Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Reducing/removing salt damage to aluminum (Read 243 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Re: Reducing/removing salt damage to aluminum
Reply #15 - 01/21/13 at 10:23:08

I wonder if Duplicolor engine cleat coat would hold up better than the stock coating:
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/

- David
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 01/21/13 at 11:34:08

DavidOfMA wrote on 01/21/13 at 10:23:08:
I wonder if Duplicolor engine cleat coat would hold up better than the stock coating:
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/

It might help some, but its chip resistance is about the same as normal Duplicolor, and if you get a few drops of gas on it, it'll cloud up.  Don't ask me how I know these things.

« Last Edit: 01/21/13 at 16:04:04 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #17 - 01/21/13 at 15:03:18

Step 1: Put on long rubber gloves.
Step 2: spray green scrubbie pad with oven cleaner.
Step 3: scrub side covers.
Step 4: wipe clean with a rag and small bucket of water

Step only have to do once if you do it right since your side covers are now etched... paint side covers with silver drum/caliper paint. Let dry then ride until the paint stops stinking and reapply paint while the covers are warm. Hubs, rotor hats and calipers get hotter than your side cases should.

If you know any truly fossilized boat enthusiasts ask them for some steel hull primer. Don't get any on you, don't breathe the dust... very high lead content. Lead oxides will seal up the aluminum. Thn you can paint over it with impunity. My truck engine was painted with aircraft enamel in 1958 or 1963 (forget when the engine was swapped) and is still holding on tight. Aircraft and boat paints from back then are high lead. Don't get caught with it, but if you can find some it is worth every penny.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 01/21/13 at 16:46:53

The green side of a sponge - usually referred to as "scotch-brite" - is sand paper in sponge form. That's why you're warned to never use that side of the sponge on coated pots-n-pans and it should never be used on any painted, polished or powder coated surfaces. You may get away with it on chromed surfaces since the chromium coating it so hard but other than that you're literally sanding away your finish.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #19 - 01/21/13 at 16:47:30

The drum/caliper paint is more chip resistant than the engine clear coat? If so, this seems like a good solution once it warms up around here. I don't really want to work too hard on this (sanding and buffing the aluminum), but I also want it to look decent.

- David
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #20 - 01/21/13 at 16:49:45

Cavi Mike wrote on 01/21/13 at 16:47:17:
The green side of a sponge - usually referred to as "scotch-brite" - is sand paper in sponge form. That's why you're warned to never use that side of the sponge on coated pots-n-pans and it should never be used on any painted, polished or powder coated surfaces. You may get away with it on chromed surfaces since the chromium coating it so hard but other than that you're literally sanding away your finish.

Nope, already made the mistake of using Scotch Brite on my exhaust to try to remove some burned-on nylon, and now I have a "matte" finish on the pipe. From now on I'll only use that on surfaces I intend to paint.

- David
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #21 - 01/22/13 at 07:47:36

I've only ever used it on Peterbilts and Freightliners. Seemed to hold up fairly well.

Problem with the side cases is they are hanging out there for all the world to see and make contact with. Unfortunately, good engine paints got banned a couple decades ago during the country's big "lead is evil" scare. My 1963 Honda Scrambler still has factory engine paint on it with about 80% coverage intact. My Savage cylinder and head was painted with Duplicolor engine enamel in 2000 or so, properly cured but not primed. It held up really well for about 10 years, still has 90% coverage but it is starting to get ragged.

Engine enamel over engine primer will likely do you fine. Just don't waste a bunch of money on clear coating. The key to getting a good bond is heat. Warm the engine up for a couple minutes, put your first coat down. Let it dry about 20 minutes, go on a short ride. Come back and when you can touch the engine with bare hands (coffee cup temp or so) paint it again.

Even easier way to deal with it. Order some ZOOP Seal from the internet, follow the directions. Completely seals the pores of the base metal, no painting required. Used to use it on hot rod billet engine parts. Pricey, but it lasts for a long time.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 01/22/13 at 07:49:47

Oh, as you already found out, Savages are soft chromed. No nickel mid layer, many of the parts are not copper base plated. Our chrome is most like metal vapor deposition instead of actually plated. Much cheaper (in more ways than one).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 01/22/13 at 08:20:31

zoop has changed their name... don't remember what it is.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:29:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reducing/removing salt damage to aluminum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.