Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Top Tins.....Just for show???? (Read 148 times)
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Top Tins.....Just for show????
01/10/13 at 07:36:57

Looking at the scoot a couple of days ago while working in the barn I started thinking about maintenence and changes on the bike. Having come from the old school of riding and infatuated with the barebones and basic Brit bikes of the 1960's/70's I'm not sure I like those HUGE chrome head tins.

So, do they serve any purpose other than to draw in the folks mesmerised by shiny geegaws? Are they really protecting anything or do they just gather dirt,rocks and bugs and hold it there to cause corrosion problems?

Seems like I get a lot of comments on my "antique" motorcycle from folks on the street. Some even think it's an old Indian at first glance. With the tins off and the bare head showing I'm thinking that illusion would be even better.

Discussion please.......

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Top Tins.....Just for show????
Reply #1 - 01/10/13 at 07:41:39

All they do is hide some of the mechanical "ugly" of the head design. I run the spark plug side tin to hide the decomp hardware, threw the right side tin out years ago (or it is in a misc spares box), bike looks much better with the right side bare. Once I switch to a manual compression release I'll deep six the left side tin and grind off the mounting points to smooth off the head.

Now to find a compatible coil that takes a swappable spark lead... I'm leaning towards a VW style and braided plug wire to flow better with the overall look of my bike. Suzuki really gave us a big "F U" with the coil and integrated plug lead...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/10/13 at 09:21:12

I believe that the side pieces are just there for styling, and to hide the decompression hardware.  It does make the engine appear a bit taller and larger than it really is.

I think it helps the vintage and or rat bike look when they are gone, and I really like the looks of them when they are painted black on an engine with a black cylinder.

RYCA.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #3 - 01/10/13 at 09:43:30

Thanks guys! I think I'll toy around with it a bit and see how I like it.

Dave......you can't be more than 70  or so miles from me. We need to meet up this spring or summer. Maybe the Richwood Flea Market or around that area?

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 01/10/13 at 10:30:30

ZAR wrote on 01/10/13 at 09:43:30:
Dave......you can't be more than 70  or so miles from me. We need to meet up this spring or summer. Maybe the Richwood Flea Market or around that area?

Yep......We do need to find some time for a ride this spring/summer.  This winter I am going to do a major renovation of my bike, and I hope to get it rideable by the time warm weather returns.  I will update this Forum once the actual work begins.....at this point I have just been stocking up on parts for the transformation.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 01/10/13 at 10:37:21

Dave wrote on 01/10/13 at 10:30:30:
ZAR wrote on 01/10/13 at 09:43:30:

Yep......We do need to find some time for a ride this spring/summer.  This winter I am going to do a major renovation of my bike, and I hope to get it rideable by the time warm weather returns.  I will update this Forum once the actual work begins.....at this point I have just been stocking up on parts for the transformation.

Sounds good Dave. Rabbit Hash might be a good run. The AA is too straight for me!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 01/10/13 at 17:29:16

I actually like them. To me the bike looks better with them on.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 01/10/13 at 18:33:24

ralfyguy wrote on 01/10/13 at 17:29:16:
I actually like them. To me the bike looks better with them on.

Yeah ralfy but you gotta remember(look at yer avitar bro) you're used to more "up top"! Wink

IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #8 - 01/10/13 at 18:36:11

Yeah, I kinda like them as well.  Smiley

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 01/10/13 at 20:15:45

ZAR wrote on 01/10/13 at 07:36:57:
....do they serve any purpose.....

In the past, some have conjectured that those covers may aid the cooling air flow.

Not sure if I agree.....I'm just sayin'.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:27:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Top Tins.....Just for show????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.