Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about stock forks and lowered (Read 124 times)
fastbub
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Question about stock forks and lowered
02/04/13 at 02:32:15

I wanted to see if somebody has a measurement of their stock fork height. Maybe from the top of the lower leg seal to the bottom of the lower fork clamp.

I lowered my forks the other night but forgot to take a before measurement and wanted to see if I netted the drop I was looking for.

Thanks in advance for the help!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Question about stock forks and lowered
Reply #1 - 02/04/13 at 11:52:00

6 1/4 inches on mine from the bottom of the lower triple tree to the rubber. (2006 w/ about 10,000 miles)

IP Logged
fastbub
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/04/13 at 15:02:06

Thanks a million! I just checked the measurement against mine and I am a little less than the 2 1/2" I made the spacers but it is just the frame fork and wheels on there right now so I imagine it will drop a bit when I have a motor, tank, seat etc etc....

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 02/05/13 at 05:40:50

fastbub wrote on 02/04/13 at 15:02:06:
Thanks a million! I just checked the measurement against mine and I am a little less than the 2 1/2" I made the spacers but it is just the frame fork and wheels on there right now so I imagine it will drop a bit when I have a motor, tank, seat etc etc....

I am not sure it will drop at all.  If you made spacers that hold the starting position down 2.5" - your springs are now preloaded significantly.  They may not move from the weight of the bike alone.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
fastbub
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/05/13 at 18:10:23

Dave wrote on 02/05/13 at 05:40:50:
fastbub wrote on 02/04/13 at 15:02:06:

I am not sure it will drop at all.  If you made spacers that hold the starting position down 2.5" - your springs are now preloaded significantly.  They may not move from the weight of the bike alone.  

No the spacers are made for the dampening rod. The spacers on top of the springs are cut 2.5" shorter. 2.5" spacers are added on top of the spring on the dampening rod in order to for the dampening to work properly at the lowered height. As I indicated, my measurements are now 2.25 inches lower than the stock measurements but with only the frame, fork and wheels right now. I am more than sure the added weight of the rest of the bike being assembled will result in at least a 1/4" more of sag in the front end.

If you are confused, check out the how to on chopcult.com by punkskalar. It shows how this mod is done.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/06/13 at 04:48:32

OK....I didn't realize that the top spacers were cut down.  That would elminate the springs from adding a lot of pre-load.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 02/06/13 at 07:47:04

Here's the How-To from chopcult.com

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7129

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 05:34:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about stock forks and lowered

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.