Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30
Send Topic Print
Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again! (Read 18110 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!
Reply #120 - 05/21/13 at 05:34:48

I an doing a little tweaking as the bike goes together again.  When I got the side panels mounted I noticed how flexible the front edges of the seat base were.  I could take my hand and push down on the edge of the seat and make it rub on the side panel - even though I had left about 1/4" clearance.  I had read about others having a rubbing problem in this area.  I took the seat off and noticed that the edges of the fiberglass seat pan where not in contact with the steel base.

I used Kitty Hair which is a fibeglass matt that is mixed with a hardener like body filler.   I used a body filler applicator to fill in the valleys and make it flat across so that the seat edges where in contact with the metal base.  It stiffened the seat edges considerably and gave it support, and it no longer contacts the side panels when you push down on the edges of the seat.

The other thing I did was to change the tail light.  I added turn signals and did not rely on the tiny little turn signsls build into the RYCA tail light.  This new light is built the same - but does not have the turn signals and the running and brake light are much brighter and far more visible in the daylight.  The RYCA tail light is on the left under the seat in this photo and the replacement is no the right.  The camera shot was at about 100 feet in the daylight.

This is the tail light I bought, and I did take it apart and disable the license plate light by pulling out two of the LED's....whidh disables that circuit and makes the other tail light LED's stop working.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330850269805?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m...

« Last Edit: 12/22/13 at 16:26:08 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #121 - 05/31/13 at 06:33:33

I have been riding and making carb adjustments for the last week or so.  I do believe I have it where it needs to be, and I will be removing the O2 sensor and putting the chome header pipe on.  I ended up with a 195 main jet, needle on the second notch from the bottom, and a # 20 pilot on the Mikuni VM36.  It is running really good and it reacts instantly to a throttle change......this is taking a bit of adjustment when you are trying to cruise along at a steady speed, as a little twist of the throttle makes a quick change in speed.

The bike runs and rides great, and I am getting used to the seating position.  The steering is limited by the size of the tank and the lower bars - and I believe the stock bike will turn a tighter corner.  This can fool you a bit when you are just getting underway and try to turn too sharp - but once out on the road it is never an issue.....you may not be able to turn around on the narrow country roads without having to back up a bit.  I have made several 65 mph runs on the interstate and that is a breeze, and I haveridden the bike up to a tad over 80mph and it feels stable.....however I don't intend to ride much at that speed.

I am very happy with the way the bike looks and rides....and I have no regrets about the Cafe' conversion.  The front fender will be done sometime this summer, and the paint next winter.  I plan on riding the bike a bunch this summer!  Thanks to Ryan and Casey at RYCA for pioneering the idea and providing the majority of the parts, to Lancer for the carb kit and moral support, to OldFellow for givng me the motivation and unpublished challenge to prove that it can be ridden on a Dragon weekend, and to my loving wife who has been neglected a bit while I spent lots of hours out in the garage this winter.  I am well satisfied that although this will not be a financial success.....it is an emotional and therapeutic success.

« Last Edit: 05/31/13 at 08:26:04 by Dave »  

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #122 - 05/31/13 at 08:21:27

Looks great Dave, really tight!   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #123 - 05/31/13 at 12:22:34

Nice Dave very nice.  Wink

IP Logged
caseyLA

Los Angeles
Reply #124 - 05/31/13 at 14:17:27

Cool project, looks great.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #125 - 05/31/13 at 16:39:41

Is it so throttle responsive that bumps make you wiggle & it responds?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #126 - 05/31/13 at 17:48:38

The tank looks very good on the bike, and I see that you choose a headlight that I have considered for quite some time for a build.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #127 - 06/01/13 at 04:11:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/31/13 at 16:39:41:

No, it doesn't change when I hit bumps.  It is just hard to hold a steady 60....or 65....or whatever speed you are looking for.  As you head up and down hills and have to add and let off the throttle the changes are larger than I am use to, and I wander around between 59 and 61.......not at 60.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #128 - 06/01/13 at 04:19:06

Dave wrote on 06/01/13 at 04:11:46:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/31/13 at 16:39:41:

No, it doesn't change when I hit bumps.  It is just hard to hold a steady 60....or 65....or whatever speed you are looking for.  As you head up and down hills and have to add and let off the throttle the changes are larger than I am use to, and I wander around between 59 and 61.......not at 60.

Good morning Dave.
59-61 ? ?
Picky picky picky.  LOLOLOL   Grin

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #129 - 06/01/13 at 04:45:17

Good grief, dude,, thats just Terrible,, What ARE you gonna do? 59 to 61?

Ohhh the humanity.. Heck,, Id just burn the blasted thing..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #130 - 06/01/13 at 06:04:11

Yup, throw that throttle set away and buy/install a newer one..... Cheesy

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Jiggyfly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #131 - 06/01/13 at 09:01:41

Bike looks awesome!
(Now we need video!)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #132 - 06/01/13 at 09:15:44

A mile a minute, focused on your speedo?....
Watch the road, Dave.... Grin...

Yer'nearly as bad as me,... playin' with my camera...
Grin Grin Grin....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #133 - 06/01/13 at 14:33:05

Excellent. The craftmanship and planning are evident if all you have is a twitchy throttle at this early stage of shake down. After you get back from the Dragon, maybe I can ride up there and take a look. Very nice Dave. Decided on a color scheme yet?

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #134 - 06/02/13 at 07:11:33

The focus on the speedo was me trying to calibrate the Vapor.  I was trying to keep 60 on the bike - while watching the GPS indicated speed.  It ended up not being a workable attempt.  There is a bit of a lag on the GPS as is calculates....and by the time it figures out what speed I am going.....I am not going that speed anymore!  So instead I am calibrating it by using the odo and the mile marker signs.  I have it real close right now.

I fueled up for the first time with some accurate mileage recorded.  I went 136 miles and it took 2.4 gallons.....so I got 57 mpg.  I think that is good as about 60 of those miles were at 65 mph and I had a few blasts up over 75, and I had some strong wind over the last few days. I think this tank will get me about 160 miles before reserve.

I am satisfied the carb is jetted well....so the Oxygen sensor came off and the chrome pipe went on.  The bike can be ridden with very little backfire if you roll the throttle off gently and coast to the light without snapping the throttle shut.  If you just chop the throttle......it backfires a lot.  The backfires are not loud rifle shots...but a pop, pop, pop as you are slowing down.  I am convinced that a bike that is jetted for good performance and mileage is going to backfire....and the rider needs to learn how to use the throttle and gears to minimize the conditions that cause it.  I am not sure if this opinion is universally shared on this site.....but I can make this bike really quiet or really loud by changing how I use the throttle, gear shift and brakes.

Side_Panels_001.jpg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:29:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thumpin' Special......On The Road Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.