to do to it but she's almost there...like I said it'll probably never be completely done but we shall see.

IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #8 - 02/13/13 at 13:38:39

newriverjunkie wrote on 02/12/13 at 19:35:06:
Smokestack I'll get the tank off and take some better pics of the mounts I came ip with for the tank.  as far as the speedo goes, my buddies 86' intruder had a speedo/light cluster that bolted to the top of his triple tree and he was ditching the whole get up for a smaller speedo so I just stole his speedo.  I ground a little bit off the back of the housing and just used the front bolt that holds that right side civer to hold it on, then I spliced the wiring to give it lights and the stock cable reached so I just re-used that.  I'll try to get some better pics if that as well so you can see it better.  Just have been trying to play off a bobber style but give it my own usability and flare to make it my own.  Like I said I've got a couple more things that I want to do to it but she's almost there...like I said it'll probably never be completely done but we shall see.

Heh, yeah I'm in the same boat...  Probably be tinkering as long as I own the bike.  Looking forward to the pictures, but there's no great rush.  I'm pretty certain I know how I'm gonna do it, just interested in other methods people have used.  Might be better than my own ideas!

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #9 - 02/13/13 at 17:41:54

Smokestack wrote on 02/13/13 at 13:38:39:
I'm pretty certain I know how I'm gonna do it, just interested in other methods people have used.  Might be better than my own ideas!

No problem with that!  I spent today running around trying to get stuff together for a new job.  Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow so we'll see.

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #10 - 10/08/14 at 04:42:29

Well it's been awhile since I've been on here, things have been hectic to say the least, good to see the forum is still up and running. Smokestack my apologies, right after we were talking about my tank mounts we ended up moving on pretty short notice and things are just starting to settle back down for us. I'm going to try to be on here more frequently but with two kids under three we'll see how that goes. During my hiatus Jolene ended up getting a ground up rebuild. We put a Voodoo Vintage kit plus added another 6" so she's got a total of 9" of stretch from stock. I love how she rides and she still isn't done yet. There's talk of adding a fender, sissy bar and I still can't make up my mind on color yet. I can't get a pic to load right now but next time I'm at a computer I'll load one.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/08/14 at 10:49:48

newriverjunkie wrote on 02/12/13 at 16:00:51:
It's in the box of stuff to put on here...just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I just didn't like how it sounded so it went.  

Also forgot to mention that the 1" tubing was used between the ammo cans and the brackets to kick the left box out enough to clear the rear pulley when the suspension is compressed.

Count the baffle plates. If it's just 6 or 8, AND the bolts will back out..Start with the Acetone and Transmission fluid penetrating oil,If they can be gotten out,then add plates. I had 14 and it sounded really good and was easy to get the carb tuned to it AND I was still able to ride with a grin on my face and Still get, IIRC,49 mph.. My daughter was getting a little more.I think it was around 52?

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #12 - 10/09/14 at 18:20:07

Justin_o_guy that supertrapp is long lost in the boxes of parts at my buddies shop. When I rebuilt the bike she got a shorty exhaust with enough baffling in it to tune the carb and I've got her running like a top now. We'll see where the future takes ol' girl.

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #13 - 10/09/14 at 18:33:27

Ok let's try this and see if it works. Here's a pic of how Jolene is sitting now.

[img]http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j357/NewRiverJunkie87/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg" alt="" title="" border="0" />[/img]

close...

just copy the last part and put in between the brackets.

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #14 - 10/09/14 at 18:34:01

Hmmm ok that didn't work...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 18:30:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not another bobber build...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.