Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike acting up - Running like crap (no idle) (Read 461 times)
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Bike acting up - Running like crap (no idle)
01/15/13 at 20:57:26

This is turning out to be like Jaws the movie; “just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water………...” Shocked

I originally open a thread about having problems tuning the bike after some mods I did to it. Thanks to ya’ll expertise and good advice I was able to get rid of all the kinks I found while doing the mods. The bike was running like a million dollar bike, lots of power very responsive, no backfire, no pops, very smooth and responsive. Grin

The mods:
•      Petcock replaced with Raptor (vacuum connection sealed)
•      Dyna muffler
•      K&N filter (replacing the one in the air box)
•      Main 150, Pilot 52.5 (stock), 3 washers on the needle
•      2 turns(out) on the screw
My bike is a 2005 S40 with 2000 miles on it

So I went for a long ride this past weekend (almost 250 miles in two days) to enjoy the “new” bike. It behaved perfect, smooth, very responsive, it did great.  Cool

When I returned home I decided to wash it just to keep it clean: took off the seat, the saddle bags, and the tank (I did not want any water to get to the top of the head) I only washed the bottom of the bike, I used a rag and clean the dust of it on the top of the bike, no problem. There was no much dirt, no oil, very clean so I just dust it. Put everything back together and now the bike runs like crap!!!!!

It does not hold the idle at all not even with the choke out, nothing. I have to keep the throttle down in order to keep the bike running. Not even turning the idle screw out makes any difference.  I can ride it but it feels funny. It’s like riding a 4 cylinder vehicle but only 3 cylinders are working. It feels funny, not the same bike I rode for almost 250 + miles for the last 2 days. The funny thing is that the mid-range seems to be fine because I put the throttle down and it goes, still very responsive but, it feels funny.

So, any clues? It cannot be the carb because the carb was working fine, all the backfires and poppings disappeared. Even now, running crappy there is no backfire or poppings at all. Besides, I have not touch the carb at all since the rejetting.

Did I accidentally disconnect something that was under the tanks?

I am so frustrated, I spent almost three weeks working on the bike and finally I had it better than I thought I could get it to work and now this. :'(

I checked the spark plug connection and it is fine, I did not mess with the carb at all or any other component. I only wash it after the long trip I took.

I should have left it dirty.  Angry

Is there anybody that resides in or around Central Florida that can come and give me a hand?

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: 01/16/13 at 18:23:00 by Qwapy »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Bike acting up - Running like crap (no idle)
Reply #1 - 01/15/13 at 22:34:37

Bummer!...

Weird running,.. I generally point people to the petcock...
(there's a petcock test in the Tech section)...
... but,.. running so good, and instantly changing after the dust-off you did... odds are... you did something, you didn't intend...
Check the connections under the seat... check the vac line to the petcock...
Rethink your steps...
If nothing shows up,... I can only suggest checking the petcock...

PS... stop kicking yourself...  I take extra pride in my baby, after a successful mod or fix...
It's just a little thing... you'll find it, and all will be fine...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #2 - 01/15/13 at 23:21:36

I agree with what he said, it's probably something very simple you just overlooked. I don't have the air box or rear fender on my bike and if I run over a puddle and suck up just a tiny bit of water, it will linger inside the carb and cause the bike to run funny( similar to what you're describing) till I break it apart and give it a quick cleaning. But as long as you use the process of elimination you'll figure it out. Just don't rule things out by assumption, i couldn't figure out why my jets kept clogging up until i found a bolt and washer inside my tank from the previous owner.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/16/13 at 04:49:40

It sounds like you might have created a vacuum leak.  Check the rubber hoses to the carb and petcock.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #4 - 01/16/13 at 04:53:28

I forgot to mentioned that the Petcock was the first mod I did.
Also, the vacuum connection in the carb has been sealed.. That was the first mod I did. I modified the original posting to include that mod.
I thought the same thing first and i took the carb a parts (again) and clean it with a carb cleaner (and latex goves). Put it back together and it is still running the same.
One thing I learned was that I can dismount and take the carb a parts with my eyes close just like a soldier can take a parts his rifle.
I do not think is the carb, although like Dave says, it sounds like a vacuum problem but, there is no vacuum.

