Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buying first bike what to look for!!! (Read 227 times)
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Re: Buying first bike what to look for!!!
Reply #15 - 01/12/13 at 05:26:41

Glad it worked out for you.

You are never too old or too experienced to practice, especially with a new-to-you bike. I started riding 22 years ago. Strokes a few years ago then a blood clot in my spine that initially paralyzed my entire pelvic region and left leg (corrected most of that with emergency surgery with time and  returning me to 90%) derailed my riding. Got another bike recently. My brain knew what to do from years of riding. Didn't know if the body would fully cooperate. So I spent most of the first few weeks practicing all the maneuvers in a local school parking lot that I had learned at MSF classes and through experience.

You are never too good, too experienced to practiced.

To keep somewhat on topic, I've bought bikes that had a sticky throttle. Almost alsways turned out to be a fraying throttle cable.

IP Logged
Jerry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 01/20/13 at 17:54:33

OK guys i have an update on the bike and a couple of questions. After about a week of haggling with this guy about the savage i bought it last night for $550 dollars. It was leaking oil, he didnt have the key to lock the front forks, the seats were dry and ripped due to sitting, and finally the exhaust was scratched badly due to him dropping it while backing it out of th garage.

So first question is how hard and expensive is it to get the key to lock the forks or do i just go up to a dealership?

Secondly does anybody on here have an extra seat that they would be willing to sell.

Thanks again for any imput gentlemen.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #17 - 01/20/13 at 18:18:36

Jerry,
Congrats. i bought mine used and also did not have the fork lock key. I contacted both the dealer and Suzuki with the VIN and was told they do not provide keys based on the VIN. Unless you have the key code that came with the keys when the bike is new, or want to fork over the cost of a new lock set, you are probably out of luck. I use a cable lock when traveling.

Don't have a seat but they come up from time to time.

Welcome and good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Jerry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 01/20/13 at 18:24:18

Thanks for the info and the idea with the cable lock Blinky.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #19 - 01/20/13 at 20:16:12

I have never used the fork lock on any bike I have owned.  I have used the disk brake locks.

IP Logged
Jerry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 01/21/13 at 17:15:39

ok ill have to look at picking some up then and try em. Thanks

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #21 - 01/22/13 at 06:26:10

Yea the fork lock is convenient, but that's about it. They typically are easy to break.  If you live somewhere where theft is a major concern a fork lock is more effective as it's not easily broken and will stop them from rolling it away, if there are a couple of guys they can still drag it onto a flatbed or even heft it up onto a truck, but I doubt many people will go through that trouble for a LS650 there are alot of bikes worth alot more money.  If you are going to have saddle/luggage bags a chain is great, you can chain the bike to something or if there is nothing around just through the wheels.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:31:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying first bike what to look for!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.