Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: What lights can I use for rear without changing wiring?

LED
INCANDESCENT

« Created by: Sticks16 on: 01/17/13 at 20:42:42 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Switching out stock lights (Read 236 times)
Sticks16
YaBB Newbies

Tampa, Florida
Switching out stock lights
01/17/13 at 20:42:42

Hello everyone I'm new as a member to the site but have been reading many of your posts on projects alike. It's great to finally have a bike again to mess around with and this site is an excellent guide to many questions. So, I've just torn apart the rear end of my 96' Savvy that I purchased exactly a week ago. I will be putting new tires, brakes, fender and rear lights on as part of a bobber project. My question, if I've filled out this page correctly, was...What lights, LED OR NOT, work best. I'm not well educated in the electrical arts but am willing to learn anything (soldering, etc). I was hoping to minimal work electrically and buy lights that I could practically plug and go. I'm looking for a sleeker shotgun/egg design and am not sure what to look for exactly. Any information would help greatly..thank you in advance for your time.  

J-Bird
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Switching out stock lights
Reply #1 - 01/17/13 at 21:41:07

http://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-lighting-and-license-plates

Happy hunting.

I prefer regular lights, if I buy a used bike with LED lights it gets converted back to old fashioned. Savages being a Japanese interpretation of 1930s to 1960s English bikes...

Welcome to the forum... best put your helmet on... some of us like to throw things...  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #2 - 01/18/13 at 07:38:26

I am not sure a poll will work. I have the stock lights... but I want the LED,  but:
a) I am unwilling to pay some of the crazy prices
b) I am NOT willing to have less light or less effect to the other motorists
c)I am not up on actually, working with electronics at this level

Incandesent is easy...mostly. The Savage is like most others, it uses resistance to cause the flash. LED's by their nature do not have that "level" of resistance, and therefore it has to be introduced artifically or an electronic flasher has to be used.

If money and time were no object.. I would build a double tail light, such that amber LEDs would flash at the normal rate and a high power "cree" type bulb would pulse, much like the new police lights.

One (sorta) benefit to moving to LED lights for the turn signals and brake lights, is that it leaves that much more "juice" for a better/brighter headlight. It seems the Savage charging system is pretty much running at max in its stock state, making adding MORE lights a dodgy idea. Also the charging circuit does not not really produce much until the engine is under load at a good speed. A short trip can zap more juice than is put back into the battery. By going to the LED, less juice is used up to begin with.

Sorry, I didnt vote.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/18/13 at 07:46:55

I'm not going to vote either......it is my "right".

THe issue is not easily converted to a right/wrong issue.

I have ridden with bikes that have converted their rear turns signals to LED bulb replacements - and they can barely be seen in the daylight and are dangerous.  Same for the brake light LED bulb conversions, they are not as bright as the original and cannot be seen in the daylight.

I have converted my trailer to LED running and brake light combinations, and they are actually very bright and can be seen very well.  If you want to make a conversion to LED lights.......find ones that are not bulb conversions - but are actuall LED lights where the LED's are not hidden behind a colored lense.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 01/18/13 at 07:55:48

Really depends on how much effort/money you're willing to throw at the project.

cheap led lights will leave you with less than satisfactory results.
even payin' big bucks may not ensure the required results.
so you're gonna have to see the lights demo'd not to get snookered.

I've seen truck led lights that were very visible in daylight so I know they are out there.

WWW   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 01/18/13 at 09:50:57

The main reason I prefer LED's over incandescent isn't their brightness but their turn-on time. An incandescent bulb doesn't turn on immediately because the filament has to warm up first. This split-second warm-up time is enough for your mind to not recognize it if you're not paying attention. LED's on the other hand turn on instantly. This instantaneous burst of light draws attention so even the most inept drivers will notice them because their subconscious mind reacts to it.

It's not the brightness that counts, it's making sure people see it when they weren't looking for it.

I agree with flashing signals,.. but, with brake light, not so much... If the driver is looking away at the instant of change, the split second on feature of Led's may cause them to miss it... -Serow

I completely disagree with your (Serow's) theory by the way. The reason why I like it isn't because of how I think but because of what I've experienced. - Cavi

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 01/18/13 at 10:02:35

I'm not so sure I like this moderator-editing of user posts. I was editing my post adding that I liked how new emergency vehicles added a rapid-flash sequence and while annoying when following one of these vehicles, the idea is absolutely brilliant and whomever conceived of this idea deserves commendation.

