Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
lean - but still a mean/ fightin machine (Read 167 times)
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
lean - but still a mean/ fightin machine
02/08/13 at 11:42:12

I saw Dooley's thread on running lean   and it reminded me of a reoccurring thought    I purchased a brand new 2011 S40 in August 2012    it backfired on me as I left the dealership(I would say stealership - but at $3,999  I felt like I got a steal)   anyway - I pulled the brass plug and opened up the idle mixure   now - if I had left it completely stock(or did what I did)  could it cause any damage(i.e.  burn a piston - which I saw more than once working in an engine shop from 1987-92) ?  Undecided

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: lean - but still a mean/ fightin machine
Reply #1 - 02/08/13 at 11:45:35

Very doubtful...   A badly clogged jet might,.. or running with a short open pipe...

Stock lean jetting,... would probably just run a bit hot, and blue yer' pipe some,.. and pop/backfire more...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dooley
YaBB Newbies

Palm Harbor, FL
Reply #2 - 02/08/13 at 11:59:56

I noticed that when I first got mine it backfired more then it does now. Even before I changed the pipe. I have heard some people say that it slows up as time goes on. I am not sure about that,, it might be. But I think it had more to do with me learning the bike and how to throttle down to lessen the backfire.

IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #3 - 02/08/13 at 12:06:11

Serowbot - thanks - and I won't apologize for stealing your life - life was good back in the 70's   hopefully one of these years(always in late June) you'll make it up here to attend a Hodaka Days event - for those of us who have fond memories of the "Good Old Days"      Cool

IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #4 - 02/08/13 at 12:21:18

My 2006 is still 100% stock after 20,000+ miles and knock on wood, I haven't and any trouble with it.  If you follow the link in my sig and scroll down to the 8/25/2009, you can see pictures of what it looked like after about 8000 miles.  This is it in the Maker's Mark parking lot last spring around 14000 miles and, as you can tell, it's not much worse:

However, I don't tend to ride it hard and most of my rides don't involve many interstate miles.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #5 - 02/08/13 at 12:39:26

sjaskow - 100% stock ?    have you done anything in those 20,000 miles   such as re-torque the head bolts  or anything to the tensioner ?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/08/13 at 18:26:51

Torquing head bolts isnt a mod. It would still be 100% stock if he had.
Adding a Verslavy isnt a performance mod. No change in jetting or exhaust, simply a safety measure & life extender for the chain. Affects nothing in terms of How it Runs.

YOu a barber or just enjoy hair splitting?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #7 - 02/09/13 at 11:23:38

Doug B wrote on 02/08/13 at 12:39:26:
sjaskow - 100% stock ?    have you done anything in those 20,000 miles   such as re-torque the head bolts  or anything to the tensioner ?

Other than having Dunlop D404s with 140/90 rear, EBC brake pads and an OEM windscreen, it's still exactly the way it rolled off of the assembly line.

I've checked the head bolts a couple of times and they've always been within spec. I guess I should crack the cases and take a look at the tensioner but since the chain noise isn't any different now than it has been since I've owned it, I haven't bothered.

I bought the bike new with .1 miles on it, so I know how it's been taken care of.  You can't really say that about a used one.

And not to re-fan the oil war, but it's had Mobil 1 V-twin Synthetic 10w40 with an OEM Suzuki filter since approximately 2400 miles.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #8 - 02/11/13 at 07:11:13

thanks sjaskow - I just wanted to know if you've had to do anything to your bike in those 20,000 plus miles - its good to know that you haven't - the 2 main reasons for me buying new were the low price(on clearance) and that it was new(I thought I might get several riding seasons without getting stuck somewhere, and/or having costly repairs - mine also had 0.1 miles on it - I've used AMSOIL after the break in(600 miles)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 02/12/13 at 07:34:22

& yes, you really should have a look at that chain. The thing Will need replaced & youre about 5,000 miles past where I did mine. MIne woulda made that, I believe. One thing is a certainty, it Will need a new chain. When is the only question. 20,000 is about the top end of the projected place for it on the newer ones. IIRC, some of the older models ran a good bit farther. IF your rides are generally longer Then the engine isnt going thru the same number of Heat up & Cool Down cycles, which is when the cam chain tensioner grabs another tooth on the ratchet. So, longer rides tends to = longer cam chain life.
Tensioner spitting guts into cavity tends to terminate engines.
Is it worth the risk?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 03:20:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › lean - but still a mean/ fightin machine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.