Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike acting up - Running like crap (no idle) (Read 461 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Bike acting up - Running like crap (no idle)
Reply #30 - 01/17/13 at 14:15:23

Quote:
My gut suspicion is the high voltage line to the spark plug.  Make sure it is seated well on the plug.  Move it away from anything else as much as you can (in case it has a crack and is jumping to ground)... and watch out touching it with the bike running.

I claim half a point!   Tongue

Glad you found the issue.   Hate it when stuff like that happens...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #31 - 01/17/13 at 18:47:28

Go to take the bike for a long ride to see how it behaves. It should be ok. But, we can never assume, we have to "test" to ensure it is working properly.

IP Logged
teggy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 01/17/13 at 20:07:53

Being in the automotive business myself I would have to say the plugs porcilen has a crack. If you want to see if its from a cracked plug re-install it and fire it up in the dark to see if you can see a fun little light show.

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #33 - 01/18/13 at 19:26:14

Ok folks, I took the bike for a long ride (not a 250+ ride again) and it is running fine. Now, it may be my imagination but the bike even though is running fine, has a lot of pick up power , and it goes  just as it did before the troubles with the idle is not as smooth as it used to be. Don't know? Maybe I need to play with the pilot screw (again)?

Before, when I was going to slow down or coming to a stop you felt the throttle disengaging real quick and I had to look at the tach (yes, I have a tach) to check if the bike was still running, it was that smooth, real smooth. Now, when I let go the throttle it stays engaged a bit longer and then it stars to disengage real slowly (not as fast as before). Does anybody know what I am talking about?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #34 - 01/20/13 at 07:11:15

Few ideas.

1. If your tach is connected to the spark plug or the coil check those connections or dissconnect it temporarly and see if it makes any difference.

2. Try tweaking the idle mixture screw. Read Lancer's posts in the tech section about carb tuning.

3. Make sure you have some slack in the throttle cable, so it's letting the throttle close all the way. You should be able to twist the grip a little bit before you feel it start to pull the cable.

4.If your bike idles around 1000 rpm, doesn't stall when you roll the throtle off, or when you are sitting at a stop light with the throttle closed, and doesn't hesitate or stumble when you take off, don't worry about it. I'm not being a smart a**, so please don't take offense. I just don't think it's possible to make one of thse bikes idle as smooth as a bike with a mutli cylinder engine.

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #35 - 01/20/13 at 09:12:02

oldNSlow, I don't take offense as a matter of fact I appreciate you' all guys inputs. I've learned so much since I got my bike.

And yes, the bike does not stall when stop.  It is just I thought it was a lot smoother before (again, maybe is my imagination).

But, for now I have to stop for a couple of weeks twenkering with the bike, just got a short assignment in Alexandria, VA so I have to get ready, pack and go.

Leaving the sunny 80 degrees Florida  for the cold 18 degrees Northern Virginia. Not that I don't like it but I'd rather go in the spring, summer or fall. Winter? brrrrrr  Lips Sealed

Qwapy

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #36 - 01/20/13 at 09:49:16

My home town. I grew up in Falls Church. If you get some free time while you're there check out Coleman Powersports in Falls Church and Patriot Harley Davidson in Fairfax. Nice folks, and LOTS of bikes to drool over.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #37 - 01/20/13 at 11:37:00

When the plug starts being a problem, its time to do the spark plug door mod. Pulling the tank to swap plugs is just ridikkuluss!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #38 - 01/24/13 at 18:51:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/20/13 at 11:37:00:
When the plug starts being a problem, its time to do the spark plug door mod. Pulling the tank to swap plugs is just ridikkuluss!

Don't really need to pull the tank in its entirety.

You can pull the seat (very easy to do, just remove 2 bolts), then remove the two bolts from the fuel tank's rear bracket.  Remove the line(s) from the petcock, then move tank rearward a bit then up a bit.

From there, prop the rear of the fuel tank up with a short section of 4" x 4" (laid on its side).  You should have enough access now to remove the port chrome cover from the top of the engine and then get to the plug.

Using this method, you don't have to disconnect the speedometer cable or the electrical cable from the fuel tank.

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:19:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike acting up - Running like crap (no idle)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.