Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
If you coould weld and powdercoat... (Read 197 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
If you coould weld and powdercoat...
01/13/13 at 08:55:21

What would be some projects you'd do to your bike?  These are two capabilities I now have in my shop. I picked up a stick welder a year ago and have been learning and practicing. I picked up a powder coating system a few months ago but haven't used it yet.

I do have sweet lighted and ventilated paint booth setup that I use for applying duracoat and cerakote to firearms. Its a 4ft cube that allows both suspension of parts from above as well various bases that hold items props up items from above and allow the items to be turned and held at various angles for proper coverage. Which of course durable firearm coatings opens up another durable coating option on bike stuff.

Anyhow, if you had these options what would you do with them?

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: If you coould weld and powdercoat...
Reply #1 - 01/13/13 at 10:37:23

I would probably powder coat the spokes black.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #2 - 01/13/13 at 10:59:34

colored rims and spokes in the 1920-1940's style!!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/13/13 at 11:17:02

First,.. there would no paint on my bike,... powdercoat everything, now painted black...
Second,... an up-swept exhaust along the left side above the belt... strut mount my rear fender,.. .. and maybe a small rack over the fender, coming off the frame behind the seat...
Huh... and that's all fer' now... Huh...

... and,.. if I could bend pipe,.. I'd make some old school handlebars... semi-standard shape but with slow curve bends instead of the angular bends you see in bars now...
... and an old school, U-shaped fork brace...
Huh Huh Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #4 - 01/13/13 at 12:32:10

Ability to bend pipe would be sweet.

I also parkerize everything before painting. I'll do the same before powder coating. Parkerizing cost very little, is super easy to do and I think creates the best surface on steel to accept paint or coatings.

What are max temp ranges for powdercoated metal?  Would exhaust pipe heat shields be too hot?  Maybe at the point where the clamps for the heat shields are mounted.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 01/13/13 at 13:31:40

Eastwood has exhaust component powders, or they used to anyway.

Pipe bender? Shoot me a sketch of what you want bent up, I've got an old (USA made old) Ridgid pipe vise with manual bender slots/holes. I work cheap... handlebars run a couple cases worth of PBR tall boys... Grin  Not saying I'll make them but... Works good for solid round bar parts too...

U shaped fender brace? Know anybody with an old crusty VW air cooled era bumper... just about right... my tracker project is getting Super Beetle bumper sourced fender parts... I love having tons of scrap metal to play with... and a forge... welders... cutting tools... lots of free time because it is too muddy to get any real work done on the farm...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #6 - 01/13/13 at 14:18:12

Thanks, WD. I'll check with Eastwood  

I figure for now parts on my 8 yo bike that don't have any signs of rust I may leave alone. But parts that have any at all, such as rear shock coils, handlebars, inside of exhaust cover, etc., I'll blast, parkerize then paint. I've got stainless steel color and black on hand.

Does regular powdercoat paint have the flexibility to move with the shock coils or is there an elastic additive that is needed?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 01/13/13 at 16:38:07

As best I can recall, shock springs are just plain old powder coat since there isn't that much movement, and it is spread out over the whole spring. Unless you have a progressively wound type, like the Ceriani units on my 250 Scrambler.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #8 - 01/13/13 at 17:27:08

It does seem like there are a lot of them out there that are powdercoated and don't really remember seeing one with the paint failing nor come across any emphasis for special coatings for them.

IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #9 - 01/13/13 at 18:02:29

gone fishing

« Last Edit: 02/26/13 at 17:12:18 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 01/14/13 at 06:13:52

If I'm building a car I care about I will powdercoat everything.
On my Spyder I did the whole rear subframe, every motor mount, intake manifold, throttle body, all the reservoirs, especially the valve cover.

--Steve

IP Logged
HoustonBussa
YaBB Newbies

If it ain't fun I
ain't doing it
-SYCKK Life

SW Houston
Reply #11 - 01/14/13 at 19:34:33

Powder coat a frame.

Cut and weld forward controls and custom pegs

WWW   IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #12 - 01/15/13 at 06:55:02

I feel like I got a late Christmas surprise!

You see, my mean streak 1600 was pretty heavily modified with quality aftermarket parts by the previous owner. Pretty much anything that was available aftermarket-wise that would improve the bike the previous owner installed.  It's been fun figuring it all out since I wasn't very familiar with this bike model before. I bought it at a bike shop, not directly from the previous owner.

Anyhow, last night I'm looking at the rear shocks and toying with the idea off powdercoating them.  I go to the computer to look up pics of my model whose owners powdercoated their stock shocks. Then it dawned on me that my rear shocks are different than all those pics I'm looking at.

Dude installed Progressive 412 shocks to both lower the rear and improve the ride. Yippee!!!  Merry Christmas to me!!!

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #13 - 01/15/13 at 07:37:50

Been welding for years, both my bikes have custom trailer hitches I made myself. Getting set up to powdercoat. I bought the Harbor Freight powder coat set But haven'tgot to use it yet. Got an oven given to me so will be able to do anything that will fit.

However, due to a small fire last year that I caught & put out myself, (nothing ike being prepared with hose ready to go & fire extinguishers) I'm currently having to rewire my shop & can do neither. Hope to get finished with that within the next month so I can get to some welding projects that are piling up done. Then I will be able to try my hand at powder coating.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #14 - 01/15/13 at 08:26:45

Nice job. Sweet looking setup.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:11:04

General CategoryThe Cafe › If you coould weld and powdercoat...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.