Dies while driving (Read 215 times)
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Dies while driving
01/19/13 at 17:29:34

Dies while driving....pull over and stop, sit a while, maybe 10 minutes and then it starts ok....drive for maybe a half mile or so then it dies again like it's out of gas so I coast into a gas station and filler-up with regular gas...only took about a gallon so it wasn't out of gas...just on a hunch I put a small 8oz  bottle of dry gas A.K.A. gas line antifreeze in and it runs fine the rest of the day.....rode about 200 miles without missing a beat.......get home and begin to check for the problem.......check the fuel hoses...vacuum hoses...I have a clear see-through fuel filter and it's clean...all looks fine....never had the problem again so I think there might have been some water in the gas from that morning's fillup. Had this happen to me one warm day in October. Something to consider if it ever happens to you.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Dies while driving
Reply #1 - 01/19/13 at 17:54:40

Are you still running the stock petcock? If so I would do the petcock test in the technical forum. I would bet it's fuel starvation.

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #2 - 01/19/13 at 21:42:59

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 01/20/13 at 00:26:23

If memory serves there is also a little screen filter inside the tank on the petcock. Make sure it is not clogged. The FireLizard had those exact symptoms one time and that was what the problem was.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #4 - 01/20/13 at 02:15:21

Mystery fuel starvation problems are almost always solved by replacing with the Raptor Petcock! Mine always wanted to die at stoplights. I put on a Raptor petcock for about 16 bucks, never looked back.  Cool

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #5 - 01/20/13 at 04:18:14

I still can't believe Suzuki can be still selling a bike with this known petcock issue. Almost like they are trying to keep this site busy.  Wink

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #6 - 01/20/13 at 06:40:41

I agree with above.  Check your petcock. It's easy to do, and could very well be your problem.  Could also be a bad gas tank vent. But I would thinkyou would get more than half a mile before building up a vacuum that would stop fuel flow.

As far as why they keep putting on the vacuum petcock, there might be some sort of federal mandate.  I don't know.  I know it makes it easier for the novices that get these bikes lots of times to get on and go.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 01/20/13 at 06:40:57

strang wrote on 01/20/13 at 04:18:14:
I still can't believe Suzuki can be still selling a bike with this known petcock issue. Almost like they are trying to keep this site busy.  Wink

In reality, it is a very small %age of the vac petcocks that give any trouble. It is used here as a scapegoat for every fuel related problem there ever was.

And to the OP,.....no matter what your problem really was, stick around here,.......and they'll have you believing it was a vac petcock problem,........even ifr you already changed it !!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 01/20/13 at 07:44:33

Am I the only one who read the title and thought it meant the RIDER dies while riding?  Huh

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 01/20/13 at 08:42:50

Greg wrote on 01/20/13 at 07:44:33:
Am I the only one who read the title and thought it meant the RIDER dies while riding?  Huh

NO....but I'll never admit it  Cheesy

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/20/13 at 11:18:59

Greg wrote on 01/20/13 at 07:44:33:

I die a little every time I get into a cage.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/20/13 at 11:28:16

Mine used to die after about a 5 or 10 minute ride. It wouldnt even turn over, like someone unhooked the battery. Then, 5 minutes or so later, fire right up & go on for the day,,I never did find that, it just quit doing it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #12 - 01/20/13 at 17:35:09

R.I.P  :'(

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #13 - 01/21/13 at 07:33:47

I drained the tank and removed the petcock...all was clean...like I said the problem never repeated itself after putting the drygas in the tank which is why I think it was water in the gas. NO I didn't die while riding but in the grand scheme of life I guess that wouldn't be a bad way to go......LIVE TO RIDE.....RIDE TO LIVE !!

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #14 - 01/23/13 at 18:42:33

strang wrote on 01/20/13 at 04:18:14:

Its a predetermined service repair. they gotta keep the shops busy fixing the headaches or dealers would starve.

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:19:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dies while driving

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.