No electrical power (Read 114 times)
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No electrical power
01/18/13 at 09:21:26

Hello,

I got my 2009 S40 back from the shop a few days ago.  It had a few flow problem, turned out to be junk in the petcock.  The bike ran fine the 8 miles home.

Three days later, I started it up and it made it just to the end of the street before it died.  I of course thought it was the fuel flow issue but quickly discovered I had no electrical power at all.  No horn, no lights, no starter.

I pushed the bike home and assumed it blew a few or one of the battery cables came off.  Today I checked those.  The fuses are fine, the battery cables are tight.

When I use a volt meter on the fuses, (2 fuses 20 amps each), I am showing 12 volts on one fuse and nothing on the second one.

At this point, I guess its going back to the shop.  My bests guesses are the on/off switch, kickstand kill switch, or the ignition switch.

It died just like you pulled a wire out.  Any guesses anyone?

Thanks,

Hal

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: No electrical power
Reply #1 - 01/18/13 at 09:48:34

Sounds like a connector came loose...  They probably did it during the repair...
You can pull the seat, and disconnect/reconnect the connectors under there, or have the shop do it...
(especially the one at the ignition switch)... (could be under the tank,too)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #2 - 01/18/13 at 19:11:41

Serowbot wrote on 01/18/13 at 09:48:34:
Sounds like a connector came loose...  They probably did it during the repair...
You can pull the seat, and disconnect/reconnect the connectors under there, or have the shop do it...
(especially the one at the ignition switch)... (could be under the tank,too)...

yep! With it quitting that quick it has to be a loose connection or crimped wire. Since one of the fuses still has full power It's not likely to be the ground connection but you might as well check it while you're into it.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 01/26/13 at 14:06:23

OK, I sent the bike to the shop.  They said the battery shorted and burned up some wires.  That would certainly explain why I had no power.  The replaced the battery and wires and now it runs again.

Thanks for the help!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 01/26/13 at 14:20:35

I hope you didn't have to pay anything for them to replace the battery and wires.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 01/26/13 at 18:58:38

arteacher wrote on 01/26/13 at 14:20:35:
I hope you didn't have to pay anything for them to replace the battery and wires.

Agreed! From reading your other post you've had the bike to the shop several times and it's a no-brainer the dufuses there just got clumsy and in a hurry to get you out. They shorted the battery or left wiring unsecured where it could touch the frame. If they charged you for the repair and battery........nope,don't use THAT word...........the bums deserve a good butt-kickin'.

Find another shop(local independent hopefully!) or better yet, get to be friends with a good wrench and learn to do the work yourself!

Good catch on the petcock issue by the way!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/26/13 at 19:46:22

No they did charge me for it, but to be fair I swapped out the battery myself a few months back and might have fumbled something.  In general this shop has been good and their prices reasonable.  Like any place they have several mechanics and I suspect some are ...better... than others.

I am just happy to realize its the petcock now.  I ordered the raptor tonight.  I may start to do more work on the bike.  I have a vested interest after all in it running.  My butt in the saddle.  Its a nice pushing bike, very smooth, but I would rather ride ...LOL.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 01/26/13 at 22:13:12

Copy on "rather ride" and "my butt in the seat"  Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 01/27/13 at 10:46:45

NO, what happened was

They Pinched some wires putting it back together.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:21:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No electrical power

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.