Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 18046 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!
Reply #420 - 07/30/24 at 10:39:34

I have more problems with jock itch than athlete's foot after a long ride.   Shocked

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #421 - 07/30/24 at 11:39:04

ThumperPaul wrote on 07/30/24 at 10:39:34:
I have more problems with jock itch than athlete's foot after a long ride.   Shocked

TMI................ Undecided

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #422 - 07/30/24 at 16:30:16

Thanks for the info Dave.  I'm gonna go pick up a can of that foot powder.  That looks to be a great tool.  Glad you got that leak nailed down.  How many miles do you have on that flat-top now?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #423 - 07/31/24 at 04:31:52

DragBikeMike wrote on 07/30/24 at 16:30:16:
 How many miles do you have on that flat-top now?

I have about 172 miles on the new piston and the oil pump gears.  I have not been able to put a lot of miles on it as there have just been too many other things going on around here lately.

I am leaving this morning to go riding around North Carolina/Tennessee with MMRanch, Stewmills, my neighbor Bruce and a friend of Stew's.  It would be nice to take the Savage - but I want to get the break in miles completed before I take it on a 3 day mountain ride.

I need to take the bike to TN/NC sometime this summer - the rear tires is getting a flat spot down the center and I should do some riding on mountain roads to scrub off some of the rubber on the sides of the tires!  It has been several years since the Cafe' bike has been on the Dragon.....that could likely be considered "neglect".

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #424 - 07/31/24 at 05:10:52

Dave, you definitely need to round out that tire wear issue!  Square tires are really bad!!  Enjoy your ride in the mountains!  Say Hello to MMRanch for me!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #425 - 07/31/24 at 05:15:58

Neglecting the curvy roads is almost a sin.
Yep.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #426 - 09/12/24 at 05:01:13

Hard to believe - but I am still chasing a bothersome oil leak.

I can take a short ride to town and back without any new oil spots - if I go for a 30 mile ride and get the bike really warm I will get 4 or 5 tiny oil spots on the tin shield behind the starter.

The oil leak on the right side is now gone - but I did have a bit of oil on the area behind the oil fill plug.  I had replaced the O-ring but it still had some oil weeping from that area.  I took out the plastic threaded cap and put in a metal one from an earlier bike - that appears to have stopped that leak.  This area never leaked prior to the oil pump overdrive gears.....perhaps the oil bypass jet that I installed on the backside of the oil filter housing has increased the amount of oil splashing up around the oil fill hole.

I got looking at the engine after a ride and the right side of the engine is clean - but I noticed the left side had a considerable amount of grime behind and under the pulley.  I removed the pulley cover and confirmed that the area was a mess - so I ordered a new output shaft O-ring and seal.

I took things apart last night and carefully inspected the parts as they were removed.  It did not appear that any oil was leaking out the seal on the outside of the pulley spacer - however the splined shaft was oily.  It appears the oil has been coming out the O-ring on the interior of the pulley spacer and then weeping out where the spacer and back of the pulley meet......as that had a thin coating of oil on it (there was no traces of oil on the front of the pulley).

I then took some mineral spirits and cleaned up the side of the engine.  When I removed the pulley spacer and wiped down the shaft I could see a thin line of brown deposits on the shaft where the O-ring had been sitting - it appeared to be rust!  I took some 800 grit sandpaper and removed the brown ring around the shaft, and installed the new O-ring and seal, and will put the rest back together today.

It appears this area has been weeping a small amount of oil for quite a while - but the amount of oil was small and not noticeable.  When I installed the oil pump overdrive gears and increased the oil pressure it appears the weep increased enough that oil on the backside of the pulley is becoming airborn when I get up to 50-60mph speeds (low speed rides to town evidently don't get enough air moving to blow the oil up behind the starter).  I will know in a few days if this will cure this elusive oil leak.

The photo is the area cleaned up prior to removing the pulley spacer and seal.....I had removed the seal retainer to allow me to clean up behind the spacer, and I put the screws back in to avoid getting dirty mineral spirits into the threads.  

IMG_3851.JPG

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #427 - 09/12/24 at 05:33:53

Wow.  It’s too clean!  Gotta leave some crud in there to act as a bandage!  

At least your oil leak is a result of doing an upgrade!  If I got an oil leak like that, it would be because I overfilled the crankcase and blew out the gaskets and seals!

Hope you get this resolved!  I don’t want you slipping on an oil patch scraping the pegs in the twisties!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #428 - 09/12/24 at 06:36:09

ThumperPaul wrote on 09/12/24 at 05:33:53:
Hope you get this resolved!  I don’t want you slipping on an oil patch scraping the pegs in the twisties!

When I was young I worked with a fellow that had a drag car that was "T bucket" with a Hemi that would turn 9 second times in the quarter mile.  He offered to let me drive it once - I declined the offer.  A couple months later he was going down the track and a rod broke and he suddenly had 8 quarts of oil all over his tires and he made a few spins before he came to a stop!  I am "soooo" glad I didn't take his car for a "spin"!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #429 - 09/12/24 at 10:24:32

ThumperPaul wrote on 09/12/24 at 05:33:53:
Wow.  It’s too clean!  Gotta leave some crud in there to act as a bandage!  

