Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cold weather start issues, runs fine when warm (Read 106 times)
Chris Roth

1995 Savage LS 650

Collinsville, IL
Cold weather start issues, runs fine when warm
01/16/13 at 20:19:13

I am in Southern IL and when its 40+ out I am still willing to drive it for putting around town.  I have found when its cold like this (below 50) I have a hard time getting it started.

I literally have to have the choke fully out, run the starter for about 20 motor turnovers (estimating based on duration), and I have to pull the throttle a little too or it dies immediately after it starts to run.  Once its warm I can cut the motor and it starts right back up, even after running into a store for 10-15 mins.  

Question is if this is normal and expected behavior?  

I have the Raptor Petcock, upgraded the main jet one step, and have the carb screw turned out 1 rotation.  I do have a K&N stock replacement air filter and HD Dyna muffler.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: Cold weather start issues, runs fine when warm
Reply #1 - 01/16/13 at 20:54:34

Chris Roth wrote on 01/16/13 at 20:19:13:
Question is if this is normal and expected behavior?  

Shocked

NO!  At forty degrees, you should only be pulling that choke one notch, if that. Shocked

Also, don't run the starter for more than three or four seconds at a time, unless, of course, you're trying to burn it up! Wink

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #2 - 01/16/13 at 21:02:48

Trailer the bike down to Mike's Motorcycles in Miami. Let it sit in his parking lot overnight. In the morning crank it up.  Grin

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 01/17/13 at 04:32:33

I agree with SALB. I ride when it's 15 degrees out, but I never needed the choke full out. I always use the first notch. Maybe you want to try to turn the mix screw out another half to full turn. But choke full out is too much. I don't even know when I would ever need the choke full out on my bike.

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #4 - 01/17/13 at 06:24:23

My bike had a similar problem when I'd gone up one size on the pilot jet (from 52.5 to 55). Put the 52.5 jet back in and the problem went away (although the backfiring returned). It would be interesting to see if the problem goes away, in cold weather, if you return the main jet to stock.

- David
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 01/17/13 at 20:23:19

ralfyguy wrote on 01/17/13 at 04:32:33:
I agree with SALB. I ride when it's 15 degrees out, but I never needed the choke full out. I always use the first notch. Maybe you want to try to turn the mix screw out another half to full turn. But choke full out is too much. I don't even know when I would ever need the choke full out on my bike.

I ride all winter long in Colorado Springs.  Mine (see my signature block) needs full choke only when it is below about 30 degrees AND the bike has been sitting for over a week.  Otherwise, it likes half-choke on a cold start, no matter how cold it is (I've started it down to about 5 degrees F above zero).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 10:22:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cold weather start issues, runs fine when warm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.