Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas Tank Repair (Read 153 times)
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Gas Tank Repair
01/21/13 at 11:28:56

The bracket that bolts my gas tank to my frame near the seat broke.  It's a clear snap from the base of the tank.  I'm currently holding it in place with gaffer tape but this is obviously a temporary solution.  Is it worth welding it or just buying a new one?  Any ideas?

Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Gas Tank Repair
Reply #1 - 01/21/13 at 11:42:40

I have no idea what your bike looks like......or what you want it to look like.

Welding will booger up the paint, but could be had pretty cheaply.  A good mig welder may be able to weld it without damaging the paint on the top of the tank - but the bottom will be burned within 1/2 inch of the weld.  Have them put a wet towel on the visible side of the tank before they weld.......and Oh Yeah.......take precautions to get the fuel and vapors out before welding.  You can weld a motorcycle tanks safely - drain the tank, remove the petcock and cap, air it out for a few days and/or use a blow dryer to air things out.  If you smell gas when you stick your nose in the tank....air it out some more.

Good used tanks on eBay are $ 100 plus for nice ones......dented ones are much cheaper.

Original factory tanks from the dealer in your original paint scheme...they are very expensive.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
newriverjunkie

Courage is endurance
for one moment more…

Goose Creek, SC
Reply #2 - 01/21/13 at 14:40:00

I just replaced mine when this happened...course mines becoming a bobber so I wanted a different look anyways.  Here's the link so you can see a pic of the tank.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1356020679/0
Look towards the bottom of page two.

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f*%# with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #3 - 01/21/13 at 20:17:43

Just the excuse you needed to change the color of your bike! Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/22/13 at 09:38:14

Brazing is strong stuff if its done right,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/22/13 at 10:22:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/22/13 at 09:38:14:
Brazing is strong stuff if its done right,

Brazing however requires a torch......and will burn a whole lot of paint away.  A MIG can keep the heat very localized and only ruin about 1/2 inch of paint.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 01/22/13 at 14:12:39

& thats correct to a point,  A proper for the job sized tip on the torch with a properly adjusted flame & some wet rags to halt the progression of the heat thru the metal can limit the size of the "wound" created by the brazing process. Considering the location & given the above mentioned caveats, I wouldnt hesitate to braze IF I had a torch but no MIG. If I had a MIG, Id do that,, I dont have a MIG, I DO, however, have a torch and a drawer full of brazing tips.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/22/13 at 18:09:13

JOG:

Not sure what the OP might have available.....He hasn't been back.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 01/22/13 at 20:46:56

marioivargas wrote on 01/21/13 at 11:28:56:
The bracket that bolts my gas tank to my frame near the seat broke.  It's a clear snap from the base of the tank.  I'm currently holding it in place with gaffer tape but this is obviously a temporary solution.  Is it worth welding it or just buying a new one?  Any ideas?

Thanks

I would have used bungee cords. Thanks for the tape idea.  Grin  Find a small shop and ask the oldest guy there--probably the only one there -what to do to be safe and save paint. Then listen.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 01/23/13 at 10:35:15

Dave wrote on 01/22/13 at 18:09:13:
JOG:

Not sure what the OP might have available.....He hasn't been back.

Yeaaaa,, seems to be a common problem with some folks.. folks who may or may Not actually exist,,

IP Logged
triumphleroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/23/13 at 10:50:15

Back in the fifties I used to fill the tank with water; then roll the tank till the spot that needed brazing would be on top with an air bubble directly under the part that need brazing would be. This method would prevent most paint bubbling and help to prevent explosions. Hard to find welders that can and will braze a fuel tank in today's" LAW-SUIT Happy World"

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:18:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Tank Repair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.