Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Frozen carb drain plug screw (Read 235 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Frozen carb drain plug screw
02/07/13 at 06:54:15

Weather's been iffy enough so I'm not likely to ride for a couple more weeks and I wanted to drain the carb, only to discover that the screw is frozen. PB Blaster, gentle tapping with a screwdriver, tapping on each side to try to unseize it so far has not loosened it, and I'm wary of applying a vice grips to it for fear of shearing it off. Any suggestions on how to unfreeze this screw?

Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Frozen carb drain plug screw
Reply #1 - 02/07/13 at 08:45:55

There's not a lot of magic to getting a screw out...
Penetrating oil, a good fitting bit, and torque...

In the case of the drain screw,... if you can remove the floatbowl entirely,.. and put it on a bench, you can really get at the screw, and probably remove it cleanly...
Trying to work, upside down, on a rubber mounted carb, is a prescription for boogered screws...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 02/07/13 at 09:08:30

Serowbot wrote on 02/07/13 at 08:45:55:
There's not a lot of magic to getting a screw out...
Penetrating oil, a good fitting bit, and torque...

In the case of the drain screw,... if you can remove the floatbowl entirely,.. and put it on a bench, you can really get at the screw, and probably remove it cleanly...
Trying to work, upside down, on a rubber mounted carb, is a prescription for boogered screws...
Wink...

....also, if you take off the float bowl you can heat up the bowl and remove the screw easier. The reason why it sticks is that it is a taper.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #3 - 02/07/13 at 09:53:49

Thanks. I'll have to wait until the upcoming storm passes and it warms up to do this. Hopefully the screws on the float bowl are also not stuck, though I gather these are easier to remove.

- David
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/07/13 at 17:29:43

I took the advice of people on this forum and bought an inexpensive impact driver from Harbor Freight before I touched the carburator.  It worked great and I had no problem with any of the screws.  When I reassembled the carb I used Allen head cap screws.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #5 - 02/07/13 at 18:10:04

Thanks. I have the impact driver. Once the storm clears and it warms up a bit, I'll try that before I try removing the float bowl, though given that the carb is rubber mounted I am doubtful the driver will loosen up the screw while the float bowl is still on the carb.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/07/13 at 18:34:54

DavidOfMA wrote on 02/07/13 at 18:10:04:
Thanks. I have the impact driver. Once the storm clears and it warms up a bit, I'll try that before I try removing the float bowl, though given that the carb is rubber mounted I am doubtful the driver will loosen up the screw while the float bowl is still on the carb.

I just came home and it is 55 degrees, the sky is clear.....I didn't see any storm?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 02/08/13 at 19:22:45

If the carb bowl screws are reluctant, just take the whole carb off and set it on the bench to get to everything easily.  Once you have done it once or twice it only takes about 15-20 minutes to get the carb off,... way less time than it will take to repair boogered up or sheared off carb bowl screws.

When you tried tapping the drain screw from side to side did you see it move any at all?  
-- It will not move at all when frozen, but it will move a few hundredths (a barely visible amount) when it does start to break free.  
-- One way to note if there is any movement is to get a Sharpie and color the screw and its surroundings completely.  
-- Once that is done, if the screw moves even a teense, you'll notice the bare metal uncovered by the movement.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #8 - 02/08/13 at 19:51:36

Thanks for the tips on loosening frozen screws. I didn't see it move, but I'll try the Sharpie trick. But unfortunately, not for a while, as we're in the midst of a major blizzard here, and I have no garage or shop (bike's parked under a cover in the driveway). Hopefully I had enough fuel stabilizer in there the last time I went riding to keep the carb from getting too gummed up before I get a chance to ride again, else I'll have to remove it anyway to clean it and can fix all the frozen screws then.

- David
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 02/09/13 at 17:52:15

If the drain screw is OEM, I believe that it has a modified JIS-head (or, at least, mine does.

You're best off using a JIS screwdriver to remove same.

Several years ago, when I got the OEM drain screw off of mine (see signature), I reused said screw, but treated its threads with a bit of Anti-Seize first.  End of problem.

Also, don't know if this will help you, but on mine, one could even use a flat-head screwdriver to remove the drain screw.  YMMV!

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #10 - 02/09/13 at 19:42:00

Yes, mine has the combined flat head / philips head drain screw. Couldn't budge it with a flat head, either. At some point I'll take the carb off and loosen everything up but right now there are 4-6' snow drifts hereabouts. I'd hoped to drain the float bowl before winter set in with a vengeance, but I appear to be too late.

- David
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 02/10/13 at 03:00:18

A  common improvement is to replace all the existing machine screws (with Phillips or JIS threads) with stainless allen head screws.  That way you can always get enough torque on them, especially in tight places where there might not be room for a screwdriver.

Another thing I do is to put a smudge of RTV on the threads right before reassembly.
-- It keeps the threads from deteriorating and/or rusting from galvanic (dissimilar metal) corrosion.
-- It glues the threads together a little bit,.. just enough to provide some protection against coming loose, but nowhere near enough to lock them up like real glue.  Even if the fastener loosens a bit, the cured RTV keeps it from spinning off due to vibration.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 02/10/13 at 08:48:09

Ive found that once I moved a screw its stayed "workable" for me. Of course, I use oil & anti-sieze on things. Clean it up once its in your hands, oil it before it goes back. BUT, If youre gonna want to mess with it, you know a danged allen head would be ever so much easier to work with up under there. MInes stock, & I have no problem draining mine, but some people have a hard time working up under there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #13 - 02/10/13 at 09:06:20

Thanks for all your suggestions. Storm's passed, sun's up, starting to warm up. Rain all day tomorrow, but maybe I can get to it on Tuesday.

- David
  IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #14 - 02/10/13 at 14:26:35

The drain plug screw has a fine thread, would not be easy to find one with an allen head... About the bolts holding the bowl and the lid at the top, right! Best way to change them into stainless allen bolts if you ever get the carb from its place.

Here in Europe that drain plugs have a phillips head and 10mm hexagonal combined. So what about over there?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 09:22:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Frozen carb drain plug screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.