Send Topic Print
Motorcycle carrier (Read 297 times)
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Motorcycle carrier
Reply #15 - 01/11/13 at 01:00:30

tizzyfit wrote on 01/10/13 at 02:13:07:
Anyone have any experience with an AMC-400 aluminum motorcycle carrier? The max weight limit is 400 lbs and their photo's shows a Yamaha XT Enduro 500 strapped to their carrier, which should be about the same weight and size of the S40/LS650.  www.discountramps.com  For $160 including shipping is way cheaper than buying a trailer.

Some additional information I failed to mention initially.  The "plan" is to use this carrier on the back of my diesel pusher motor home.  Dave's trailer looks GREAT and would be a viable solution EXCEPT trying to back-up a small trailer with a 40' motorhome is a non-starter.  The hitch on the M/H is a class V, so the combined weight of the carrier and S40 would be well under the maximum tongue weight limit.  Further, there are a number of fairly inexpensive products available which eliminate the side-to-side and up and down movement "issues" when inserting things like this carrier into the hitch. The comment about pushing the S40 UP a ramp to load it is certainly valid and I'm not sure I want to experiment with this task and find the S40 pinning me to the ground.  Maybe a longer ramp would reduce the angle enough to make it less of a potential issue.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 01/11/13 at 07:21:46

If youve got a motor home to hang it off of, youre golden,,& dont be shy to build what ya need to get that bike on & off. Be a pretty crummy vacation to have that thing layin on ya,,

You can mount 2 receivers & use a long ramp. Get the bike on the ramp & lift it into position, then pin it in the second spot. Jacks lift, come-alongs lift, lots of ways to win this safely.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 01/11/13 at 07:32:48

Yep.....Motorhome changes my thoughts and suggestions entirely.  My tiny trailer works great behind my Vibe.....behind a motorhome it would be a disastor and backing it up would be impossible.  That tiny trailer is for use behind a small car - not any SUV or truck or RV.

I believe the weight capacity is not an issue - but finding a way to load and unload safelly is the new challenge.  You can't ride it up on that hauler - and once you get a couple of feet off the ground your ability to push while holding the handlebars to steer becomes difficult.  If you can find some able and willing bodies to help push the bike up and down, then it would be doable.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #18 - 01/11/13 at 08:39:27

i had the local spring/trailer shop fab me a carrier for thumperclone (165# wet)when they were bending the leaf springs on my 97 2.4l tacoma
it fits into the class 2 reciever and has a reciever for the pop up trailer
hitch
had trouble with the tipping till i bought a collar that straddles the reciever and the ball bar,has a series of 16 set screws and loknuts
no tippies nomore..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 01/11/13 at 09:39:01

Now,, Picture this. 2 receivers, round pipe. 2 gizmos that you can roll the bike onto. Raise them into position & pin the internal pipe so it cant rotate.

Yes, theres more, No, Im not gonna try to explain it all.,.I think thats a good starting point,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 01/11/13 at 09:51:19

I haven't actually tried this, because I haven't needed to. My idea for single-handed loading a bike up a ramp into a pickup, was an electric winch such as the ones used on ATVs. Acquire a suitable winch with a remote control long enough to reach from the winch to the front of the motorcycle, with the motorcycle on the ground at the end of the ramp. The winch can be mounted to the front of the box, or somewhere else with a pulley so the cable runs straight along the ramp. Spool the cable to the bike and attach it thereunto. Holding the remote in one hand (or attaching it with hook-and-loop tape to the bar), use the winch to pull the bike up the ramp. You should only have to balance the bike and walk alongside it. For unloading, park so the bed of the truck slopes slightly downward, then use the winch to control the bike as it rolls out of the truck and down the ramp. The same general idea ought to be workable for a trailer, or even sideways loading such as a bike carrier on the rear of a motorhome.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 01/13/13 at 01:04:13

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/11/13 at 09:39:01:
Now,, Picture this. 2 receivers, round pipe. 2 gizmos that you can roll the bike onto. Raise them into position & pin the internal pipe so it cant rotate.

Yes, theres more, No, Im not gonna try to explain it all.,.I think thats a good starting point,

I've looked at the products offered by Fast Master products, Inc.  One of their single wheel trailers has a duel receiver hitch system.  www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel58.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:19:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle carrier

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.