Super Thumper build-up (Read 196 times)
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Super Thumper build-up
01/12/13 at 10:18:06

Just got my two big bore kits from Lancer..Quality stuff.....highly recommended!! one's a 95mm which will be used on another project and the 97mm is going on my current bike. Waiting for my cylinder head to come back from the machine shop with new valve job and porting done. I have a cam coming from lancer as well. This what the engine will be like when finished, 97mm  (695cc)High compression (10.5 to 1) Big Bore Kit, Web Cam (custom grind), ported cylinder head, heavy duty Barnett clutch, Big Bore exhaust,  Mikuni VM-36 Carb Kit with a U.F.O. , Intellijet and a Torque Wing. Also will have a chain drive conversion, handlebar mounted Tach & Speedo and an oversize 4.0 gallon gas tank (a modified OEM Savage tank) with a raptor petcock. I am trying to find a source for a QUALITY cam chain...anyone know where to get one that isn't over $100.00?  I LOVE reading about and looking at the pics of all the projects and modifications you folks are doing over the winter. As  things come together on my project I will be posting pics and comments for all to see!

Live To Ride...Ride To Live
WWW   IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Re: Super Thumper build-up
Reply #1 - 01/12/13 at 10:24:31

sounds pretty sweet, I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #2 - 01/12/13 at 12:37:17

Way cool, cant wait to hear about the improved performance.  Smiley

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #3 - 01/12/13 at 12:47:44

With the $$$$ you've already put out, don't let price influence your cam chain choice.
You are going to have higher lift & increased valve spring pressures against a chain that is marginal in a stock engine. Plan on replacing it often due to stretch.

I would buy the best chain I could find. Just like my modified 2.3L Ford motor has Esslingers' best wide timing belt kit. Too much to risk on inferior parts! Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 01/12/13 at 13:54:23

While packing/selling/throwing stuff for the move to OK I came across the old file for the nitrided cam chains we got in years past.  I thought it was long gone but very pleasantly surprised to see it come out of a box.  Because of the move I will not be able to do anything with it for a while but perhaps later this year something can be done.
When purchased in even a relatively small number the cost is a lot less than stock units and they are designed not to stretch as much.

**  Does anyone from the previous purchases have any measured data  on how they stood up compared to the stock chains  ? ?

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #5 - 01/14/13 at 08:20:08

Where can I get one?

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 01/14/13 at 14:01:15

Super Thumper wrote on 01/14/13 at 08:20:08:
Where can I get one?

At the earliest they would not be available until the FALL in all likelihood.
I am going to be heavily involved in building shop/storage building and house when arriving in Oklahoma, so working motorcycle parts will be significantly slowed.  Also, IF I can still order the chains (may no longer have the contacts available) the process can take a couple of months.
It requires collecting a list of everyone who will COMMIT to the purchase and payment in advance is required.  The chains are made in Japan and the manufacturing schedule and return shipping schedule take up a lot of time.  Return shipping is usually by SLOW surface ship.
When I am able to verify if we can even make another order and what the current costs are, I will post a separate thread for this specific item.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 01/14/13 at 21:34:43

LANCER wrote on 01/12/13 at 13:54:23:
While packing/selling/throwing stuff for the move to OK I came across the old file for the nitrided cam chains we got in years past.  I thought it was long gone but very pleasantly surprised to see it come out of a box.  Because of the move I will not be able to do anything with it for a while but perhaps later this year something can be done.
When purchased in even a relatively small number the cost is a lot less than stock units and they are designed not to stretch as much.

**  Does anyone from the previous purchases have any measured data  on how they stood up compared to the stock chains  ? ?

When are you gonna be here? We gotta meet man! What town you move to again? I'm in McAlester.

IP Logged
Super Thumper

2001 LS650 With 97mm
Big Bore Kit, Stage
III Cam.

Windsor, Vermont
Reply #8 - 01/15/13 at 07:09:44

Good luck with your move...best of luck on getting the shop up and running.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:08:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Super Thumper build-up

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.