Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Reducing/removing salt damage to aluminum (Read 243 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reducing/removing salt damage to aluminum
01/19/13 at 19:31:53

The PO of my S40 did some winter riding and there's some etching from salt on the aluminum parts of the bike, and this winter I've managed to add more. What are some ways to polish off the existing salt damage, and how (other than not riding in the winter) can I help protect the bike from salt in the future? I ride when the roads look dry, but I've hit a few wet patches and presumably picked up some dissolved road salt in the process.

I'm looking for ways to do this with minimal resources, as I have no access to a hose, no garage, no lift. Limited to what I can do with an electric drill attachment or hand tools. I'm not looking for perfection, but doing something seems better than just letting the aluminum parts get badly etched.

Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Reducing/removing salt damage to aluminum
Reply #1 - 01/20/13 at 10:41:23

white vinegar

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/20/13 at 12:07:23

The spokes are really a booger to clean up. After several time & labor intensive attempts that resulted in no really noticeable positive results I decided to try something different. I took about 3' of parachute cord & pulled the center strings out, leaving only a woven nylon tube. There is enough texture to the weave to be somewhat abrasive. Some "El Cheapo" chrome polish ( I used Turtle Wax chrome polish) & wrap the cord around a spoke 1 time, pull tight & pull the cord. You can generate enough friction to get a spoke hot enough to know it when ya touch it. Paying attention to which way its wrapped will allow better access into certain places on the wheel,. I took them off & laid them on, well,, I had the bottom 1/2 of  an old shop vac, shorter & wider than a 5 gallon bucket, but if thats all I had, I could make it work. A guy Could get a 5 gallon bucket, poke 2 holes in the bottom, lay a brace on it, anything, a wrench, a good stick, whatever, & tie it tight, dig a hole & plant the bucket, bring the rope up & tie the wheel down tight on the bucket. I wish I woulda thot of that,,
Anyway, thats what Id do if I was gonna do it again, If a guy had someone to just HOLD it down,,
Ohh, yea,, Youll wear that cord OUT, youll need at least 3 to get both wheels done, & youll see the spokes are literally etched on the side facing forward when theyre above the axle.
Remember the rule of 80/20 here. HIt it, dont expect to make new ones out of them, youll waste your time & energy if youre determined to make 'em shine,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #3 - 01/20/13 at 12:26:10

Regarding vinegar, how do you use it?

For my purposes, the 90/10 rule is probably good enough. I don't really care about the spokes. I'm mostly concerned about the etching that has already occurred on the aluminum side covers of the bike, and a little bit of etching on the fork.

What works best to clean that up and smooth it down? Is there some kind of aluminum polish, maybe with steel wool, and then hit it with finer and finer grades of wet/dry sandpaper? I don't mind if the aluminum parts have a "matte" finish from sandpaper, but the salt-etching is pretty nasty.

And then how do I protect it in the future, if I hit more puddles laced with road salt?

Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #4 - 01/20/13 at 13:29:31

Don't know if they're all this way, but the side covers on my '07 have a clear coat on them for protection. Maybe the etching you speak of is actually pitting in the clear coat? If so, a MILDLY abrasive automotive polishing compound and some quality wax applied by hand should clean it up OK. Not perfect, but better than it is now. Maintaining it is key. Wash salt off as soon as possible with soap and water, and re-wax as needed.

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #5 - 01/20/13 at 13:36:52

There's a clear coat on the side covers of my 07, too, but a lot of it appears to have been scratched away, and the metal itself has been etched. I'd like to find a way to mostly restore the finish and then protect it again. Any idea what the clear coat is? It would have to be something that could stand getting fairly warm.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 01/20/13 at 17:08:53

The clear coat is probably a powder coat clear that is baked on.  It is on all the aliminum parts - and undorfunately it is not very durable.  Once is gets scratched or cracked the water and salt go underneath it and corrode the aluminum quickly.  This accelerated corrosion occurs as it takes longer for the moisture to dry when it is trapped between the metal and the peeling clear coat.  At first the aluminum turns white, and then black.  The aluminum becomes etched so deep that simple buffing won't get to the bottom of the corrosion, and sanding is necessary to bring back the aluminum color.

I really don't know how you are going to make it better with your limited tools and supplies.  Mother's, Simichrome, and other aluminum polishes will help, as will washing and waxing.  Washing the bike should be followed by a thorough drying and a ride to blow and shake the water out of the recesses.  Washing a bike and just letting it sit - helps the corrosion process along as it supplies the moisture.

Riding a bike in the salt - will make it very hard to stop the corrosion process....or even slow it down. 

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #7 - 01/20/13 at 17:44:25

Turning white, then black, is exactly what's happening, and a lot of the clear coat seems to have worn off.

I wonder if I'd be better off painting the aluminum parts -- at least the side covers, which are the most etched -- with some kind of heat-resistant paint. Any idea what would work, and what kind of prep I'd need to do to get it to stick to the clear coat? Or would I need some kind of solvent to remove the clear coat first?

- David
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #8 - 01/20/13 at 17:56:48

I found out about this stuff from a guy who made and refinished boat trailers... (On the gulf coast)  http://www.sharkhide.com/  He loves it.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #9 - 01/20/13 at 19:20:02

Interesting product. Have you or anyone you know used it on parts that get hot, like the side covers on the LS650? Couldn't find anything on their site about maximum temperature it can handle.

- David
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #10 - 01/20/13 at 20:17:07

No, not yet...  Smiley  But it sure works nice on polished aluminum!

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #11 - 01/20/13 at 20:30:18

I'm a wild and crazy guy....I'm gonna buy some and try it...will post pics and comments for you.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 01/21/13 at 04:40:38

I tried several approaches when I was trying to get the clear coat/oxidization off the aluminum,. I finally settled on the green 3 M scrubby pads & a palm orbital sander & a spray bottle of water. Easiest clean stripper I found.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 01/21/13 at 05:36:32

Stripping off the clear coat will make it possible to clean up the existing corrosion - but it will do nothing to prevent it from occurring again.  The clear coat is an attempt to keep the aluminum bright and shiny - unfortunately it does not seem to be very durable on this bike.

Here is an S100 product that is supposed to prevent corrosion when used as directed, and I bought it at a motorcycle shop.  Maybe it could help you prevent things from getting worse.

IMG_0837.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #14 - 01/21/13 at 06:54:48

Dave wrote on 01/21/13 at 05:36:32:
Stripping off the clear coat will make it possible to clean up the existing corrosion - but it will do nothing to prevent it from occurring again.  The clear coat is an attempt to keep the aluminum bright and shiny - unfortunately it does not seem to be very durable on this bike.

Here is an S100 product that is supposed to prevent corrosion when used as directed, and I bought it at a motorcycle shop.  Maybe it could help you prevent things from getting worse.

Thanks. The protectant seems like a good short-term solution until it warms up around here and I can clean off the existing corrosion. By then, maybe Super Thumper will have tried Shark Hide.

Thanks again,
David

- David
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:36:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reducing/removing salt damage to aluminum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!