Send Topic Print
EBC Brake Pads (Read 232 times)
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
EBC Brake Pads
01/24/13 at 06:01:38

Having trouble figuring out what pads I need for the front brake.  Clymers doesn't list it (at least I couldn't find it in there).  From what I've gathered from the Tech section and some internet searching, I *think* I need EBC pads, part number FA106.  But when I search for that in Google and look at different online stores, I'm seeing pictures of the pads that look very different.

Could you guys point me to the right part?  And where's the best place to buy from?

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: EBC Brake Pads
Reply #1 - 01/24/13 at 06:15:04

I bought these from these folks on November 1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Kevlar-Organic-Front-Brake-Pads-1986-1988-Suzuki-...

The part number is fa106, as you mentioned.  They worked for me.  The price is the same as well.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #2 - 01/24/13 at 06:25:07

denistheruski wrote on 01/24/13 at 06:01:38:
Having trouble figuring out what pads I need for the front brake.  Clymers doesn't list it (at least I couldn't find it in there).  From what I've gathered from the Tech section and some internet searching, I *think* I need EBC pads, part number FA106.  But when I search for that in Google and look at different online stores, I'm seeing pictures of the pads that look very different.

Could you guys point me to the right part?  And where's the best place to buy from?

The front brakes was the first project i had to tackle on my pre-owned, ready to go dealership sold 2005. The rotor had excessive run-out on the hidden side and had to be replaced also.

Have you decieded on organic, semi-sintered or full sintered pads?

My brake rebuild consisted of a drilled EBC rotor #MD3017LS and EBC sintered pad pads  #FA106R. After a minor break in, they work just great.

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 01/24/13 at 06:30:31

denis the FA106 is what I'm using on my '96 and I'm very happy with them. I've ridden in all types of conditions(inculding a rainstorm that dropped 5" of rain in on hour Shocked )and they have not failed me yet.

I bought mine at a local independent shop for $32. Any of the well-known online sites like CycleGear, Motorcycle Superstore or Bike Bandit would be fine. I prefer them over the sites I've never heard of or the e-bay vendors cause I don't trust the e-bay scammers.

Oh yeah......the pics they show online....are just stock representitive photos instead of going to the trouble of posting a pic of each model of pad or shoe.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #4 - 01/24/13 at 06:35:00

ZAR wrote on 01/24/13 at 06:30:31:
denis the FA106 is what I'm using on my '96 and I'm very happy with them. I've ridden in all types of conditions(inculding a rainstorm that dropped 5" of rain in on hour Shocked )and they have not failed me yet.

I bought mine at a local independent shop for $32. Any of the well-known online sites like CycleGear, Motorcycle Superstore or Bike Bandit would be fine. I prefer them over the sites I've never heard of or the e-bay vendors cause I don't trust the e-bay scammers.

Oh yeah......the pics they show online....are just stock representitive photos instead of going to the trouble of posting a pic of each model of pad or shoe.

Yep, I got both mine through BikeBandit.com, whom seemed from comparison to be the cheapest all the way around on my items.

I too avoid Ebay, not just for the scammers. But for the fact if you log in a credit card and the sale is deputed in Pay Pal, your credit card account is locked till a resoulution is met. And i mean locked as in, no use what so ever anywhere else besides Ebay.

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #5 - 01/24/13 at 09:21:12

I last year too bought and established brake shoes of EBС. precisely I don't remember part number, but those blocks were established not at once as it is necessary. I had to grind off a little on a grinding stone - they were too thick. but later after several braking brake shoes entered into norm.

« Last Edit: 01/25/13 at 21:35:26 by wambr »  

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
denistheruski
YaBB Newbies

2005 Suzuki Savage

Austin, TX
Reply #6 - 01/24/13 at 11:56:10

Thanks for all of the replies.

rat907 wrote on 01/24/13 at 06:25:07:

Are all of these types compatible with the stock disc?  What are pros/cons?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/24/13 at 12:01:41

I use kevlar or the generic version thereof.  doesn't squeal, stops good.

WWW   IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #8 - 01/24/13 at 14:18:56

[quote author=4C4D46415B5C404D5A5D5B4341280 link=1359036098/0#6 date=1359057370]Thanks for all of the replies.

rat907 wrote on 01/24/13 at 06:25:07:

From what I understand (and using auto tech in the mix) is this.

organics or base pads are the low line run of the mill every day pad and they are cheapest to buy.

semi-sintered are a mix of organic or kevlar and copper, kind of like a semi-metallic brake pad and costs are higher than the base.

sintered pads are fully copper materials (copper strands compressed together under extreme pressure) heat bonded (also under high pressures) to a copper plated steel shoe or backing plate. aka metallic pad.

pros and cons, I am finding out myself since the compositions differ from automotive. I admit i use my front brake a hellova lot more than the rear most of the time (infact i hardly touch it). So finding out the pros and cons and swapping pad types will answer my questions of pro and con, possibly in short order.

Denny

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 01/24/13 at 17:14:54

verslagen1 wrote on 01/24/13 at 12:01:41:

Versy the packaging for the EBC pads on my scooter state they are Kelvar and organic fibers. Not sure how much Kelvar!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/24/13 at 17:17:58

ZAR wrote on 01/24/13 at 17:14:54:

Versy the packaging for the EBC pads on my scooter state they are Kelvar and organic fibers. Not sure how much Kelvar!

I bought some EBC's early on and didn't like them.  But your's might be a different compound.  mine were white and didn't stop worth sh!t.

WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #11 - 01/24/13 at 19:55:26

verslagen1 wrote on 01/24/13 at 17:17:58:
ZAR wrote on 01/24/13 at 17:14:54:

I bought some EBC's early on and didn't like them.  But your's might be a different compound.  mine were white and didn't stop worth sh!t.

Versy mine are a grayish media and a redish orange backplate. I've had to come to a quick  stop on I-71 a couple of times from 75mph and no problem. Also have done fine in a 5" per hour rainstorm for 25 miles. I've got about 1500 miles on them now so the next big test will be the Smokeys if I get to make the Dragon run. If they hold up there they will be AAA+++.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 01/24/13 at 20:44:00

I use Vesrah. I think VD 329. No squeal, but about $30.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 01/24/13 at 21:13:19

I like the "X" brand
had them on so long I forgot when I put the on... about 12k miles out of them

WWW   IP Logged
NorCalRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SF, California
Reply #14 - 01/25/13 at 13:24:07

I got the EBC Organic Kevlar FA106 from Amazon for $22.80 in December (they are now $26.75). Here is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GRZEZI

I installed them two weeks ago and even though the brakes are working great I think I made some noobie mistake which I will post under separate topic.

1999, Black, Raptor petcock, K&N air filter, otherwise stock. 5,800 miles.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 23:25:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › EBC Brake Pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.