Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: How many miles between oil changes?

< 1,000
< 2,000
< 3,000
< 4,000
< 5,000
< 6,000
< 7,000
< 8,000

« Created by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 01/25/13 at 12:31:47 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
OIL WAR -- Change Frequency (Read 1211 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Oil Change Frequency
Reply #30 - 01/24/13 at 16:30:37

bill67 wrote on 01/24/13 at 09:05:01:
Gyrobob wrote on 01/24/13 at 03:51:43:
rat907 wrote on 01/23/13 at 18:28:03:
Just a rule of thumb I use is change the filter every 6 months or 3000 miles. They're cheaper than a rebuild or a new clutch, cam, ect. If you live in the harsh climes like the desert go 2500 miles between changes.

Oil is personal preference as to when to change it. If the oil is cloudy or changing color to darker, I replace it. it's the difference between tea and coffee, you can see through tea and fresh oil, you can't through coffee or bad oil.

I've done these steps for over 30 years with autos & trucks and a minor over haul shows little no ecessive wear on the high wear parts.

If your oil stays nice and clean (doesn't get darker in the first few hundred miles), get better oil.  The detergent in your oil is not doing its job.

Wrong again Gyro,If the oil is dirty your not getting a good ring to cylinder seal or getting to much engine wear.You should try a different oil.

Wrong as usual, bill.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #31 - 01/24/13 at 19:07:14

Bill is right again, if yur oil get dark quick, all yur expression it going in yur crankase. Get it fixed,......cuz its broke !!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 01/25/13 at 04:47:45

I guess it's time to put WAR in the title of this thread (again) ......

Bill, are you skipping your surface bait for oil wars again?    

And the rest of you guys , are you really going to be baited by Bill yet again into yet another fruitless discussion of how dirty your real world oil gets in use vs the ever-red wonder oil?    

Pulezee .....        Roll Eyes

(must be mid winter boredom again)

Grin   PS, I like Routy's thought -- if you are gonna talk to Bill on this one, you have to do it in his native tongue.   If you can't speak in billish, you can't play.  

That will make you think your thoughts out good and then TRANSLATE your thoughts into Billish, which in turn will make it interesting/humorous for the rest of us to read.

If you are a new person, now is the time to put on your standard issue Kevlar long johns and start digging your own personal fox hole ....
oil war is about to occur yet again.

Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #33 - 01/25/13 at 06:25:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/25/13 at 04:47:45:

Grin   PS, I like Routy's thought -- if you are gonna talk to Bill on this one, you have to do it in his native tongue.   If you can't speak in billish, you can't play.  

That will make you think your thoughts out good and then TRANSLATE your thoughts into Billish, which in turn will make it interesting/humorous for the rest of us to read.

I'd comply with your request to translate into billish, but I am at a loss as to how one would translate correct and rational thought into worthess/incorrect assertions.

Wink  Grin  Shocked  Roll Eyes  Smiley

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: OIL WAR --- Oil Change Frequency
Reply #34 - 01/25/13 at 09:17:32

Why is it in all jap cars and motorcycles the oil never got as dirty as American cars and motorcycles.Gyro maybe the American oil didn't know how to clean the jap vehicles. Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #35 - 01/25/13 at 09:42:43

Just remember that Bill is the self-proclaimed Expert on Everything. It isn't worth the effort to try to argue with him.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #36 - 01/25/13 at 09:42:53

bill67 wrote on 01/25/13 at 09:17:32:
Why is it in all jap cars and motorcycles the oil never got as dirty as American cars and motorcycles.Gyro maybe the American oil didn't know how to clean the jap vehicles. Roll Eyes

What is your source for this info?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: OIL WAR -- Change Frequency
Reply #37 - 01/25/13 at 10:43:24

Oldfeller, I refered Bock to the tech on page 8 of the tech section to show him the unbolting, bolting up sequence as Bock said he had never done it. I believe this tech is good for that purpose. Whether the tech can be modified to include current oil recommendations, I don't know.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #38 - 01/25/13 at 11:02:44

See, and you got rewarded with two angels for your kind thoughts and for being a "kinder and gentler" gentleman.

(and in a proto oil war two angels is about as good as anyone has ever gotten, ever)

But still, the new readers had to be reminded about the ever moving EPA driven neutering of the oils here in the USA and how our old comments (written back in the SJ era?) have to be taken with a grain of salt as we are currently in the absolutely nutless SN era and very few oils are actually good for a Savage any more.

And I was overjoyed to find a new Mobil1 oil bottle with some data to back it up, and only found it mildly ironic that the old bone stock standard SJ era Mobil1 "red cap" specs can now only be sold today as a "Racing Only" oil.

Smiley

It sucks to have a 1970's designed valve train in 2013, really it does.   And we do have to be careful about what we pour into our sumps or our tappets will dish out on us.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #39 - 01/25/13 at 11:14:32

bill67 wrote on 01/24/13 at 10:56:14:
That bob is also the tire guy too.I wonder if theres anything he doesn't know.

Grin Grin Grin Grin

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #40 - 01/25/13 at 12:04:48

Why is it in all jap cars and motorcycles the oil never got as dirty as American cars and motorcycles.)

The answer is the obvious difference in cultural values. The Japanese take pride in cleanliness. That cultural value even applies to their motor oil. They invented a new form of internal combustion that does not produce oxidation, water, or carbon so the oil in their cars and motorcycles stays cleaner. Cool

My response is as much total nonsense as the question.

Now, back to the first question about oil change intervals, given the likely service life of a Suzuki LS650, I would think the manufacturer's recommendation for oil changes would be more than adequate unless ridden in an extreme environment. The best answer though, is really what you feel comfortable with. My opinion (and it is just an opinion) is that there would not be a difference in the service life of a bike changed every 1,500 miles and one changed every 5,000 miles. Given to low sump volume and the tendency to consume oil at highway speeds (at least with my bike) I would think keeping the oil level topped off would be more important to service life than accelerated change intervals. Just my 2 cents.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #41 - 01/25/13 at 12:07:26

arteacher wrote on 01/25/13 at 09:42:53:

What is your source for this info?

I don't know what you have been doing the last 40-60 years,But i have had a lot of cars, motorcycles,lawnmowers, generators and other engines,And the American engines oils get a lot dirtier.And I'm not a teacher I don't have to look in a book to learn.And when you look in that book you only get the authors ideas.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 01/25/13 at 12:26:48

Also, for those who like to think about such .... the oils we do recommend on the Recommended Oils Listing are some very good oils.  

Especially the "temperature proof" full synthetics.

Indeed, they all "technically" could go multi-year between oil changes except for the two facts of gearbox shear and silica (dust) build up over time that are still throwing a wrench into the long life works.

And everybody is right, if you have an oil consuming Savage your make up oil keeps everything "fresh enough" when just considering the additive packages.

------ for example, Verslagen ....

At his worst oil consumption rate before he did his engine rebuilds, he was adding oil weekly at a rate that actually changed out his oil like twice a year.

Me, I only replace half my sump between my yearly oil changes, but I do document my oil changes on the smagnet thread so if you want to see what it looks like just search "supermagnet on oil filter" and you can see what muli-year magnet backed oil filter change would look like.

Oil always gets black if you actually ride your bike a lot, no matter what color it starts out as.

=========================

All oil wars need a poll, just to see if there is any additional information out there to glean from the discussions.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #43 - 01/25/13 at 12:29:51

Motorcycle oils are made with gearbox shear in mind.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #44 - 01/25/13 at 12:31:47

If you want to see the results, you have to vote for one of the above choices.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/16/24 at 18:05:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OIL WAR -- Change Frequency

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.