Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Messed up my caliper ... need help! (Read 323 times)
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Messed up my caliper ... need help!
02/12/13 at 08:10:41

Well, I was changing the front brake pads in a hurry last weekend and instead of mounting the caliper so that the rotor sat in between the pads, I put it back on with both pads on the same side!  Ugh!  Serves me right for doing this for the first time in a rush.

Anyway, I rode it around for about 20 - 25 min and noticed that I was getting slightly less braking power but thought that was normal since the pads have to be broken in.  Finally, I came to a light and the front brake basically stopped giving me any braking force at all.  Pulled over and kicked myself for what I'd done.  I re-mounted the caliper correctly and rode home.  But now, I don't seem to get any braking power out of the front brake at all.  I can push the handle all the way down and still roll the bike forward.

So it looks like part of the caliper (circled in the picture attached), which was rubbing against the rotor when I was braking, actually melted onto the rotor itself and is now deformed.  I'm thinking that I need to buy a new caliper assembly, bleed the system, and put the new one on.  Does that sound right?

And can I just sand off the junk that melted onto my rotor (picture in next post)?

Any and all help appreciated.  Thanks!

suzuki_ls650_front_caliper.gif
  IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Re: Messed up my caliper ... need help!
Reply #1 - 02/12/13 at 08:13:26

Here's a close up of the rotor with the metal that melted on.

20130212_093521_lower_res.jpg
  IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #2 - 02/12/13 at 08:16:11

Here's another photo where you can see the part of the caliper that was rubbing against the rotor.

20130212_093544_lower_res.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 02/12/13 at 08:30:31

The "Hockey Puck" that presses the pad against the rotor didnt get it? Id think that thing would be toast,,Id expect to see that replaced, I couldnt make out what part youre saying rubbed & galled onto the rotor, but, the rotor itself should save. Maybe you can do it yourself. I think I could. If you touch it w/ the grinder in a spot or 2, Id say no biggee.. but if you gouge it up & haul hunks of it out, could lead to warping & naturally, slightly decreased brake surface.
Id hold the grinder disk so it left whatever marks its gonna leave as close to In Line with the path of the pads as possible as opposed to working across the path of the pads on the disk.
Im gonna look at the pics again,,

Okay,, NOW I get it, ya got the pads on the hockey puck side,,

Now the question is, is the caliper worn off square or at a taper?
That edge supports the pad & presses it against the rotor square & straight. YOu may see decreased performance until the brake pad has worn itself to fit between caliper & rotor unless you can shim it.
It may not be enough to sweat.
Put it together after the rotor is cleaned up & hit the brakes & look for a gap between rotor & pad. May not be near as bad as youre thinking,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 02/12/13 at 10:15:41

Be of good cheer,  your goof isn't as bad as you think it is.

It ain't fatal and it has been done before (me and Toymaker did it to his bike).   It required no replacement parts and only an hour of filing, etc.

Simply file the aluminium legs that melted on to the rotor until they are flat again.  It is aluminium, so it files pretty quick and easy with a large coarse flat file.  Toymaker and I ran out of patience and his weren't perfectly flat and square so it held his fixed pad slightly cocked and the face of the pad wore in that way to be true to the rotor and once worn in it worked perfectly for like 5-6 years (until next set of pads).  

Actually, it worked perfectly almost at once since we immediately went on a Dragon Run and he lived ....

He only lost the amount that it was off square from his total pad life.   Plus, next set of pads you can always file some more to get it better square if you want to.

The stuff stuck to the rotor is really stuck on there so peel off what you can with a razor blade (use a scraper holder) and lightly hand sand what the razor blade can't remove just to blend in the edges some.  

You do not have to get it all off -- what remains will wear off quickly due to natural brake pad / rotor wear.   It will be GONE in a week.

==========

dirty thought if you don't like filing

Rough up the surface of the erroded arms until JB will adhere to it well.  Mix up some can type (thick) JB Weld and apply it thickly to the aluminium arms tips that are currently eroded.   It needs to stand positive to the uneroded part of the machined surface.  

Wait a bit until the JB is starting to thicken up and get almost stiff, then lay some aluminium foil over the JB paste (to provide a release point) then put your brake pads back in place, assemble the brakes and very carefully squeeze the brakes just enough for the JB to be pushed even with the still true machined surface.   Release hand pressure and leave for 24 hours .....

24 hours takes a long time, don't it?

Take your pocket knife and trim the excess aluminium foil away.   If you want, you can file the JB ooze so everything matches up.   You now got you a custom "true to your rotor" fit again.

(hey, grab a part of the rotor that doesn't have any lumps on it, OK?)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/12/13 at 10:18:15

You've obviouisly worn the backside of the caliper.
I'm gonna assume it's opened up and possibly not square anymore since just putting everything in the right place didn't fix it.

So replacing the caliper is probably your best bet.

WWW   IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #6 - 02/12/13 at 12:02:10

Thanks, JOG.  You got it, the pads were together on the side of the "hockey puck".  And thanks for the reassurance - definitely felt like a dummy as soon as I figured out what had happened.

What I don't understand is why can I now push the lever all the way down and still be able to roll the bike?

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 02/12/13 at 12:23:15

Ouch. You lost quite a bit of metal from the caliper - I'd just start looking for a replacement especially if you're having a hard time even getting it to work.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 02/12/13 at 15:34:09

Did you loosen the hose while working on the brakes?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #9 - 02/12/13 at 17:44:02

Thanks, all.  OldFeller, I like your advice on filing down the caliper - this would save me the money/time to buying a new caliper. I think I'll try this first before replacing it completely, if necessary.  The only thing I don't understand is why, with everything in the right place, I can push the lever all the way down.

JOG - no, I didn't purposely loosen the hose.  And I didn't need to remove or add any fluid from the master cylinder.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 02/12/13 at 18:05:05

Answer one quick question, is the piston in the caliper actually moving at the exact same whole time the lever is moving?  If the lever moves and the piston isn't moving at any point in the stroke, you got air in your system.

If so, then you need to bleed the brakes to correct your issue.  Likely you need to check again that all the pieces are in place correctly and then bleed your brakes to get full hydraulic pressure back.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #11 - 02/12/13 at 18:38:00

denis,

You've probably already done this, but you can expect that it will take several pumps of the brake lever to move the slave piston out far enough to squeeze the pad against the rotor.

If you pump more than, oh, 20 times with no joy, it's time to look elsewhere.

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 02/13/13 at 10:11:39

Yea, I remember the day I slapped pads on a car at a friends house.I didnt pump to get a pedal, drove away, ran the first stop sign in an absolute PANIC!  Ive learned Quite a Bit in the years since.
When we press the puck in to make room for pads & rotor we hafta work the brakes till the pads press against the rotor before we have brakes again,.

IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #13 - 02/15/13 at 16:39:03

OK, so I'm still a newbie at this.  What's the difference between bleeding the system and simply draining the fluid out of the hose and then refilling it through the master cylinder?

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #14 - 02/15/13 at 19:22:48

denistheruski wrote on 02/15/13 at 16:39:03:
OK, so I'm still a newbie at this.  What's the difference between bleeding the system and simply draining the fluid out of the hose and then refilling it through the master cylinder?

short & sweet answer?

Bleeding removes any air that gets into the system  Grin.

Draining and refilling without bleeding can introduce air into the system  Sad .

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:18:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Messed up my caliper ... need help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.