Send Topic Print
Flaming exhaust (Read 167 times)
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Flaming exhaust
01/11/13 at 10:20:17

So I was riding out to this chicks house the other night;) and before I hit the exit I was doing about 75 (7/8th throttle) for about 20 minutes strait. When stopped at the light and stuck my gloved frozen fingers in the exhaust to warm up I noticed that there were flames coming out the tail pipe. Now this is the only time it's happened, the bike continued to run well, and the flames stopped about after 1 minute while sitting at the light. My question is why would this happen? Did the valves get to hot? Is that just what happens after some hard riding? I've included 2 pictures of my exaust set up because I've got a feeling it's time for a real muffler(my home made baffle is costing me my low end torque). My current exhaust set up if strait pipe that ends with a cone shaped piece of piping and a baffle. Suggestions please!

image_038.jpg

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Re: Flaming exhaust
Reply #1 - 01/11/13 at 10:22:44

The previous picture is the baffle I made at the end of the pipe, this is the whole thing. All strait pipe till the very end where there's a little baffle I made.

image_039.jpg

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #2 - 01/11/13 at 10:33:38

Just one more picture. If you're wondering I cut the stock pipe right after before the muffler, found some Honda civic piping with about a 45degree bend in a dumpster, a Mazda rx8 tip off my buddy's muffler, and a ninja baffle some guy was taking off his bike. Cut it all up and welded it together. Cost me nothing besides the flux core and heat rap cause its not to pretty bare.

image_040.jpg

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/11/13 at 10:48:41

I can hear the ground rumblin' from here... and you're worried about a little flame?

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 01/11/13 at 11:28:56

They just happen sometimes. There is a hot spot in the first pipe bend, any fuel vapors that are not completely burned hit the hot spot and ignite. A sustained speed run followed by a quick slow down is going to let some raw or toasted but not burned vapors through the exhaust valve. I've got an old truck (really old, 1949 Dodge with an L6 flattie) that was bad about belching flames the last couple times I drove it. Incomplete combustion and a hot spot in the pipe where it makes a 90* bend to go back under the cab.

If it does it fairly frequently you have a burned valve that isn't seating anymore. If it is just after a higher speed run, don't sweat it. Perfectly normal.

I used to run a turn down tip off the stock headpipe, would wind the engine up tight and chop the throttle closed just to see how big a fireball (and hole in the yard) I could make.  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Lucaisrussell

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern ca
Reply #5 - 01/11/13 at 11:51:37

Thanks for the info. A pretty big fire ball shoots out of this thing after I hit the kill switch witch is always fun to watch.

Kill bodies
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/11/13 at 13:32:58

espiecially when you call them over to see something on your tail light   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 01/12/13 at 02:47:03

It might be that you don't have anything wrong....or anything to fix.  When you run down the road at speed you get that muffler really hot, and the heat wrap might be holding a bit more heat inside....but no bigee as eveything is hot in the exhaust system.  When you stop your bike you are killing the ignition source in the cylinder (spark plug) - but not the flow of air through the carb or piston.  As the engine is spinning down it is pulling air through the carb which picks up fuel, then it goes through the cylinder and out into the exhaust.  As the unburned air/fuel mixture heats up in the still hot exhaust - eventually it reaches a temperature somewhere in the pipe that causes the air/fuel mixture to ignite.  It makes a flame that heads out the back of the pipe, and depending on the richness it either explodes and makes a pop.....or just burns.

Is it just me.....or does the inside of that exhaust system look awfully clean?  Where is the black/brown color that tail pipes turn when the engine runs?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 01/12/13 at 11:15:22

I've been working on an exhaust too, and I can't remember where, but somewhere on here, I read that it makes a big difference where you place the baffle in your pipe. That may help you with your torque.

The guy was working with a regular straight pipe, and what he did was to put a long stiff wire; like coat hanger, on the end of the baffle, and with his bike running, he slid the baffle down the length of his exhaust pipe to see where it worked best before he bolted into place.
He found that it worked better the closer he could get it to the middle of the pipe; the closer it was to the end, the less effective it was.
I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to unwrap all of that and take it apart at this point, but placing a baffle in the mid-section of the pipe might give you what you're looking for?
I have no idea if that will help your flame throwing issues, but who needs hairs on your knuckles anyway? Just be carful where you warm your hands up!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:20:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flaming exhaust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.