Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 18069 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!
Reply #435 - 09/14/24 at 06:30:52

ThumperPaul wrote on 09/14/24 at 05:23:12:
Dave.  I’m probably wrong, but it “looks like” the oil is dripping down from somewhere above (but where would that be?).

The fact the leak didn’t start until you beefed up the oil pressure says something.  Gaskets and seals just can’t handle it?  

It’s ridiculous what they charge for the clutch side gasket.  Like you said, $30.   And it’s not even the good one with the metal inside.

The oil is not coming from up above the engine cases - the cylinder and head is dry as a bone.  The oil residue is limited to the top of the right side engine case - with small spots being wind blown to the area behind the starter.  After putting the new cylinder and head on I only rode the bike a few short miles before switching the pump gears - so I can't confirm that the leak wasn't there prior to changing the gears.  The engine did not leak oil in this spot previous to the cylinder/head change.

The new $30 gasket does have the steel center - you can see the shiny silver layer at the edge with the black covering bonded to both faces, and a magnet does pull on the gasket confirming there is steel inside.

IMG_3865.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #436 - 09/14/24 at 07:36:46

Where did you get your gasket?  My recent purchase was at Partzilla and it doesn’t have the metal.  I need to compare are my part # to your part # when I get back home.

Sorry I threw that out there about a leak from above.  I know you know this better than me!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #437 - 09/14/24 at 08:10:20

ThumperPaul wrote on 09/14/24 at 07:36:46:
Where did you get your gasket?  My recent purchase was at Partzilla and it doesn’t have the metal.  I need to compare are my part # to your part # when I get back home.

Rocky Mountain ATV

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #438 - 09/14/24 at 08:30:02

Decided to look it up before getting back home.

Your gasket part # ends in B20.  My gasket # ends in B11 for my model K5.  Apparently that’s the difference. B20 is the good one, but same price?

And what the heck is the difference between all the different models k5-k9?  There are other model difference for other year bikes and I’ve always attributed it to California models or European models or something like that.

Makes me want to order a B20 gasket and overlay it onto a B11 gasket…. Is there an extra hole or passage or something?

Sorry for hijacking your post!

IMG_5471-compressed.png
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #439 - 09/14/24 at 11:22:27

Looks to be random airborne drops varying in size. Start at the top , work your way down.
But really dye works so good , looks like lava. Sure it’s not coming from breather ? Fresh piston , increase in crankcase pressure , just sayin.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #440 - 09/14/24 at 11:44:05

Better hope it isn’t the bababase gasket ! But that makes a mess quick and you can usually see it.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #441 - 09/16/24 at 12:30:38

Dave, how is you oil leak investigation going?

That picture of the oil droplets on top of that decorative cover behind the starter sure does look like oil that fell down from above.  Have you looked at the 8mm head stud directly below the intake port.  I assume you are running a MLS head gasket.  Oil loves to migrate through the layers of those MLS gaskets.  That 8mm stud is pretty close to the oil feed passage.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #442 - Yesterday at 16:03:21

DragBikeMike wrote on 09/16/24 at 12:30:38:
Dave, how is you oil leak investigation going?

That picture of the oil droplets on top of that decorative cover behind the starter sure does look like oil that fell down from above.  Have you looked at the 8mm head stud directly below the intake port.  I assume you are running a MLS head gasket.  Oil loves to migrate through the layers of those MLS gaskets.  That 8mm stud is pretty close to the oil feed passage.

The cylinder, head and head cover are completely dry and clean.  I have removed the fuel tank and looked them over repeatedly.  I have stuck a new Q-tip in every fin, nook and cranny of the head looking for any signs of oil.  The 8mm nut under the intake is clean and dry.

The oil droplets seem to be coming from the top of the right side clutch cover.  That place leaks oil and the wind catches it and blows it behind the cylinder.

I am going to try replacing the clutch cover with a clutch cover that hasn't been struck by a disintegrating clutch cam and see what happens.  If the leak persists I will remove the oil pump overdrive gears and see if the leak goes away.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 05:11:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.