Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bending Cam chain guide (Read 260 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Bending Cam chain guide
Reply #15 - 02/09/13 at 18:03:14

Doug B wrote on 02/05/13 at 15:37:06:
....verslagen1 - brand new(as I aquired my bike in August 2012)  how far do you think the plunger was extended ?  

Digger wrote on 02/05/13 at 18:52:45:
11mm?

Doug B wrote on 02/08/13 at 11:53:19:
Digger - thanks - I just read your response - 11mm - on what do you(or verslagen1/or anyone else) base your answer  and at what point(mileage or otherwise) would you suggest physically/visually checking this measurement ?    Undecided

Ooopers!

I thought you had actually checked the plunger extension and were quizzing us.  I thought it was a contest!  I'm so confused....   Embarrassed

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 02/09/13 at 22:32:00

No, this whole thread has been converted to a classical "maybe -- what if" thread.  As such maybe it should end about now.

Grin

The original poster understands the purpose of the mod but was simply seeking a way to know when it is time to do it.  

He also was asking about rebending the guides, which I do do and have seen some minor lasting benefit but not enough to avoid a Slaggy extra hole.   I did see enough benefit to get me back to a zero origin on the extra hole (bending only took out the guide surface wear effect, that's about all)

Mileage is still the one good way to know when you have to do the extra hole, you still have to pull the side cover and do your first check at around 15,000 miles (or whenever you need to go in anyway to fix a push rod length if that is earlier).  

13,000 miles mebbe isn't too early if circumstances work out that way, it just gives you more wiggle room before the ovaling of the aluminium housing starts.   Earlier than that, you may not have enough room for the extra hole yet.

Your "fail" check is always when the cam chain slapping noises start.

Simple enough, original poster's question has been answered plenty.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 02/09/13 at 23:18:49

I bought a bike once,.. with less than 4k miles on it,.. and it was 23mm out on the cam plunger...
My personal bike, was 21mm out at 24k miles...
(both,.. somewhat past the safe area)... and both got a Versy modded plunger...

I believe it is very dependent on whether you do short, errand rides, or longer (25 mile +) rides... and, secondarily, the frequency, and quality, of oil changes...
...(I would imagine also,.. the amount of hard accel and decel.... excepting that,.. I'm sure I do that a great deal more than an average noobie rider, and mine lasted for 24k miles,... against a noob, female rider, with only 4k miles, practically ruining one)...
Unless,... my 97' has a better quality chain than an 03'?..
Huh...
...(I think It just took a mental Australian "walkabout"...)... Grin...
That's what comes of typing ahead of my thoughts...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 02/10/13 at 08:59:23

I've sold verslavies to people whose bike has gone tap happy at... I think as early as 5k miles.

So be aware, teach your ankles to listen and get a mech's steth and listen to the engines happy sounds before she gets ill.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 15:14:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bending Cam chain guide

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.