Ride in rain or cold? (Read 469 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Re: Ride in rain or cold?
Reply #30 - 01/22/13 at 06:30:34

28F this AM ride was good - tomorrow 18F we'll see - only 5 miles I should make it ok.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #31 - 01/23/13 at 15:47:04

Currently around 2f deg here. Not this puppy. Shocked

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #32 - 01/24/13 at 19:53:01

Freezing rain in SLC this morning. Coats every surface in a thin layer of super slippery ice. I guess it's common in other parts of the country, but we've never seen anything like it. There's no way in Hell you'd catch me riding in it, but I did see a guy on a sportbike on the way to work. Every vehicle around him was sliding all over the place, but he (or she) was just toodeling down the road like it was nothin'.  Wasn't sure if I should be impressed or worried.  Undecided

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 01/27/13 at 00:44:48

I have two riding buddies that ride all year long. The other day both of them went down in separate accidents riding in freezing weather and icy streets. One on a 1200 BMW was not hurt. The bike was not quite so lucky. But he did loose his $800 coat and riding pants sliding 150 ft down the road into oncoming traffic.Fortuantly it was early and no cars. The second friend slid into a curb and was throw on to a curb where it broke 7 ribs and injured his spleen. The same guy fell asleep on his bike 4 years ago and broke his back, ankle, wrist, some broken ribs and they had to remove one rib and fractured his neck. This was his second warning and I bet he won't get a third. When it rains or snowing, take the car or stay home. On wet roads your just asking for it.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #34 - 01/27/13 at 10:47:40

Stinger, I think you have a perception that does not lend itself to every rider. I agree w/ ice. I put my bike away for 3 weeks as the temp stayed low all day and night long, leading to ice in the shade, etc. Ice without the proper tires is almost impossible to safely ride. As to snow and rain, I have done both, rain, a lot....you just have to ride smart. Don't ride as perfect conditions, dial it back, slow down, keep your vertical center of gravity true and the torque to the rear wheel under control, good gear, and I have no problem. I tell you what, sand,dirt, etc, pose a much greater risk in perfect weather if you ask me, it has caught me a few times as I was looking much further through the turn, and my speed, lean, etc was matched to a dry perfect condition....
I'll ride again this week to work, in rain, I feel safe, just cautious

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Doug B

I am, therefore I
think

Kennewick, WA
Reply #35 - 01/27/13 at 11:43:42

I can recall pulling sleds on the road with our IT and YZ Yamahas back in 78-79   in below freezing temps   The good old days   The mid and late 70's were a magical time for kids/dirt bikes  and seemingly  adults/road bikes  there seemed to be more interest in motorcycles during that era   Now - I ride for the sheer joy of it/not transportation

IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #36 - 01/27/13 at 17:55:37

I grew up here in the desert, so rain is precious.  I frequently go out and ride in the rain. You ride, you get wet, you dry out.

IP Logged
gone fishing

Reply #37 - 02/08/13 at 06:38:34

gone fishing

« Last Edit: 02/26/13 at 17:03:48 by gone fishing »  

IP Logged
223fan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Crawley   WV
Reply #38 - 02/10/13 at 06:09:10

I ride in the rain I always have my rain gear with me. I keep it in a small material igloo cooler . I will ride my bike with temps as low as 20  degrees as long as the roads are good and dry , but if it's raining and cooler than the  mid 40's  or they are calling for rain with temps below the mid 40's , bike stay's home.

IP Logged
MarcosS40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Central PA.
Reply #39 - 02/10/13 at 07:33:28

Reality check from N. Central PA. - Just checked TWC and it's 17* out right now. As I look out the window at my bike sitting under it's cover, buried up to it's axles in snow, I can only dream of getting on it and riding.  The alley leading to my parking area is sheer ice.  Shocked

Mid fifties is my low limit. I don't like to ride in the cold or rain and will not if I have a choice. If I get caught in the rain, I'll finish the ride.    (btw, I'm 57.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 09:21:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ride in rain or cold?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.