My edit was lost because someone else was editing my post at the same time.

Sorry Cavi... I did it to save thread space,.. rather than quote you, and then add the comment... -Serow...

IP Logged
jvdb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/18/13 at 10:49:04

A lot of the negativity towards LED bulb conversions are due to all the poor quality ones on the market. Get the right one, and they are a huge improvement. I highly recommend CustomLED.

Here's an example of the brightness vs. cheaper options:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP1FtHqPdi0

IP Logged
Sticks16
YaBB Newbies

Tampa, Florida
Reply #8 - 01/20/13 at 12:11:06

I wasn't sure if I HAD to use that poll option but I don't care at all about that. Just looking for friendly advice. I personally cannot stand LED lights on cars/trucks but they seem okay on bikes. I'm leaning more towards the traditional incandescent but my main concern was being able to attach whichever I decide right into the original wires and them work without any issues, or if I have to look for specific wattage etc.

Thanks!

J-Bird
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 01/20/13 at 18:34:29

Sticks16 wrote on 01/20/13 at 12:11:06:
I wasn't sure if I HAD to use that poll option but I don't care at all about that. Just looking for friendly advice. I personally cannot stand LED lights on cars/trucks but they seem okay on bikes. I'm leaning more towards the traditional incandescent but my main concern was being able to attach whichever I decide right into the original wires and them work without any issues, or if I have to look for specific wattage etc.

Thanks!

Sticks I can tell you from experience as a professional driver on the road 8 hrs a day 12 months a year in all types of weather I only want LED lights on my rig,not including the headlamps of course.

Good quality LEDs,those that are DOT approved for commercial vehicles are far easier to see in all conditions.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 01/20/13 at 19:06:17

I have to go with the LED's as well, as long as they are a good quality one, and not the cheap ones.  The good quality LED's are far more visible then the incandescent lamps plus they use much less current from the Savage's barely adequate electrical system.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #11 - 01/20/13 at 20:21:46

During my performance rebuild this winter I am also making some changes for aesthetic reasons and also to shave some weight off the bike. I am switching to LED turn signals and an LED tail light so the unconscious drivers MIGHT see me. FYI...it is necessary to change the stock turn signal flasher for one designed for LED use. The LED fixtures weigh less, draw less amperage and don't burn out, are not subject to damage from vibration and are actually cheaper to buy than the OEM light fixtures. I am also doing away with the heavy rear fender/turn signal/backrest supports to save about 15 pounds or so. I have a solo saddle from a 2006 Suzuki M50 Boulevard (800cc V-twin) that I am making mounting brackets for. The stock single rate rear shocks (10 3/4" long) are being replaced with Harley Sportster progressive 12" long rear shocks for a better ride. Before anyone asks, YES I will post pics as things are being re-assembled.

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Sticks16
YaBB Newbies

Tampa, Florida
Reply #12 - 01/21/13 at 15:02:16

Thank you all for your input. I'm still debating but will post pics when I get to that. right now I'm figuring out the best way to mount my rear fender (courtesy of Northern Tool). I'm more than likely going to use the bottom holes for the original fender and then find struts that will work to support the rest. The lights will have to wait until this is sorted. Unfortunately I am very limited on tools and have been buying as I go by convenience and need. This is meant to be a cost effective project (but I'm not cheaping out) at least not intentionally.

J-Bird
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 01/21/13 at 15:24:14

Nothing wrong with cheaping out, most of us cut corners here and there with our toys. I like close out or "blem" rear tires, $30 or $40 outlay means I can pay somebody else to wrestle the things onto the rim instead of fighting them myself.

Where are you located? Here in TN turn signals aren't required so mine aren't getting hooked back up (they quit working years ago anyway). If I was going to put functional ones back on, I'd be looking for "egg" lights, 50s style glass lens beehive type.

If you want cool AND visible, check out the chrome shop on the Iowa 80 truck stop web site. Lots of easy to convert big rig mini marker lights (mini on a Pete, massive on a bike). Check your phone book for truck stops or big rig dealerships, all kinds of stuff you can readily adapt to your bike.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 01/22/13 at 07:44:17

This site has some very good options available - both in LED and regular bulbs.  The prices for turn signals is very affordable.

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:21:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Switching out stock lights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.