Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buying first bike what to look for!!! (Read 227 times)
Jerry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buying first bike what to look for!!!
01/11/13 at 18:53:03

So i have found a 97 Savage LS650 for $800 and since this will be the first bike that i am ever buying and planning to learn on i am wondering if this is a decent price for the bike and also what I should look for with these bikes as far as areas of concern. I am goin to look at the bike in a few days and would be very gratefull for any assistance.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: Buying first bike what to look for!!!
Reply #1 - 01/11/13 at 19:02:07

Welcome Jerry. Go to the Tech Section and then to table of Contents with Links. The very first one is Buying Tips.

How many miles on the bike?

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Jerry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/11/13 at 19:07:01

the guy told me it only had 3500.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/11/13 at 19:14:11

If it is solid, with only 3500 miles, it sounds like a decent deal but use your common sense and take your time.

You said if everything comes together, this is the bike you will learn on. It can be a great bike to learn on if you ride with some maturity (and I don't mean age) and take the Beginning Riders Course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. if you have been known to say "watch me do this" and plan to have a friend teach you, then you might want to consider a 250cc as a first bike. Just my humble opinion.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 01/11/13 at 19:16:17

Jerry wrote on 01/11/13 at 19:07:01:
the guy told me it only had 3500.

Welcome Jerry!

3500 miles is very low for a 1997. It should look and run like new with those miles! $800 is a good price if the scooter is in the condition that equals the miles. I gave $1500 for my '96 last June with 8400 miles but it looked and ran showroom.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Jerry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/11/13 at 19:17:25

Yeah i planned on taking the course and yes i plan on riding with maturity thats why i have waited as long as i have so that i wasnt just another young kid jumping on a bike and ripping around to show off.

IP Logged
Jerry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 01/11/13 at 19:22:36

Thank you Zar. I am still kind of worried that with the bike being a 97  that it might have some problems with that few of miles but then again this is my first bike so i am not sure what most bike of that age should averages as far as miles. But then again how the previous owner stored it should say a lot as well.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 01/11/13 at 19:22:46

WWW   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 01/11/13 at 19:29:51

Hey Jerry....
I'm a newbie too, tho I'll be 60 next week. I have been riding a year and a half, but have clocked almost 8000 miles in that time frame. I started with a Rebel, she was a very forgiving bike, but quickly saw too less of CC's can be a safety issue, as you don't have the ability to run out of dangers way.
What has worked for me is to ride well within my means, don't push your ability...it will come. The course is wonderful, I felt way better to handle the road after completion....remember, ain't no fender-benders on a motorcycle, you must always pay attention on a bike, even when your not moving, as a lot of accidents are people hitting a bike from behind as they waited at a light...

I love my 650, bet you will too!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Jerry
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/11/13 at 19:34:16

ok thanks raydawg. like i had said i had always worked on sports cars and stuff like that but bikes are completely foreign to me and i will deffinately remember your advice and thanks for the imput man.

IP Logged
mikey2004

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sarasota Florida
Reply #10 - 01/11/13 at 22:05:02

i just bought might 2 weeks ago 99 savage with 16k and an oil leak for 500.00 im fixing my oil leak today but can warn you that it is common on this bike. the head cap leaks but its not a hard job to fix and it really is a great bike with unlimited ways to make it your own. there really is so much you can do to this bike.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 01/11/13 at 22:21:56

Take the professional riding course, check the oil level in the window at the bottom of the right crankcase cover. You need to have the bike warmed up a little to do this. The oil should be about half way up the window or just a little over. The bike needs to be vertical to do this, so you will need someone to sit on it to keep it upright while you are checking. Tyre rot could be an issue with a low mileage bike that old. The battery may also be an issue. Some on this forum suggest that a heavily blued exhaust pipe may indicate a lack of engine oil at some time in the bikes life. Check tyre pressures before test riding. If you do buy it, enjoy it stock for a couple of months before rushing into bobbing, tuning, modding affairs.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 01/11/13 at 23:26:53

It's a good bike to learn on,.. and to keep for a good while (possibly forever)...
...as long as you avoid that initial,.. panic, and lock the throttle WFO...
(that's the stuff Youtube was made for)... Grin...
If you can avoid that,... or take a rider course on a 250 for a bit,... I'd say it's the ultimate...

Seems like you just need 10 minutes on any bike to know...
Some people seem to have an instinctive... freeze... upon panic...
... and if you freeze, at full throttle,.. that will be bad... Grin... (even a moped, just not as bad)...

Just remember.... if you panic... let the throttle go...
Practice,.. releasing the throttle, a dozen times before you start your first ride...
You get past that,.. and a Savage is a great stater bike...
It's just capable of shooting you a good bit faster than a 250,.. on those first couple of launches...
That's why a safety course is such a good idea for a noob rider...

Don't be sacred,.. I don't mean to make any new rider scared... just be calm,.. and wise...
(Funny,.. I never thought about it before... but, in a car, it seems much more natural to release the gas pedal in a panic... so many people on bikes, lock the throttle-hand wide open)...

So many more videos of bikes shooting through fences and sheds than cars on Youtube...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
HoustonBussa
YaBB Newbies

If it ain't fun I
ain't doing it
-SYCKK Life

SW Houston
Reply #13 - 01/12/13 at 01:29:19

I wish I could find one for $800. lol.. Congrats on the find!

WWW   IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #14 - 01/12/13 at 03:53:46

Normal savage wrongens:
- only happy running on the half choke setting - ignore it, this is a simple $1 fix and is detailed in the tech section, "white spacer mod".
- oil leak from cylinder head.
everything else tally up on a bit of paper and haggle your arse off.
even tally up the two I said are normal and act like they are the end of the world - depends how good you are at this game  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:26:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buying first bike what to look for!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.