Send Topic Print
Air box delete mod (Read 344 times)
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Air box delete mod
01/15/13 at 08:10:34

Hey everyone! So one of the first mods I did to my bike was take off that big ugly air box and threw a little air filter on the carb. It was a long arduous task to get it tuned correctly (did it myself, no help, by trial and error) but, I've got it to where I'm happy with the way it performs. For the rest of you that have done this mod, I was wondering about what you've done with all the lines that run into the carb. I'll post a few pictures of what mine looks like and what's achually done incase anyone else is interested in doing something similar. Also my bike was a cali model and I used to have a charcoal canister.
1. White spacer mod( I just used some sand paper and shaved half off my stock yellow spacer)
2. Main jet 145 not sure on the secondary but I think it's a 55.
3. Emgro air filter from bike bandit $15
4. Exhaust is pretty much strait pipe besides a home made baffle.
5. You can see what I did with the hoses in the pictures but the vaccum to the pet thingy is hooked up, I've got the emissions and 1 float bowl breather capped off, one float bowl breather open.

I couldn't find any write up on the Internet about how to do this and it was a pain in the butt for me to figure it all out so if you'd like I could do a step by step write up with pictures on how to do this mod.

image_043.jpg

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Re: Air box delete mod
Reply #1 - 01/15/13 at 08:13:16

In this picture you can see where I didn't plug it up. If I do the bike won't run, I'm not sure why but if you know please tell me

image_044.jpg

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #2 - 01/15/13 at 08:14:49

One last picture of the overall bike

image_045.jpg

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/15/13 at 08:20:47

Someone discovered that there are some pod filters that cover a port cast into the carb. If yours wont run with that vacuum line plugged, somethin aint right,,
Id pull the air filter mount off the carb & study it, compare it to the tube that went to the air box. Look to see if it covers anything the original tube didnt. It otta not require that vac line be open. It wasnt before. The vacuum just went to a diaphragm & sucked it back. It didnt leak vacuum,it didnt suck air thru that tube before like it does now. It was, for all intents & purposes, blocked off, before you pulled the air box.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/15/13 at 08:24:50

is that the bowl vent youre trying to plug up??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #5 - 01/15/13 at 08:38:44

Yes, I've got two bowl vents, one plugged up one open. I don't see why having both vents plugged up would matter but it does. I've inspected the carb many times and I heard that there might be some sort of check valve system in the air box but I don't know. She'd some light on this for me.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/15/13 at 08:53:13

Lucaisrussell wrote on 01/15/13 at 08:38:44:
Yes, I've got two bowl vents, one plugged up one open. I don't see why having both vents plugged up would matter but it does. I've inspected the carb many times and I heard that there might be some sort of check valve system in the air box but I don't know. She'd some light on this for me.

If you got the vents plugged up, the gas can't fill up the bowl and air can't clear out of the line and gas can't flow into the intake as designed.
I'd put back both vents and run the vent lines like stock.
They tuck up into the backbone, in a tip over, gas will go into the frame.
no check valve in the air box.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/15/13 at 08:59:33

Dooooh! Thats a Bowl Vent,,?? Daaaangitt,,,

Did I mention Ive been sick? Im avoiding doing anything that requires decisions/thinking,, Need to put a switch in the water filter system, I was Thinking Id do it today,, but after that little stunt, I may just pass,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #8 - 01/15/13 at 09:53:56

Thanks verslagen1, that makes more scents. But of course before I ever got this bike running, I took the air box and charcoal canister out then rebuilt the motor so I'm not sure how the stock lines would have vent. Are you saying just stick some hose on there incase of a tip over for fuel to leak out in a different spot?

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 01/15/13 at 11:35:14

Lucaisrussell wrote on 01/15/13 at 09:53:56:
Thanks verslagen1, that makes more scents. But of course before I ever got this bike running, I took the air box and charcoal canister out then rebuilt the motor so I'm not sure how the stock lines would have vent. Are you saying just stick some hose on there incase of a tip over for fuel to leak out in a different spot?

The lines are about 6" long and stick in the frame above the carb.
Added bene is the float sticks it doesn't flood out the top as bad.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:16:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Air box delete mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.