Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle carrier (Read 297 times)
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Motorcycle carrier
01/10/13 at 02:13:07

Anyone have any experience with an AMC-400 aluminum motorcycle carrier? The max weight limit is 400 lbs and their photo's shows a Yamaha XT Enduro 500 strapped to their carrier, which should be about the same weight and size of the S40/LS650.  www.discountramps.com  For $160 including shipping is way cheaper than buying a trailer.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Motorcycle carrier
Reply #1 - 01/10/13 at 05:33:35

IDK hoot about that particular make/model. Ive seen stuff like that goin down the road, no drama/.I have a hard time seeing myself poke a square pipe in another square pipe & run a pin thru it & then run my bike up on it & go drive around, but, if I had to, I guess I would.
TRailers can be had for little $$ at Harbor Freight. Get the kit, build it. Its a small cargo hauler or a bike hauler, or both. Put tie downs in the floor & Violins ,, ya got it..,They sell tie downs, too, IIRC. I know Ive got some in mine,
Get to diggin in the plywood stack at Lowes. I found some 3/4 Oak ply that was scraped up & got it 50% off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 01/10/13 at 07:00:23

When you use a motorcycle carrier plugged into a hitch receiver, you also have to consider the weight limits on the receiver and your vehicle. A load like that might also have adverse effects on the base vehicle's handling. On the other hand, unlike a trailer, there is no registration and tag requirement, nor does it present much in the way of problems in parking or backing.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 01/10/13 at 07:15:49

My HF trailer costs $6.00 a year to register, no state inspection required.
If you have a long wheel base car, backing a trailer that small is tuff.
What do you drive, anyway? Will it handle such a setup?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #4 - 01/10/13 at 07:17:12

tizzy out here in the country I see variations of the hitch carrier all the time. Heck.we even get customers that bring their riding mowers to the shop on those things!  Personally I'd be ok hauling feed and small building supplies on one but a bike???? What happens if something does break and you're 100 miles from home?

I'll stand with JOG on this one....Get a trailer kit or even rent a trailer. One less thing to worry about while you're on the road.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/10/13 at 07:42:03

I don't own a trailer hitch hauler - and I have never used one.  I do have trailers and use them.  For years I have loaded up my Trials bike and it loads easily - I can even do it without a ramp by just lifting the front of the bike up and placing that tire on the trailer, then pushing the bike forward and lifting the back of the bike up on th trailer.....it weighs 165 pounds.

When I first loaded the 350 pound Savage onto a trailer......I was really surprised how much more work it was.  The Savage weighs twice what my trials bike does.....and it requires a lot more strength and definitely requires a ramp.  I found out that the ground clearance of the Savage also caused a problem - as the normal length trailer ramp would not work on flat ground - the bottom of the frame and engine hit the angle point of the ramp.  I had to back my trailer up to my porch and load the Savage from the porch.  The reason I am bringing this up is that if you are using an SUV or truck with a high hitch, it may be difficult to load the Savage up a steep ramp - and the bottom of the frame may hit the loading ramp.  The Cruiser bikes have much less ground clearance than the dual sports or dirt bikes.

Savage on Cheng Shin Harbor Freight style 40"x48" trailer.

IMG_0594.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 01/10/13 at 07:48:28

I'll try to get some pics of the set up we have. Bumper mounted bike rack for the motorhome. It's all made out of structural grade steel. But if you have a modern vehicle it won't work...

Buy a mini truck. Savage fits in my 108" wheel base Ranger if the tailgate is left open.

Or buy a mower trailer with the expanded mesh floor/load gate. Drop the gate, pull the front pin, deck tilts for loading. No hanging up like you get with a standard bike ramp.

What's this about licensing a trailer? Here you don't need a plate or lights...  Shocked

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 01/10/13 at 07:53:08

WD wrote on 01/10/13 at 07:48:28:
I'll try to get some pics of the set up we have. Bumper mounted bike rack for the motorhome. It's all made out of structural grade steel. But if you have a modern vehicle it won't work...

Buy a mini truck. Savage fits in my 108" wheel base Ranger if the tailgate is left open.

Or buy a mower trailer with the expanded mesh floor/load gate. Drop the gate, pull the front pin, deck tilts for loading. No hanging up like you get with a standard bike ramp.

What's this about licensing a trailer? Here you don't need a plate or lights...  Shocked

WD many states now require licensing of trailers. I live in Kentucky but go across the river into Indiana a good bit and always catch flack for no plates! It's just another revenue gathering gimmick.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 01/10/13 at 08:05:32

I need them if I tow into MS with a TN tagged tow rig, but not if I take a vehicle w/MS plates. But I can get popped by TN for no trailer plate with a MS tow rig...

There's a reason I have 5 pickups big enough to hold motorcycles...  Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/10/13 at 08:08:56

WD wrote on 01/10/13 at 07:48:28:

Kentucky does not require plates bn a trailer - but you can register your trailer if you want to.  I have been stopped in Ohio for not having trailer plates....and sometimes it goes well....sometimes it doesn't.  The first time I was stopped the OH Highway patrol office said.....I stopped you for not having trailer plates.....but since you are from Kentucky you don't need them.  The second fellow from Ohio told me he stopped me for not having plates, and I explained I was from Kentucky....to which he responded......You are not in Kentucky you are in Ohio.  I thought about telling him that Kentucky doesn't require a license plate on the front of my car, and I don't stop at the Ohio state line and bolt on a front license plate whenver I leave Kentucky....but I just kept my big mouth shut and he gave me a warning.  On my enclosed trailer that I use when traveling longer distances - I got a KY trailer plate just to avoid confrontation.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 01/10/13 at 08:11:32

Must

Bow Down & Comply

Must avoid confrontation from the ignorant.

Suxdontit?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 01/10/13 at 08:49:46

1 thing about hitch mount rails is there is no other support, so it'll rock.

If this were for a truck, I'd mount 2x2 tube to the bed for extra tie points.
strap each tire to the bottom rail and the upper bar.  that'll solve the rocking, plus provide extra support during heavy bumps.

A car or SUV, can't do this so I wouldn't.

I have a hitch mount tow bar that works ok, don't like how much the savage leans in turns though.

WWW   IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/10/13 at 09:28:22

I made one out of steel. It held up the Savage just fine but I wouldn't want to risk the C50 on it.
It does rock a little (front to back of the bike) but with a canyon dancer bar it wouldn't rock side to side (fall off the back)

Where do you live? I could post pictures if you're far away? I need to get out to the garage for some pictures soon anyway.
I could be interested in parting ways with it. I'd rather have a trailer for my C50.

--Steve

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 01/10/13 at 09:37:14

Rules on trailers can get bizarre. Here in Nebraska a pickup pulling a trailer is required to stop at weigh stations - except for recreational vehicles (campers). I asked, and was told that a boat on a trailer is a recreational vehicle and doesn't have to stop. But a motorcycle trailer with  a motorcycle isn't an RV, so has to stop. A car pulling the same bike trailer doesn't have to stop. By the way, trailers are titled, registered, and tagged here. There is no state inspection for anything until you get into commercial vehicles.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 01/10/13 at 14:45:28

Yep, Charon,, I read that twice & it was bizarre both times.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:26:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle carrier

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.