« Last Edit: 01/16/13 at 07:09:08 by Qwapy »  
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/16/13 at 06:17:23

Qwapy,
I am a little confused. Did you use any water at all or just dust it off? If you sprayed it down, did you check the air box to see if it collected any moisture? The intake is below the seat. My first thought was also a vacuum leak but you seem satisfied this is still solid.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #6 - 01/16/13 at 07:05:44

Blinky wrote on 01/16/13 at 09:17:23
Quote:
I am a little confused. Did you use any water at all or just dust it off? If you sprayed it down, did you check the air box to see if it collected any moisture? The intake is below the seat. My first thought was also a vacuum leak but you seem satisfied this is still solid.

Yes, I used water but only in the lower part of the bike. That was the reason I removed the tank, to clean/dust by hand instead of washing the top of the header. No water got to the top of the bike. Never got water close to the air box either. Still, I checked the air box and the intake that comes from the box to the carb, it is all dry.
As anybody experience a crack in the top of the distributor cap (on a vehicle of course)? That when it rained or early in the morning the vehicle was running funny (due to the moist getting into the distributor) but, when it was dry it ran like a champ? Well, pretty much how the bike feels. The only difference is that the bike is dry and it still runs like crap  Embarrassed
But, the is no vacuum to check (it has been sealed since the Petcock mod)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/16/13 at 07:07:13

If you had that much dust on the bike, wouldn't you have more in the air filter?

WWW   IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #8 - 01/16/13 at 07:15:59

I just wanted to clean the bike after the 250 + miles ride I did. It is not because it was too much dust on the bike. Like I mentioned above, there wasn't too much to clean (at the top) so I just dusted whatever dust was up there. I just did the mod of the filter (K&N) recently, about a week ago. And yes, I checked the filter too and it is OK.
Btw, this is not the first time I clean (wash) the bike. So, that's why I think something got disconected when I remove the  tank but, I do not know what could it be

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/16/13 at 08:08:54

I think we are going to nominate you for the coveted "Rider Most Likely to be Snake Bit" award.

If you have double and triple checked all the connectors then my only two remaining grasping at straws questions are 1. When did you fill up the tank last and how far did you ride after the fill-up before parking it and breaking everything down? Bad gas? 2. Have you put a tube on the carb vacuum port and applied some suction to make sure there is no leak?

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #10 - 01/16/13 at 08:55:44

I put gas on the last 30 miles of my ride. I filled up and went home cruising, no problems. I used the bike earlier in the day I washed the bike. I washed the bike in the afternoon after it was cool (like 5 hours after I last used the bike). I do not think is the gas. The vacuum port on the carb is sealed.

What about the "decompression controler"? See picture. That is the only thing I remove from the chassis (did not disconnect it). Just pulled the unit and its rubber mount from the mounting tab on the frame. And put it back as before afterwards.

What does this decompression module do?

NEVER, disconnected just pulled it from the mounting tab
« Last Edit: 01/16/13 at 14:18:39 by Qwapy »  

Decompresion_Module.jpg
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #11 - 01/16/13 at 09:52:09

You say you took the tank off, but did you wash it or wipe it down?  I suspect you forced water around the fuel cap gasket or through the vent.  Is it at all possible you got water in the carb vent lines or the fuel line you pulled off the petcock?  Turn the petcock off and drain the bowl; you will find out real fast.

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #12 - 01/16/13 at 10:08:05

SALB wrote on 01/16/13 at 12:52:09
Quote:
You say you took the tank off, but did you wash it or wipe it down? I suspect you forced water around the fuel cap gasket or through the vent. Is it at all possible you got water in the carb vent lines or the fuel line you pulled off the petcock? Turn the petcock off and drain the bowl; you will find out real fast.

See my posting above:
Quote:
Yes, I used water but only in the lower part of the bike. That was the reason I removed the tank, to clean/dust by hand instead of washing the top of the header. No water got to the top of the bike. Never got water close to the air box either. Still, I checked the air box and the intake that comes from the box to the carb, it is all dry.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #13 - 01/16/13 at 11:56:27

I don't think your pic is the decomp...the decomp is on the right side under the tank attached to the frame...has a little rubber boot over it...even so it sholdn't mess with the way the bike runs...it's more for ease of starting...
I'd go over all the connections and make sure you didn't wiggle something out...that's about all I have...sorry

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #14 - 01/16/13 at 12:05:25

Per the picture below, it is called the "Decompression Module". the one attached the right side under the tank attached to the frame is the ignition module.
Btw, that picture came from the pictures on the Forum (The Motorcycle Handy Man)

All_Electrical.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:26:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike acting up - Running like crap (no idle)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.