Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Splutters, Surges and Dies (Read 89 times)
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Splutters, Surges and Dies
01/26/13 at 14:18:11

OK,

Once upon a time ago, my S40 went to the shop, got two new tires and was tuned up, then the rains started (Florida) and I let it set idle for 3 months.

When I started riding it again, it of course didn't run well.  Its been my experience if they sit more than two weeks, the gas seems to gum up the carb.

So... the odessey began.

When I would start it, sometimes it would run fine, other times the minute you cut the throttle to idle, it would die.  You could restart it but you had to hold the throttle WAY OPEN and keep it that way when you stopped or it would quite again.  Sometimes when going down the road in this condition if you opened the throttle up, it would surge and buck then die.

I assumed the accelerator pump in the carb might be sticky.  Somedays it ran just fine, so I put some Sea Foam through it and that didn't solve the problem.

This problem normally appeared almost immediately on startup, but one day, I drove it 10 miles and it was fine, only to act up on the last mile home.

By that point I figured it was trash in the tank, petcock or fuel filter, so I sent it to the shop.

They cleaned the carb, it started fine, I took it down the street about a 1/10 of a mile, it died I brought it back to them.  They flushed the petcock out and I drove it home.  Seemed fine.

Three days later I drove it and the electrics died entirely.  Towed it back to the shop, and they replaced the battery and some wires.  I picked it up, drove it 1/10 of a mile and then brought it back because the fuel problem appeared again.

The worked on it another day, test drove it 15 miles and gave it back to me today.  I drove it 8 miles home, no problem.

I took it out again this evening and ...splutters, surges, and dies.

At this point the shop has had 4 tries at fixing this, I hate to sent it back for try number 5.

Any suggestions on this?  I'm about at the point of tearing off every in front of the carburetor off to see if the problem goes away.  The bike is a 2006 with just under 9k miles.

I really don't consider myself better than average at repairs, but the shop isn't winning this one...LOL.

Thanks,

Hal

IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Splutters, Surges and Dies
Reply #1 - 01/26/13 at 14:57:27

Nevermind...

It's the petcock.  I was thinking about swapping it out just for the hell of it and came across a very nice video by txsizzler on YouTube showing how it is done.

I was watching the video when I suddenly realized, all I had to do to "test" the petcock was to switch it to PRIME when the problem occurred.

I took the bike out, ran it until the problem occurred then switched the petcock to PRIME and...

The problem vanished immediately.

Joy oh joy.  I can of course ride the bike with it set to prime and I am immediately ordering the raptor petcock so I can switch this out.

I lost count of the number of times I have heard about the "problem petcock" and assumed one day I would need to do this too.  I just didn't realize I would have to do it after no more than 9k miles.

After I switch it out, I am going to see just how far I can THROW the factory petcock.  Right now I think it might make it to Mars.

Thanks for the help, this would never have even occurred to me if I hadn't read it here first and seen the great video.

-Hal

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 01/27/13 at 19:57:00

Mine gave trouble from day one at 7400 miles but took about 1000 miles to figure it out. You now have no reserve.  Cheesy

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/28/13 at 19:56:07

I was afraid that might be the answer running on PRIME.  I have ordered the raptor petcock so I should have that soon.  

I use a small combo lock hanging off my right mirror to keep track of fuel.  I usually seem to get 110 miles on the main tank, so I normally just fill up every 100 miles.  I'll be very careful about that until I can make the petcock change over.

Thanks for the warning.

IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/02/13 at 09:18:52

Victory.  

I switched the stock petcock out for the Raptor 660 petcock this morning.  Hardest part was getting the hoses off.  The entire thing took less than 30 minutes and now my bike runs great.

There appears to be some subtle mechanical thing about getting gasoline out of the tank that just seems to make it run better...LOL.

Thanks for all the help,

Hal

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 05:34:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Splutters, Surges and Dies

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.