Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My big issue with Savage handling - solutions? (Read 197 times)
strang

london
My big issue with Savage handling - solutions?
01/14/13 at 17:04:58

Really loving my savage and making slow improvements along the way - getting to a point where I'm happy except for a handling issue:
Basically when you change down from 3rd to 2nd gear I really hate this little "shimmy" that the back wheel does. Feels almost like it loses a bit of air suddenly and does a little wobble.
Normally I'll do this change down when going around corners and this only makes the heart in mouth feeling worse. It was wet and icy tonight in London and throw in the back wheel "shimmy" and I got quite a fright at one point.
What's the reason/solution for this?
Is it the smaller wheel - will going with a bigger back wheel sort it?
Will lowering the front shocks to give it a more standard bike geometry help? (is this standard bike geometry generally considered more stable?)
Do longer rear shocks help?
Basically is it the Suzuki chasing the Harley vibe geometry that's at fault?
ps. tyres are pumped up, and using clutch and changing smoothly.

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: My big issue with Savage handling - solutions?
Reply #1 - 01/14/13 at 18:30:59

Never had that problem with mine. Generally you'll want to see the curve, shift into the proper gear, allowing the engine and tranny a chance to synchronize, maintain that speed thru the first half of the turn. Then, upon reaching the apex of the turn, accelerate out of the turn. If you are having to make shift changes after entering the turn but prior to the apex then either you've entered too fast, too slow or somehow misjudged to the point that your trying to make a correction at the wrong spot in the curve.  Now, being that it is a single and is an overall light weight bike will amplify the same things that would happen on a heavier, multicylinder engine. It's just that those other bikes absorb the feeling more. Errors, if that is what it is, is sometimes more forgiving on your bike compared to others and vice versa.

Come on over to our side of the pond and spend a weekend at the Dragon. I'm certain a day or two there will work out any curve judging/entry speed/shifting/engine-tranny synchronization issues.  Either that or you won't have a rideable bike anymore.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 01/14/13 at 19:20:19

Swap the shocks with VS800 units. End of problem, the stock ones are crap, the 800 is heavier, a good bit taller, the shocks will put more loading on the front end. It will take some getting used to but once you do, you'll be cussing Suzuki like all the rest of us who put on taller shocks do. Same works in reverse, a VS800 handles better with Savage shocks (and looks better). Go figure... Huh

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 01/14/13 at 22:05:55

Down shifting in a curve at speed is not recommended at all. Taking power off the rear wheel and putting it back on is the cause of your shimmy. Our bike has enough torque to pull you out of the curve even at low revs in a higher gear.
That's why they beet the snot out of Hurleys at the Dragon.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 01/14/13 at 23:41:47

had that same issue till i cranked up the stiffness one notch

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #5 - 01/15/13 at 04:45:39

It was late when I wrote this and I didn't really mean I change gear in the curve - I change well before, but I'm thinking about the turn and watching traffic and if it does this little shimmy at this point it really gets on my tits. Also notice the issue when I change down for upcoming speed humps (they're everywhere in this town!)
Will try adjusting the shocks today and if that does fix it I'll go for longer shocks.
Other good cheap recommendations for substitute shocks?

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 01/15/13 at 06:41:06

I was thinking about what WD posted about how the stock rear shocks can cause loading on the front end.

My bike was stock for maybe a week. I do seem to remember an uneasy feeling of the front forks diving under medium to heavy breaking and maybe a tad when re-engaging the drivetrain after a downshift. I'm a big guy and it made me feel like I could almost flip over the handlebars if I braked too hard.  Maybe this is something similar or related to your experience.

For me my problem was solved with 3 changes. The first was installing fork extenders. Second was changing fork oil. Third was installing 6" risers. These 3 mods, at least for me, completely changed and significantly improved overall bike handling.  

IP Logged
rat907
YaBB Newbies

Have bike will
travel

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #7 - 01/15/13 at 06:46:57

I only had questionable wheel action when I shift into a lower gear when rpms are too high.

5 speed transmission and all, its still wide ratio and the rpms have to match the road speed for the gear or excitement happens.

Denny

2005 Suzuki S40 Boulevard, Lancers VM 36 Carb Kit & Thrush Glass Pack... Zoom Zoom!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 01/15/13 at 07:51:38

My post may have been a bit unclear... the Savage front end is so light that the stock rear shocks are stressed way passed their limitations. Taller shocks help correct the funky weight bias.

The donor 800 that I traded shocks with had an immediate improvement in handling with the rear end lowered. Intruders are front heavy, shorter rear shocks on them corrects their weight bias. And gets rid of the goofy dirt bike rear fender gap...

Perfect fix? No, but it works and is a whole lot cheaper than new rim, spokes, liner, tube and tire.

And try a 130 rear tire, they aren't as "squirmy" as a 140.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 01/15/13 at 07:52:48

Are you matching RPM well enough? Is it possible that shimmy is a little bit of rear tire sliding? Dang things dont take a lot before theyre being dragged down the road instead of rolling. You know how little rear brake is required to make one start to slide a little.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #10 - 01/15/13 at 12:57:35

I'll have to say I've never had this problem with any of my bikes.
If I did I would look at rear-wheel/ rear suspension problems first.
You didn't state how many miles are on your bike, but I'll assume
it's a few years old.
Check the spokes to see if they're tight.
Remove the rear wheel and check the swing-arm for play, for this
you'll need some help, someone to hold the bike while you tug on the
swing-arm side-to-side to ensure there's no play in the bearings.
Next check the rear pulley for wear, remove it and check the rubber
dampers. Then check or replace the wheel bearings and seals.
I would think this should eliminate the shimmy or wobble problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:13:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My big issue with Savage handling - solutions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.