Send Topic Print
Fairing idea's (Read 346 times)
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fairing idea's
01/21/13 at 17:10:34

Has anyone thought about putting a classic fairing or quarter fairing on a ryca kit?

Something like this maybe? Was bored today and drew this up.
« Last Edit: 01/21/13 at 20:45:59 by skelly15 »  

image_049.jpg
  IP Logged
Coaxial

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Fairing idea's
Reply #1 - 01/21/13 at 20:23:31

http://imgur.com

You cant link from your email. Drag and drop your image.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard S40 Black. K&N Air Filter, Jardine Rumbler Exhaust, Raptor Petcock.

145 Main Jet, 45 Pilot Jet, 1.5x
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 01/22/13 at 00:30:36

Have thought that an "SOA-style" bikini fairing would look great on a stock or Bobber-ized LS ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/23/13 at 10:12:56

I have been toying with just that idea.  If you hit up airtech-streamlining.com they have all the fairing options you might need.  I am looking at the Triumph "letterbox" style fairing.  I think I am going to turn the savage into a vintage racer style.  I've not seen it done yet....so I guess we can race to see who is first Smiley

This is my bike with the 750 tank I am going to use:

and a bike that has the general look I envision.

IP Logged
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/23/13 at 17:32:33

Yeah, I've seen that website and I cannot decide between a quarter,half, or full fairing. A fly screen like on the bsa mc1 is also tempting. How difficult was it to fit that tank to the savage frame? I'm worried that the savage tank is to wide for a fairing.

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/23/13 at 22:22:43

Fitting the tank is not a big deal. The length of the tank is the biggest hurdle, but since my seat and seating position are not stock it isn't much of a problem.  I'm thinking something like the bike pictured or a old yamaha tz styled bike are the ticket Cool

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/24/13 at 07:27:26

I'd love to see more pictures of it with that Yamaha tank; I've always loved the look of those tanks, but I thought it would look too big on a Savage. Looks just about right in your photo above! And it'll be perfect with the fairings you are planning.

I'm sure you could fit just about any style fairing onto the bike that you want; you just have to fabricate the mounting hardware and brackets. The bike is so narrow that it should be perfect for some of those lightweight vintage bike fairings... Can't wait to see what you come up with!

I saw that CB550 you posted on Bikeexif I think; it's gorgeous!!

IP Logged
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/24/13 at 13:59:03

Yeah, I second more pics of the Yamaha tank!

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/24/13 at 21:39:26

This is the only other pic I have of the the tank fitted on the bike at the moment. The tank is off the bike for metal/body work.  It is pretty wide....but I like it  Smiley  

IP Logged
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/25/13 at 05:43:36

It actually looks slimmer than a ryca tank. What kind of metal work/body work has to be done? ( I see there's a dent)

IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/25/13 at 09:16:23

I have not measured the tank exactly, but by eye and how it sits on the bike it is not any wider than the front of a stock tank.  The difference is it doesn't taper like the stock tank.  

It has the dent that is visable on the top, one deep dent on each side and a spot on the front left that needed to be pulled out along with just general bodywork issues.....at least it used to have all that going on, nothing a stud gun couldn't fix   Wink

I will be making slow progress on the bike, but once I am into it I will take plenty of pics and post progress.  I have changed my mind, and the bike, many times thusfar.....but I think the vintage race bike style is going to be the final incarnation of my savage.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/25/13 at 11:52:30

Ive used stud guns doing body work. The metal glows red while it welds to the bent part. My ? is, does it get hot enough to lite gas fumes?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
scubachef

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/25/13 at 21:44:27

I'm definitely not an expert so I went the very safe route and purged the tank.  It has not seen gas in years so I thought it might not really be needed but  it was worth being safe.  My guess is yes, it is possible that it could ignite the fumes.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/28/13 at 05:18:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/25/13 at 11:52:30:
Ive used stud guns doing body work. The metal glows red while it welds to the bent part. My ? is, does it get hot enough to lite gas fumes?

Unlike auto fuel tanks that are big and have internal baffles....motorcycle tanks are not a real problem to weld.  If you drain the fuel out, remove the cap and petcock, and let them dry for a day or two there is not issue with welding and fire/explosion.  Setting them out in the sun for a day is even better.  If you stick your nose in the opening and don't smell gas fumes......your good to go.

Most tanks that I have worked on were from project bikes.....and did not have fuel in them for a couple of years!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:31:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fairing idea's

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.