Too funny T/P , crud and Dave don’t get along. He may be allergic. Black engines are much harder to locate a leak. Put some dye in the oil and a u/v light or a black light , right after a ride , you’ll see where she’s bleeding.

« Last Edit: 09/12/24 at 17:54:37 by verslagen1 »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #430 - 09/13/24 at 14:43:40

Hey, throw us a bone will ya.  Howzabout lettin a little protective coating of dirt & grime build up before you post pics.  Jeeez that thing is clean.  My compliments.

I am surprised that you have a leak at that particular o-ring.  It's a static joint and the o-ring fits super-tight.  I was more concerned about the seal blowing out.  That's why I fabricated the special fitting so I could measure the pressure in that area.  As I recall, it was pretty darned low.  Any chance you are missing the o-ring on the orifice, or the orifice has been enlarged?

If that output shaft o-ring was leaking, you should have oil tracking all around the inner face of the pulley.  How did that face look?  Was the nut good & tight?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #431 - 09/14/24 at 03:41:42

DragBikeMike wrote on 09/13/24 at 14:43:40:
Hey, throw us a bone will ya.  Howzabout lettin a little protective coating of dirt & grime build up before you post pics.

I am surprised that you have a leak at that particular o-ring.  It's a static joint and the o-ring fits super-tight.

If that output shaft o-ring was leaking, you should have oil tracking all around the inner face of the pulley.  How did that face look?  Was the nut good & tight?

Well I should have taken a photo prior to cleaning things up.  The area was not saturated with oil and grime - there was a thin coating of crap, and the inside of the pulley had a small amount of oily dirt.

Yes the oil limiter orifice is still in place.

Once it was taken apart there was light coating of oil on the splined pulley shaft and the spacer.  There also was a light amount of oil on the pulley where it contacts the spacer.  The O-ring was a bit squashed from being in that location for 17 years.....and the shaft had a ring of brown stain/rust where the O-ring was in contact with the shaft.

I put it back together with a new seal and O-ring - and just for giggles I took off the Kawasaki front and rear pulleys and put it back together with the stock front and rear pulleys to see where this bike used to be in gearing.

I went for a 30 mile ride yesterday on my local twisty road - and I could not believe how low the stock gearing is!  With my tall gearing I am normally riding 4th gear - on this ride I was always in 5th and looking for another gear to shift into!   My Kawasaki gearing provides for 4,000 rpm at 70mph.....with the stock gearing 60mph was turning just a bit under 4,000rpm!  I rode the entire route in high gear and it certainly would be proper gearing if I was riding like Ruttly and "Going for the Gusto" at any instant - but it seemed like I was just spinning the engine too fast and it just felt and sounded way too busy than I was used to.

I will change the front sprocket to the Kawasaki and leave the stock rear one on and see if that is acceptable - if not I will then put the rear Kawasaki pulley on again.

And the bad news is I still have an oil leak......more on that below.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #432 - 09/14/24 at 03:44:14

So the result of the change of the drive pulley seal and O-ring is that I may have reduced a bit of oil seep - but it did not cure the oil drips that occur on the top of the engine near the starter.....and it appears the source of the oil is still the top of the clutch cover where the pressurized oil galley is.

This is a couple of oil spots after a 30 mile ride.

IMG_3863.JPG

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #433 - 09/14/24 at 03:49:33

And here is a photo of the top of the clutch cover that shows more oil.

I have a couple of options at this point.  I am getting a replacement clutch cover - this one was on the bike when the clutch release cam broke and it may have been tweaked and damaged.  There are some nicks and dents where the broken pieces got between the clutch basket and cover and caused an impact.  I will need to strip the coating off the new cover and get it buffed up to shiny polished aluminum....this will likely take 4 hours of work.  Then I can install it with a new factor $30 gasket and see if the oil leak is gone.

The 2nd option is to take out the oil pump overdrive gears and go back to stock.  I don't believe this leak was occurring when I had the stock oil pump gears in place.

IMG_3864.JPG

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #434 - 09/14/24 at 05:23:12

Dave.  I’m probably wrong, but it “looks like” the oil is dripping down from somewhere above (but where would that be?).  I realize oil can get splashed around and blown from just about anywhere.  That head bolt that lives in the cave below the carb intake perhaps (but I’m sure you’ve checked that)?

The fact the leak didn’t start until you beefed up the oil pressure says something.  Gaskets and seals just can’t handle it?  

It’s ridiculous what they charge for the clutch side gasket.  Like you said, $30.   And it’s not even the good one with the metal inside.  The alternator side is still only $17ish.  I don’t get why the big difference and if I recall correctly, the clutch side gasket used to be like $17 just 6-7 months ago.

With that gasket not being terrific, it sucks the wallet has to take a $30 hit each time you pull the cover or risk a pesky leak.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 11:59:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.