Send Topic Print
Tensioner Mod (Read 101 times)
cptfancypants
YaBB Newbies

MN
Tensioner Mod
01/15/13 at 16:53:17

Hello everyone,

I made my own attempt today at the tensioner mod with what I think are going to be good results. (forgive me if pictures don't work, first time)

Still need to weld on an extension for the plunger.
-My question is; what would happen if I used the existing plunger, and let the roll pin sit against the housing when it reaches its full extension? (the point at which a person would normally change to the 2nd hole)

I know the 2nd hole allows one to get the full life out of a cam chain, but wouldn't letting the roll pin prohibit any further travel not allow the cam chain to stretch any further?
Might be a dumb question, just curious as to what would happen before I go weld an extension. All input is appreciated.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tensioner Mod
Reply #1 - 01/15/13 at 17:18:42

Nope,.. the chain don't stretch from the adjuster pressure,.. it stretches from engine torque...

The pin alone, will prevent the plunger from falling out and destroying your engine,...
so, good job... Wink...

... but, if you want longer chain life,.. add on the extension...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cptfancypants
YaBB Newbies

MN
Reply #2 - 01/15/13 at 17:25:05

Serowbot,

Thanks for the quick response. I realize the chain doesn't stretch because of the adjuster, I was just having a hard time picturing what was happening in my head. Would the chain continue to stretch and just be looser at all points, but be "pinched in" if you will, where the adjuster would hold it? I guess what I'm asking is, what's going to happen if I just run the chain with the pin against the housing for a while? Thanks.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/15/13 at 17:35:31

Ahh,...
As it got loose,.. it would make noise, rattling against the case,... eventually, it would break, or jump a cog... (a loose chain is much more likely to break)...
possibly, resulting in a piston/valve calamity...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cptfancypants
YaBB Newbies

MN
Reply #4 - 01/15/13 at 18:00:51

I struggled with wording that question. What I was really wondering was if the pin against the housing would extend the life of the chain by not allowing it to stretch, but now I understand it wouldn't. Good to know. Thanks man.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:09:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tensioner Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.