Send Topic Print
Can This Case Be Saved (Read 195 times)
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Can This Case Be Saved
02/09/13 at 19:45:04

Newb from Indiana here who's long been an admirer of the thumper. Recently stumbled on a 99 Savage with 6800 miles and not a speck of rust for $400. And then I promptly read this forum in its entirety (which takes a while) before resorting to a post. I've just got one little question which I'll get to in subsequent posts. Stay tuned.

Ron

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Re: Can This Case Be Saved
Reply #1 - 02/09/13 at 20:33:55

Sweet looking little thumper for $400, wouldn't you say? Almost seems too good to be true.

But you see, this bike comes with a story. And I love bikes with a story. It seems the PO was "staying with" with an individual who had an "ex" that was apparently not altogether enthralled with this new living arrangement. Moreover, the "ex" was the proud owner of a sledge hammer and by all accounts fancied himself quite adept in the use of his sledge hammer. As you might expect, in a chemically enhanced domonstration of artistic expression, and to reflect his displeasure with the new "living arrangement", he arrived late one night and commenced practicing "The Art of the Sledge Hammer". Didn't ya just know alcohol was gonna be involved?

Sadly, our little Savage became the artistic medium of the disenchanted sledge hammer sculptor who apparently took offense to the aesthetics of the tank, carb and clutch cover and promptly took it upon himself to do a bit of reshaping of those particular items as evidenced in the pic below.

Clearly, that tanks not gonna buff out and I'm now questioning whether JB Weld's gonna work for that clutch cover. None the less, replacement parts were secured for a mere $150 which would still make for a very reasonable little thumper.

However, when I removed the clutch cover and clutch I encountered damage that wasn't evident from the outside. It seems one of the sledge hammer blows smeared the heads of the 2 bolts on the case at the rear  of the starter and the forces traveled downward into the well that encirles the lower portion of the starter resulting in the 3 cracks as seen in the pic below.

And finally to the question. Could I stop drill the cracks and tig them up in place? The cracks would not appear to be in a highly stressed region and thus should not jeopardize the integrity of the case. I really don't relish the thought of tearing this engine down to swap out cases.

Your thoughts, prayers and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And for the record, yes the head plug leaks and no its not yet been Versied. But wouldn't we all hope that one day our name too would be used as a verb.

This forum's the best. Thanks!
Ron

« Last Edit: 02/09/13 at 22:20:30 by DieselBob »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/09/13 at 21:43:54

This is an important section as you gotta oil channel above.  
I'd wonder if the face was flat and will it seal against 50 psi.
Check the other side too.

I'd rather find a low mileage bottom end than deal with it.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 02/09/13 at 22:24:44

Well,.. Versy does have the most rightful, and respected, title of "verb"...
....but,.. what is there to lose with trying?...
If your fix fails,.. you can probably buy a scrap engine as cheap as a bottom end?...
...(I guess, my question would be,..."Do you have a friend with a trailer?)... Grin... Just in case?...

In either case, (pun, craftily intended),...
I can't help but see an abused, dog pound dog,... finding a new life...
Hope you get her back on her feet...
Wink...

PS,... I'm most certain that both you, and Versy, have more knowledge in the art case integrity... but, I can't help but encourage, experimentation...
Huh...

Best luck,
Serow

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #4 - 02/09/13 at 23:09:07

Crafty indeed Serow, very good.
Wink

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/10/13 at 05:51:30

Motorcycle cases can be welded.  In your situation you don't need high penetration or a strong weld.  You mention TIG but TIG does require that the base metal is melted and does generate a fair amount of heat.  A MIG welder can be set up to minimize heat and still deposit material very quickly.  If you can find a welder with experience in doing this sort of thing and one who is patient enough to weld only a small section at a time and let it cool before continuing then I think you have a chance for success.

Since you plan to weld it I don't know if stop drilling is necessary.  The weld and the heat should alleviate any existing stress concentrations at the end of the cracks and the welds will be wide enough to spread out any future stresses.  If you drill what will the drill hit when it pops through the case on the inside?  And where will the chips go?  I would  weld the ends of the cracks first, then the center, and fill in the rest.  With lots of air cooling time in between each weld.  I might be tempted to take a Dremel and grind out a very small bevel along the sides of the crack before welding.

I once had a case on a classic bike that was in three separate peices.  I can weld but I hired a welder who frequently welded aluminum to MIG it back together.  He charged me about $15, it was worth it.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 02/10/13 at 07:58:00

The problem I see here has nothing to do with it holding oil or pressure. The case is obviously misshapen and the gears most likely do not mesh properly anymore. This is a lost cause.

IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #7 - 02/10/13 at 08:35:25

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. Versy, your point regarding the oil pressure is perhaps the most pressing concern. While the mating face of the case is flawless and free of a crack,I failed to check it for flatness. Indeed, it may be sufficiently deformed that it wouldn't hold pressure. And then, a swap out is in order.

And yet as noted, what do I have to lose? While I don't have a trailer, I have a pickup with loading ramps. And although I have MIG capabilities, I think this would be one for a professional. The welder I use for the "hard" work is just a stone's throw from my shop and is also an old biker who does great work for his biker customoers. My thoughts on stop drilling are rooted in aircraft aluminum work, not considering that it wouldn't be needed when welding. And I can do the dremel tool work.

With regard to a misshapen case, it is indeed. However the area affected is not in the transmission case. The backside is open to the area that holds the starter and thus gear engagement is likely unaffected. I suspect Versy's point regarding oil pressure containment is the crusical point.

So, with all due respect Versy, I think I'm going the check for flatness and if true, go for a weldup. And if she returns on the back of the pickup I will be back on here with profuse apologies and all due reverance. Perhaps one more opportunity to demonstate that the newb should've listened in the first place.

I'll keep you posted with updates as the drama unfolds.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/10/13 at 08:40:36

So, he beat up the MOtorcycle?: REally? OHHH, What a Mayun!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #9 - 02/10/13 at 09:34:59

I have a complete bottom end & 4-speed tranny, crankshaft & connecting rod from an 1988 savage that has 17,000 miles on it. I don't know if the 4-speed and 5-speed cases are the same...anyone know? I will post a pic of it later today. Asking 149.95 plus S&H.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #10 - 02/10/13 at 09:36:20

OOPS! I forgot to mention I also have the clutch cover you need. $59.95 plus S&H.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 02/10/13 at 09:52:10

Not a bad price on a bottom end

the late model top end will go on there nicely, but I'd rather have the late model cases and starter torque limiter.

and you will have to swap out the rotor cause the timing's different between the two.

WWW   IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #12 - 02/10/13 at 10:04:50

That is indeed a good price for a relatively low mileage bottom end. I'd really like to stick with the 5 speed if I could and I've got the replacement side cover. But thanks. Remains to be seen if I need to scrap this one - and sadly with only 6800 miles.

IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/10/13 at 11:53:21

If it were me I would try and save the existing case with tig welding the cracks. I don't see a problem with trying it first. You wanted the bike for a deal right? What do you have to lose at this point? If it doesn't work what are you out but the price of welding it and a clutch cover you can buy on e-bay for 20 bucks? The oil passage looks like it's still intact and the cracks look to be fairly close together. Weld her up and give it a shot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:29:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can This Case Be Saved

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.