Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bike acting up - Running like crap (no idle) (Read 461 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Bike acting up - Running like crap (no idle)
Reply #15 - 01/16/13 at 12:08:06

That IS a picture of the Decomp CONTROLLER.   The rest of it consists of the solenoid, linkage, etc that sits on top of the head.

If the decomp is stuck (always engaged), your compression would be really crappy.  I don't even know if it would run.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #16 - 01/16/13 at 12:28:16

Youzguyz wrote on 01/16/13 at 15:08:06
Quote:
That is a picture of the Decomp CONTROLLER. The rest of it consists of the solenoid, linkage, etc that sits on top of the head.
If the decomp is stuck (always engaged), your compression would be really crappy. I don't even know if it would run.

I do not know if this is the problem. I am not saying it is, I was asking for guidance and what does this unit do?

What I was trying to convey was that this is the only thing I moved when I was cleaning the bike (under the tank)

I just detached it from the tab, and put it back.

Here is mine:

Decomp_Module.JPG
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #17 - 01/16/13 at 12:57:40

What it does is fire the decomp solenoid (for about 1/2 second) when you start the bike.  That solenoid opens the exhaust valve so the piston can go to TDC on the compression stroke with less resistance (no compression).  That allows the starter to spin it past that point and get some momentum going.  Then the solenoid goes back to a rest state, the exhaust valve will be closed on the next compression stroke.
IF the decomp solenoid was stuck, or the controller kept it always fired, or the link was not adjusted right, the exhaust valve would always be partially open.  Not a good thing.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #18 - 01/16/13 at 13:11:52

Thanks youzguyz,

I do not have that problem (thanks God) mine is that I do not have any iddle whatsoever (out of the blue). Trying to troubleshoot and traceback my steps when I cleaned the bike.
What did I touch that screwed up the iddle? it was runing fine until then

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #19 - 01/16/13 at 13:35:26

What I would do:
Turn petcock to ON.. make sure there is gas in the float bowl.  
Turn petcock OFF and pull the tank.
Check all connectors.
Start the bike (leave the tank OFF THE BIKE).  Wiggle connectors and wires to see if the problem might be electrical.  You have enough gas in the bowl to go a while like that.
My gut suspicion is the high voltage line to the spark plug.  Make sure it is seated well on the plug.  Move it away from anything else as much as you can (in case it has a crack and is jumping to ground)... and watch out touching it with the bike running.   Shocked

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #20 - 01/16/13 at 13:44:07

youzguyz wrote on 01/16/2013 at 16:35:26
Quote:
What I would do:
Turn petcock to ON.. make sure there is gas in the float bowl.
Turn petcock OFF and pull the tank.
Check all connectors.
Start the bike (leave the tank OFF THE BIKE). Wiggle connectors and wires to see if the problem might be electrical. You have enough gas in the bowl to go a while like that.
My gut suspicion is the high voltage line to the spark plug. Make sure it is seated well on the plug. Move it away from anything else as much as you can (in case it has a crack and is jumping to ground)... and watch out touching it with the bike running.  

Being there, done that. I did that last evening. The plug is seated well. I wiggle the cables while it was running to see if the idle change but, no luck.

It has to be something simple, just cannot figure out “what”. If you read my original posting you can see I was doing great, running smooth and strong. I just wanted to clean the darn bike…

The bike look nice! It’s all clean     Undecided   “All dressed up and nowhere to go”

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #21 - 01/16/13 at 14:10:26

It's possible that washing/cleaning your bike didn't actually have anything to do with what's going on. Might be just coincidence.

If you haven't already checked, I think you ought to pull the spark plug out and take a look at the electrode. Or even just replace it and see what happens.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #22 - 01/16/13 at 21:04:27

Several people have mentioned water in the fuel.

You might want to drain the float bowl, just to silence the mob.....

Good luck!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #23 - 01/17/13 at 05:17:53

Digger wrote on 01/17/2013 at 00:04:27
Quote:
Several people have mentioned water in the fuel.

You might want to drain the float bowl, just to silence the mob.....

Good luck!

I know. I’ve already taken the carb a part (again) and cleaned it. Changed the fuel on the tank also. Still runs the same (no change)

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #24 - 01/17/13 at 06:51:10

If you are convinced the the problem is not the fuel - you have checked the tank and carb a couple of times - I still think you need to change the spark plug before you do anything else. Even if it's not the problem, you need to eliminate the simple things before you go ripping stuff apart.

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #25 - 01/17/13 at 12:04:16

oldNslow wrote on 01/17/2013 at 09:51:10
Quote:
If you are convinced the the problem is not the fuel - you have checked the tank and carb a couple of times - I still think you need to change the spark plug before you do anything else. Even if it's not the problem, you need to eliminate the simple things before you go ripping stuff apart.

Guess what my friend?

I do not understand why but, I changed the plug and VIOLA!!! Got my monster back!!!
And just to ensure it was the plug, I put the old plug back and it ran like crap again.

Now, can anybody here explain to me what the heck happened?

This was the original plug the bike came with and the bike just turned 2000 miles last weekend so, “theoretically” the plug is new, correct?

I am a logical person; I am not a "just because person". Things happened for a reason there is always a cause and effects. Why or what was the cause for the plug to fail?

Attached is a picture of the old plug and the new plug. The gap in both plus was the same, it looks different because of the angle of the photo.

Thanks ”old man”  Wink, you were correct

Old_Plug_New_Plug.JPG
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #26 - 01/17/13 at 12:37:02

It is just me? Doesn't the gap on the old plug look a lot smaller than the gap on the new one?

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #27 - 01/17/13 at 12:43:18

It looks that way but it is the same gap, it is just the angle of the picture. I checked the gap  Wink

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #28 - 01/17/13 at 13:48:56

Qwapy,
    Glad you're runnin' again. I agree that a plug should last more than 2000 miles but the fact is sometimes they don't. And you can't always tell by just looking at them that they aren't any good. The ignition system in these bikes is pretty primitive by todays standards and we're dealing with a one cylinder engine after all. Without a good hot spark a motor like ours just won't run right. From the picture, the plug you took out looks kind of dark to me. Might be an indication that you are running a little rich. The insulator around the center electrode should ideally be a light tan color and should not have any evidence of being wet.

The owners manual reccomends replacing the plug every 7500 miles. That's a really short interval nowadays. I think Suzuki is admitting by that interval that the ignition system isn't all that great.

IP Logged
Qwapy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #29 - 01/17/13 at 14:03:06

Yes, it was pretty dark but dry.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:31:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike acting up - Running like crap (no idle)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.