Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question about running lean and heat issue (Read 222 times)
gone fishing

Re: Question about running lean and heat issue
Reply #15 - 02/10/13 at 12:21:46

gone fishing

« Last Edit: 02/27/13 at 06:01:20 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 02/11/13 at 03:10:27

Dooley wrote on 02/10/13 at 11:05:45:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/10/13 at 10:51:48:
Gyrobob wrote on 02/09/13 at 11:07:01:
Max cylinder temp happens with a perfect stoichiometric ratio, approx 14.7:1.  If you are rich (maybe 12:1) or lean (maybe 16:1) of that point, the cylinder temp goes down.

The danger from lean mixtures is from detonation, not heat.  Lean temps can burn unevenly, or even too rapidly which can lead to detonation, even though the temps are not as high as with a 14.7:1 ratio.

...Im thinking Bob meant to say Lean Mixtures can burn unevenly blahdeblaaahblaah & so on,,....

Anyway, if the fuel gets hot enough to catch on fire before the spark plug fires, thats detonation. If its doing that while the piston is still headed up, then thats pounding the POO outta bearings at the very least. What other damage mite it cause? I Dunno,, Thats just MY imagination at work there.

What does it matter that flame front propagation is uneven? I can see it affecting power, but I dont see it hurting equipment. Bob may well correct me on that.
I hope others will explain further the problems detonation can cause.

I understand. Like a diesel engine fires with out a spark plug due to pressure. So on an extremely lean engine there can be a detonation happen before the actual "ignition".

What would cause of such a lean setting that would cause this? I would think that at some point would the bike even run with so little flue? Would you know it if you heard it?  

Thanks
Dooley

Yes, I meant mixture, not temp.  Good catch.

There are two situations which can lead to the mixture burning too soon, and eventually doing damage.
-- Preignition, where the mixture is ignited before the spark occurs, mostly caused by hot spots acting like a glow-plug in a model aircraft engine.
-- Detonation, where the spark ignites the mixture, but for any of several reasons, the mixture explodes instead of burning evenly.  Lean mixtures could cause this.

Here is a really good explanation of the difference between the two:

http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 02/12/13 at 13:13:16

The engine will not run if it goes beyond the limits of too lean or too rich.  Generally this situtaion does not occur at all throttle settings simultaneously - so generally you will get an engine that can be started, but may not idle, or may not take throttle, etc.  When an engine gets really lean they tend to backfire through the carb when you open the throttle....however the CV carb might mask this situation a bit as the drop in vacuum will allow the diaphragm to drop - which will increase the vacuum and pull in more fuel.

You might be overthinking this...without trying some things yourself.  You should do the standard 3 washer trick....and see how it works on yoru bike.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 07:16:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about running lean and heat issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.