Send Topic Print
Ryca linkage problems (Read 197 times)
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ryca linkage problems
01/09/13 at 08:09:48

Howdy y'all, I am having problems with the decompression rods and rear brake rods bending on the ryca kit, I even snapped the decompression rod attempting to start the bike. I was wondering if this is common or am I just ass backwards on something. I have fabricated all new rods out of regular steel instead of stainless and they still have a little bend in the thread area. Thanks for any idea's

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Ryca linkage problems
Reply #1 - 01/09/13 at 08:23:09

If your rod is bent at or near a threaded area, you have a recipe for failure.

WWW   IP Logged
jvdb
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/09/13 at 09:09:14

I got one of these:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338020228

Honestly the Ryca decompression pedal is a cool idea and I like the re-use of parts, but I prefer more simple and less weight. Doesn't get much more simple than a thumb lever.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #3 - 01/09/13 at 10:31:34

If you snapped the decompression rod, you had it adjusted wrong.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/10/13 at 07:05:26

I just saw on RYCA's website that their new models; the Scrambler and the Standard are coming with a manual compression release lever that looks like the one Aaron was making. If you can't get ahold of him, you could talk to the RYCA guys about their lever.
I didn't see it listed separately on their site as of yet, but I'm sure they would sell you one, possibly even give you one to replace your linkage.
I personally think it's a much simpler solution than the whole linkage set up they created; although I admire their creativity.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 01/10/13 at 09:31:38

First let me say I don't believe there is any single "correct" answer to this issue.  Each owner needs to decide what works best for them.

The orginal RYCA design of compression release was a unique solution that allowed the decompression release to be operated with the clutch safety switch intact - you could operate the clutch with your left hand the compression release with your left foot while starting the bike in gear.

The new RYCA hand lever will require you to have a free left hand to operate the compression release - so you will always have to be in neutral when you want to start the bike and operate the compression release.  If you are in gear and stall the bike at a stop......you have to decide if you are going to just pull in the clutch and try to start it without the compresson release - or - do you take the time to find neutral and put your left hand on the compression release?

I am planning on mounting a decompresson lever that can be accessed while your hand is on the clutch lever.  Several brands of dual sport bikes have "hot start" levers that could be used.  Her is a photo of one:

KGrHqVHJDkFCroBYQlfBQUPPFit60_1.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 01/10/13 at 16:59:58

The RYCA system works fine, but I will admit it does take quite a bit of fiddling and fine adjustment to get it working properly.

See  reply #161 in the Double RYCA Build thread.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/10/13 at 18:01:50

I went to school with a guy who was always focused on simplicity. His name was Italian, I think,, Ismore', Lester Ismore'.. He appreciated simplicity. Never built any kind of Rube Goldberg Machine to accomplish anything,
Ive always kinda laffed at the world finally agreeing with Les Ismore'.
I wonder what he thinks when he hears Less Is More..

The elegance of simplicity can sometimes be difficult to obtain by the first builder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 01/11/13 at 01:14:52

Gyrobob wrote on 01/10/13 at 16:59:58:

"How hard is it?" - "It's easy"

Exactly. If someone was able to break the linkage when it only takes 2 fingers to actuate...
User error as usual.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 01/11/13 at 13:51:14

Cavi Mike wrote on 01/11/13 at 01:14:52:
Gyrobob wrote on 01/10/13 at 16:59:58:

"How hard is it?" - "It's easy"

Exactly. If someone was able to break the linkage when it only takes 2 fingers to actuate...
User error as usual.

I'm not sure what your point is, but the video was intended to show how the springs in the valve lifter were plenty strong enough to let the valve seat on its own.

If the point is that you could break the linkage by stomping on it with your size 15 engineer boots, I'm sure you could do that.  You could also stomp, to the point of breakage, the rearsets RYCA sends.

I'm not defending or arguing anything,.. I just wanted to point out that the funky RYCA exhaust valve lifting system works okay.  It sheds a few pounds and starts a lot of conversations.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 01/11/13 at 14:03:37

My comment wasn't towards you, it was towards the original poster who is "having problems" and "even snapped the decompression rod" trying to start the bike. Your video just cemented my previous statement.

IP Logged
skelly15
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/11/13 at 19:55:40

I just made all new linkages in regular steel and made a plate to stop the decompression lever before it gets in a bind. And I don't know about y'all but when I start my bike I'm not going to be bending down and pushing with my fingers.

IP Logged
Rocket
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 01/17/13 at 10:30:47

I could never get the Ryac compression rod system working well.  I bought the thumb activated unit that Aaron sells for about $20 and it works very well.  Much more positive indication that you've compressed the valve, plus you shed some weight  (not much)

IP Logged
David
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/03/13 at 21:15:25

I built a RYCA kit over here in OZ - 86 model did not have clutch lever switch. Purchased a manual lever for the handlebar from Ebay and made a new cable using an old Savage clutch cable. had to make a bracket using a 6mm angle bracket from your equivalent of Home Depot which mounted on the 2  x  6mm fram mounts for the horn. Works beautifully - can supply details if required

« Last Edit: 02/04/13 at 15:11:05 by David »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 15:23:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca linkage problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.