Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cheap OBDII code reader/code resetter (Read 107 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Cheap OBDII code reader/code resetter
01/12/13 at 21:21:58

Follow this link on AMAZON for a workable $20  OBDII scanner resetter for older cars.

http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B001LHVOVK/...

WHY do you need this?  Your engine trouble light comes on and you screw around with part stores or dealers or mechanics to get them to read the code you.

They tell you what the code is.   That's all.

What they DON'T tell you is that a lot of codes are transient, the circumstances happened once and the issue corrected itself on the next start up.

The codes stay in the computer and gets displayed until cleared.  The check engine light stays on.   BY LAW an auto parts store can't clear a code -- they can only read it.

All of these people want to sell you parts or service.

Get your own code reader for $20 -- read your codes and look them up on google to get the full story.  Then reset them to see if they come back.

Example:   I was throwing a post catalytic converter oxygen sensor heater circuit fault code.  First, it doesn't mean the sensor isn't working, it means it doesn't have the preheater working 100% so it doesn't warm up fast when you first start the car.  (and exhaust pipes get hot pretty durn quick anyway)  Second, when the code was cleared it didn't come back for weeks and weeks and weeks.   It only came back after driving in the rain ....

Failing an inspection for this code is avoidable.   Warm the car up good before taking it in for inspection.   Clear the code before taking it to the inspection station.   Or BE REQUIRED to pay the $200+ bucks for a new O2 sensor like every other smuck in the world.

OBDII checkers used to cost $70.   Not any more.  

$20 is cheap enough to own one -- and one cleared code, one non-recurring trouble light turned off (one avoided unnecessary repair job) more than pays you back for having bought it.   Heck, the gas and trouble getting it checked pays you back soon enough.  Just think of it, no more disconnecting the battery to kill the trouble light ....

BTW, make sure which OBD class your car uses.  More modern brand new cars may use OBDIII checkers

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Cheap OBDII code reader/code resetter
Reply #1 - 01/12/13 at 21:29:46

We finally have cars that talk...  
...and they talk in code...
...and they all talk in different codes...
Great... Huh...

... and what was the point of wanting cars that talk?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 01/12/13 at 21:38:17

So them durn car repair persons can bend you over the lube rack every time you are due for a yearly inspection?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #3 - 01/13/13 at 06:07:28

It pays to have your own code reader. My 2002 Jeep Liberty gave me a code one time that said the vacuum pump on the fuel vapor system was bad. I double checked everything and found a vacuum hose came off on the engine - problem fixed. If I would have taken it somewhere to have the code read/problem fixed, I would have gotten stuck for an expensive pump that I did not need.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 01/13/13 at 09:54:35

That's not a bad idea Oldfeller, I think I may pick one of those up for the next time the check engine light comes on.  

It also helps to have cool & honest guys at the local Autozone.. last time the light came on, I took it there and the dude said it was code such-and-such, to do with loose or defective gas caps and/or some other thing I forgot.  Sure enough, my wife had tanked up and forgot to screw the cap back on.. buhDERp  Smiley  Luckily with that particular problem, the light turns off when the problem is fixed.. no resetting wizardry required.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #5 - 01/13/13 at 12:17:08

Note that if you clear the code before an inspection that actually checks (like Houston) you will fail for "Not Ready" and be told to drive 100 miles and come back.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 01/13/13 at 13:37:14

I want to run my truck through an emissions test just to see the look on the technician's face... road draft tube crankcase ventilation, points ignition, oil bath air cleaner, flat head engine...  Roll Eyes

I think Lisa ordered a scanner today for her 95 Outback... Runs for 10 seconds and shuts off. I think (hope) the ecu/ecm is fried... I hate that car...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 01/16/13 at 15:05:51

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/12/13 at 21:21:58:

BTW, make sure which OBD class your car uses.  More modern brand new cars may use OBDIII checkers

OBDII was mandated for '96 to present.  OBDIII has not yet been implemented, but from what I've read, it sounds very "big brother" to me. Angry

http://straighttalkautomotive.com/articles/have-you-heard-of-%20obd-iii.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 00:18:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cheap OBDII code reader/code resetter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.