Bike Won't Run (Read 123 times)
223fan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crawley   WV
Bike Won't Run
01/12/13 at 07:45:52

My bike is a 2012 with 6200 miles on it.About 3 weeks ago I took the battery out and put a tender on it because it finally got to cold to ride.A few days ago it warmed back up so I put it back in and rode it about 25 miles to work and noticed it surging more tha normal but once up to 50mph it quit.I rode it to work yesterday topped it off with gas and rode about 50 miles to work bike run great I figured maybe had a little water in the gas causing the surging the day before.I get off work the bike won't hit when I crank it.I drift it about to see if it'll start that way,but didn't start.I drained the bowl on the carb and keep cranking finally got it to start run it about 2 miles it started popping and if you gave it any throttle it would die.Loaded ut up on a truck and brought it home.Then once home I drained the carb a couple more times and drained some gas out of the tank thru the petcock,thinking maybe water.I then cranjed the bike up ran great took it for a short spin.Thought it was fixed.Got up this morning bike won't hit at all when I crank it.I never got any water from the gas that I could see.I'm thinking maybe spark plug or maybe something got wet in the downpour yesterday even though I have rode it i  the rain a lot and never had a problem.Anyone else have suggetion what to look at.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Bike Won't Run
Reply #1 - 01/12/13 at 07:56:01

Id hafta shoot something into the air filter & see if it hits. If so, then its got spark & air.
Im leaning toward a fuel problem, but, ya gotta walk thru the steps & see..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
223fan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crawley   WV
Reply #2 - 01/12/13 at 08:01:12

I'll see if I can find some starter fluid

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/12/13 at 08:04:11

IDK id WD 40 still uses propane but it was a good engine starter.,
go easy with that ether,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
223fan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crawley   WV
Reply #4 - 01/12/13 at 08:57:49

Pretty sure it's water.Drained the carb again got some water this time,so I drained the tank , gonna give it a little time and see if the water seperates from the gas that came out of the tank.I shot a little either in it after i drained the gas it started and ran for a few seconds.

IP Logged
223fan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crawley   WV
Reply #5 - 01/12/13 at 09:42:43

Got about a table spoon of water out of it.I put some fresh gas in it and took a 4 mile ride,runs great.One last question is it possible for water to enter the tank through the key hole?Thanks for the quick help.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 01/12/13 at 14:27:15

Yes it is.

And it is not unheard of for the decompression relay to get wet and cause problems. They aren't waterproof, even though it is supposed to be what is called "potted" with resin. Water can still get in there and cause an intermittent short. Nothing that a little dielectric grease won't fix, unhook the connectors, gunk the pin bases up, put back together. I think the stock location is at the upper rear of the carb, my relay shorted out years ago.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 01/12/13 at 14:57:59

WD wrote on 01/12/13 at 14:27:15:
Yes it is.

And it is not unheard of for the decompression relay to get wet and cause problems. They aren't waterproof, even though it is supposed to be what is called "potted" with resin. Water can still get in there and cause an intermittent short. Nothing that a little dielectric grease won't fix, unhook the connectors, gunk the pin bases up, put back together. I think the stock location is at the upper rear of the carb, my relay shorted out years ago.

it's not potted at all,   it's just got a half-a$$ed job of gluing the plug side cap into the box that holds circuit board of relays.  Even with that zuki would have done much better to at least mount the thing with the plug pointed down instead of with it horizontal to the road with the plug slightly tilted up.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 01/12/13 at 15:29:59

I still have mine. I think I'll dissect it and see just how bad it really got, if you hold it by your ear and wiggle it, it sounds like a baby's rattle...

That's why I said "supposedly"... Grin

Seriously sub-par electrical parts on these bikes.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 01/12/13 at 15:43:06

WD wrote on 01/12/13 at 15:29:59:
I still have mine. I think I'll dissect it and see just how bad it really got, if you hold it by your ear and wiggle it, it sounds like a baby's rattle...

That's why I said "supposedly"... Grin

Seriously sub-par electrical parts on these bikes.

Mines still around here somewhere.

If you remember mine got bad enough that I had a ghost zuki.  It would just start spinning the starter over by itself at random times.  Took me several days to finally figure out that it was that little box causing the issue.  I've had my decomp system by-passed ever since.   I had thought about making a solid state replacement for it that was truly potted, but there didn't seem to be enough intrest here for me to really pursue that, and I haven't had any issues with starting with it by-passed. The only reason I've left the decomp stuff on the bike for now, is for when I get the over-bore/hi comp kit from Lancer for a just in case it needs that for the higher compression.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 01/12/13 at 21:16:58

You may consider a cheapie cover you can throw over the bike while you are at work.  Would keep the rain from pounding down on it and would also act to protect it from the ravages of the sun.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
223fan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crawley   WV
Reply #11 - 01/14/13 at 11:57:04

Up date. I didn't ride sunday,but I was going to ride it to work this morning and it wouldn't start.I'm gonna pull the plug and check it.I think I'm going to replace it while I'm at it and the air filter to it looks pretty ruff.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 02:15:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike Won't Run

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.