Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Condensation and short circuits? (Read 216 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Condensation and short circuits?
01/30/13 at 09:23:31

Warmer day today, morning off, wanted to take my bike out for an hour or so. It's been very cold here (down to 4F), then warmer and rainy. Took the bike cover off, lots of condensation. Tried to start it, no juice at all. Battery is completely flat. Couldn't push start it, either.

I don't think it naturally discharged, as I usually ride for a good hour and it started fine last time I rode, 10 days ago. More likely some kind of short, possibly related to the condensation. Charging the battery now, but if the bike does have a short and the charge won't hold, where do I start looking?

- David
  IP Logged
gone fishing

Re: Condensation and short circuits?
Reply #1 - 01/30/13 at 09:44:18

gone fishing

« Last Edit: 02/27/13 at 06:05:32 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/30/13 at 10:32:37

Don't know about your electrical problem - but I can comment on condensation.  When your bike gets cold, really cold.....and then the air gets warm and/or rainy....your bike is going to get soaked under a cover.  The bike is cold and the warmer, humid air allows moisture in the air to condense on the cold surfaces.  Some surfaces will warm up quickly (seat, pegs, grips, levers) - but the heavier stuff (engine, fuel in tank, frame, wheel hubs) will take a long time to warm up and will stay wet for a long time.  You need a cover that is vented or can breath to allow the moisture not to become trapped under the cover.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #3 - 01/30/13 at 13:01:31

Any suggestions for a cover that will protect against rain and snow but at the same time breathe enough to protect against condensation? These seem like opposite requirements. (I have no garage and bike is parked in the driveway protected only by the cover.)

- David
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #4 - 01/30/13 at 13:04:07

gone fishing wrote on 01/30/13 at 09:44:18:
I have to be careful about turning mine to off instead of park. The key will come out in both positions only in park the tail light is on.

The first of the month I went to start mine and the battery was dead after sitting 10 days. It was the battery that came in it and only 9 months old. I could charge it and it would go back down with two revolutions of the engine.

I bought a new Yuasa AGM maint free battery, Man that thing rocks. I have had no further problems.

Oh yeah, I have never had one to run down due to condensation but I guess anything is possible.

A battery that just died is a cheaper problem than trying to sort out an electrical problem. Hope that's all it is. If so, I'll go with your battery recommendation. Battery is about 10 months old.

- David
  IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #5 - 01/30/13 at 13:36:23

gone fishing

« Last Edit: 02/27/13 at 06:05:55 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/30/13 at 14:14:31

although I don't think it's a problem, but a few here had their decomp controler fill up with water causing it to corrode and fail.  And I believe that's a circuit that's on all the time.

I'd double check the amperage in the off condition.

WWW   IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #7 - 01/30/13 at 15:06:28

verslagen1 wrote on 01/30/13 at 14:14:31:
although I don't think it's a problem, but a few here had their decomp controler fill up with water causing it to corrode and fail.  And I believe that's a circuit that's on all the time.

Thanks. Where is it and how would I check to see if it's causing a battery drain?

- David
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 01/30/13 at 15:22:26

Little black box on a rubber bracket attached to the frame over the top of the carburetor. Right where water can roll down the tank and into the connector plug. Which isn't sealed (and the looks sealed but is not sealed relay sucks in water like a dry sponge). Thank you Suzuki for another cut rate cop out part...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 01/30/13 at 19:17:57

WD wrote on 01/30/13 at 15:22:26:
Little black box on a rubber bracket attached to the frame over the top of the carburetor. Right where water can roll down the tank and into the connector plug. Which isn't sealed (and the looks sealed but is not sealed relay sucks in water like a dry sponge). Thank you Suzuki for another cut rate cop out part...

WD I have not had mine apart to see how it's made so a question........is it possible to seal the controller with RTV silicon or liquid electrical tape without causing overtemp or shorting issues?

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #10 - 01/31/13 at 13:49:24

verslagen1 wrote on 01/30/13 at 14:14:31:

Battery won't take a full charge and seems to have a shorted cell, so maybe that's the only problem I'm having - or maybe a short killed the battery. Checked the resistance between + and ground and it seems to be about 1000 ohms. If I remember Ohm's law correctly, that's only a 12 milliamp drain, which isn't much. Anyone know what the circuit resistance should be? Can't check the amperage as I don't have a functioning battery (though I guess I could hook the bike up to my car battery to check, if the resistance check is not reliable).

The only thing I did between shutting the bike off 10 days ago and trying to start it up was spray corrosion protectant on the metal surfaces. Seems unlikely it's a conductor, but if 1000 ohms is abnormal I'll look for places I may have created a short while I'm waiting for the battery recommended here to arrive.

Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 01/31/13 at 19:05:57

Dielectric grease should seal up the spade terminals where they come out of the very thin later of epoxy in the relay body. As for sealing the connector to relay junction... haven't found a way yet. Deleted it on mine,  deleting the decompression solenoid and switching to a choke cable off a Harley. Less electrical nonsense to go wrong. Deleting the switch boxes is almost finished as well...

Wish it was that easy to add ignition points on a breaker plate off the cam end, or add a real kick starter. And a real coil with changeable plug wire instead of the untized plastic blob that passes as a coil/wire combo...  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #12 - 01/31/13 at 19:20:48

WD wrote on 01/31/13 at 19:05:57:
Dielectric grease should seal up the spade terminals where they come out of the very thin later of epoxy in the relay body. As for sealing the connector to relay junction... haven't found a way yet. Deleted it on mine,  deleting the decompression solenoid and switching to a choke cable off a Harley. Less electrical nonsense to go wrong. Deleting the switch boxes is almost finished as well...

Wish it was that easy to add ignition points on a breaker plate off the cam end, or add a real kick starter. And a real coil with changeable plug wire instead of the untized plastic blob that passes as a coil/wire combo...  Angry

Points and a kicker would be a plus!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 02/01/13 at 00:09:26

I'd say I'm showing my age, but, since I'm only ( Roll Eyes) 40... Both Hondas have points, one (1963) is for sure kick only (with DUAL points), the 1971 I can't remember how it is set up (other than single point). I've had later model Yammerscammer XSs... I don't trust CDI boxes...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 02/01/13 at 18:31:07

I grew up with points.  Spent a few afternoons in camp filing and adjusting same (remember the dollar bill trick?).

Glad to see 'em go.....JMHO!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 03:28:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Condensation and short circuits?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.