scannerzer
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

northern ireland
leak from foot pegs
01/29/13 at 13:27:51

just pulled my  ls 650  from it's winter hibernation

and it seems to have developed an unusual oil leak from the 2 lower footpeg/engine
mounts .does anyone know if there are O rings or oil seals in here,if i need parts i'd
like to have them to hand before taking it apart.

the reason for pulling it out in the first place was to inspect the timing chain tensioner

thanks

eddie

1990 ls 650 Met red,4speed
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: leak from foot pegs
Reply #1 - 01/29/13 at 14:51:14

Don't worry about it.

oil collects in those hoses and doesn't leak out till those bolts are loosened.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 01/29/13 at 21:00:51

verslagen1 wrote on 01/29/13 at 14:51:14:
Don't worry about it.

oil collects in those hoses and doesn't leak out till those bolts are loosened.

Yep, snug up the nut on that through-bolt.

Even if you're in the middle of a job, snug it up until you need for it to be loose again......prevents a mess!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/30/13 at 06:02:11

I just had my engine apart this summer, and even split the cases.  I used Suzuki Bond to put the cases back together....and it didn't leak a drop anywhere.

A few weeks ago I took the footpeg bolts out to remove the pegs and cut the frame down for a RYCA/Cafe conversion.  I left the bolts out while waiting for my shorter bolts to arrive - and mine started to leak.  I put the long bolt back in with a spacer to take up the slack and tightened it back down.  I was surprised that the bike would leak in this location just from having the bolts loose - the engine was not run while the bolts were removed.

Tighten your bolts back down and hopefully the leak will go away.....I am hoping it will on mine!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
scannerzer
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

northern ireland
Reply #4 - 01/30/13 at 11:26:41

thanks for the reassurance guys it's good to know it's not a major problem as i'm going to have a look at the timing chain tensioner
I'll not worry about it until after I've got that done

thanks again

eddie

1990 ls 650 Met red,4speed
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 01/30/13 at 19:27:44

Same story here Eddie. Mine was leaking and after advice from the gang here I snugged the nut on the throughbolt and no more leaks. Well not there anyway  Cheesy

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #6 - 01/31/13 at 05:15:57

ZAR wrote on 01/30/13 at 19:27:44:
no more leaks. Well not there anyway  Cheesy

Smiley  

Zar I'm pretty sure that if I went out to the garage and my bike (or any of my vehicles for that matter) WEREN'T leaking I'd start worrying then...seems like everything I've owned has had a leak.  On the topic of leaks...probably the most common question I get from people who know bikes is "You know you've got leaky seals in your front end right?"  Me: *looking at fork oil and dirt COVERING front rim and front of engine* "Really???  Where???"  Sorry had my old supervisor point it out yesterday when he was looking at the ride for the first time and I couldn't help but laugh about it.

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 01/31/13 at 06:43:03

newriverjunkie wrote on 01/31/13 at 05:15:57:
ZAR wrote on 01/30/13 at 19:27:44:
no more leaks. Well not there anyway  Cheesy

Smiley  

Zar I'm pretty sure that if I went out to the garage and my bike (or any of my vehicles for that matter) WEREN'T leaking I'd start worrying then...seems like everything I've owned has had a leak.  On the topic of leaks...probably the most common question I get from people who know bikes is "You know you've got leaky seals in your front end right?"  Me: *looking at fork oil and dirt COVERING front rim and front of engine* "Really???  Where???"  Sorry had my old supervisor point it out yesterday when he was looking at the ride for the first time and I couldn't help but laugh about it.

junkie we used to say you weren't a real biker if you didn't have oil spots on your living room carpet Wink! I've never owned a scoot that didn't leak oil. Of course the old line went something like that's the way we changed the oil in the HDs and Trumpets....just keep adding oil to replace what leaked out and you'd have an oil change in a month or so!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #8 - 01/31/13 at 08:12:59

The old Harleys had a chain oiler that came off the engine oil. It was a total loss system and designed to work that way.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 01/31/13 at 10:56:07

gone fishing wrote on 01/31/13 at 08:12:59:
The old Harleys had a chain oiler that came off the engine oil. It was a total loss system and designed to work that way.

Very true hexnut,but most of the HD's I was around also leaked engine oil like a sieve.

IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #10 - 01/31/13 at 11:52:13

None of mine leaked oil and I had a bunch of them. Of course I kept them in tip-top shape.

I rode this 1964 Panhead for several years and it didn't leak and never broke down on the road.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #11 - 01/31/13 at 12:02:55

Sweet scoot hexnut!

IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #12 - 01/31/13 at 12:47:29

Thanks, it was kick start only. I doubt I could start it now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 19:27:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › leak from foot pegs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.