Ride in rain or cold? (Read 469 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Ride in rain or cold?
Reply #15 - 01/10/13 at 11:15:45

Not often below 40 degrees anymore, also being in my 60's.  Once you have hit black ice, its a memory that keeps itself fresh in my old and addled mind. Lips Sealed

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #16 - 01/10/13 at 19:37:07

I "was" riding in snow and rain, BUT, after last week, almost going down in hard ice, and watching other bikers tumble in it, and then telling my wife about it ( I was bragging I guess that the Harley boys can't touch me  Cheesy ) she forbade me from riding under 40 degrees....
But she is right, I'll be 60 this Tuesday, a fall at my age could have consequences I'm not willing to pay. Living in the Pacific Northwest rain is my normal riding condition  Kiss  you just ride accordingly and have good waterproof gear.
I use a full face helmet as those drops do sting, and I use a product called raincoat, I get it from an aviation supplier...its made for helicopters, it really works well, it beads up and slides right off....love it, and anti fogging stuff on the inside keeps the nostril flare at bay too...

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #17 - 01/10/13 at 20:25:33

I use insulated coveralls and ride if I have a destination in mind. I am good for 40 miles at 40 degrees. I also have a good hunting quality "sleeve" that works as a 'boggan or a neck warmer. Keeps wind off my neck. Got caught in rain after not being able to ride for a couple of months. Took a chance and lost/won. 25 miles in rain was worth it.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
HoustonBussa
YaBB Newbies

If it ain't fun I
ain't doing it
-SYCKK Life

SW Houston
Reply #18 - 01/11/13 at 02:06:51

I have in the low 20's (F). Great when I was 16.. Now days I'll avoid it.

If I get caught in the rain, I won't stop unless it's too bad.  But I do try to plan for rains if I'm going to spend most of my time in town like going to work or places I want to be dry at.

WWW   IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #19 - 01/11/13 at 03:45:38

Definitely too cold here in Ohio at the moment anyway.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #20 - 01/11/13 at 05:59:42

BOBD wrote on 01/11/13 at 03:45:38:
Definitely too cold here in Ohio at the moment anyway.

PFFFT.WIMP...........Just kidding Wink

I ride all year 'round.When I was in Dallas,my '86 was my only transportation.And it Does get cold in Dallas.19 degrees the morning I hit black ice and went down.2 years ago I rode to the local HD shop,they have a contest every January to ride your bike in.Called the Winter Warrior.I had slush and icicles on my bike when I got there.12 degrees that day.Last year,mid 60s.Tomorrow 60....I'm there.I don't intentionally go in the rain unless it's my only transportation,but I've gotten caught in it.

« Last Edit: 01/14/13 at 12:05:16 by Demin »  

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #21 - 01/12/13 at 15:57:06

I don't intensionally set out to ride in the rain. However here in
the PNW, weather can change every 5 mins or less.
I have also been caught off guard and come out in the a.m. after
working all night to ice on my windshield and seat.
Then their is the fog. Omg, a few mornings this pass fall it was so
foggy I could hardly see in front of me. The shield kept fogging up
and I had to keep swipping my sheld to allow me to be able to see
what little I could.
That was actually scary and yet the vehicle behind me gave me
plenty of space as in no tailgaiting.
My cut off temp is usually 40 degrees. Then again as I stated I have
been caught off guard a few times.
I am starting to get itchy and want to ride as has been awhile and then again with the temps barely above freezing during the day and getting down to the 20's and even the teens this evening, I will wait it out.
Smiley kim

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #22 - 01/14/13 at 18:54:01

Neither cold, rain or cold rain bothered me much when I didn't have a choice. But when I can choose, I choose neither.

I like to ride when it's 50 degrees or warmer and dry. Got the gear and always prepared for less than favorable conditions.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #23 - 01/14/13 at 23:51:10

not below 40f unless its the toy run
rain if i get caught in it,happens here in the mountains,snow in summer happens too
high winds im headin for the barn been blowed into the wrong lane b4 was not a clean seat experience

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #24 - 01/15/13 at 06:37:24

12Bravo wrote on 01/09/13 at 05:43:10:
I ride year round. Hail, lightening, monsoon, snow and ice will keep me off the road. As far as temps, as long as I can bundle up enough to stay warm and still swing my leg over the bike, I'll ride.

Ditto that.

I commute a good 20 miles/day in downtown Roma, with cobbled streets, streetcar rails and white plastic pedestrian crossings... the lot !

Riding in July is like July in Miami, 35°C+ and 80% humidity, yet I insist on a FF helmet for safety.

Riding in January is like January in NYC or San Francisco (well... maybe more like San Francisco)
this morning it was an acceptable 12°C and light drizzle, two days ago it was 3°C and fog so thick I couldn't see my arms outstretched  Tongue
last December it was a few degrees below freezing.

February 2012 we had a surprise snowstorm that left quite a few inches of snow for the entire weekend,
and about half the commuters had to leave their cars at work or stranded in the streets and walk their way home.
I left my bike (you can't ride in 6" snow!) and walked the 10 miles home.
Climbed on a bus only the last two miles because it was less than 1"snow, quite mushy, but the city center was a whiteout!
(psycologically speaking... imagine 6" snow in Los Angeles...)

Else, my philosophy is

Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 01/15/13 at 09:12:15

If it is above 10F I'll go out and play, but serious riding, forget it. I've got an aircooled VW (same orange as the bike) for bad weather if I can't stomach driving a fuel infested liquid cooled mini truck with functional heater...

Cold isn't a big deal, but high heat plus high humidity? My bikes are parked in the summer in Dixie, you can only undress so far and still ride safely... Wink

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #26 - 01/16/13 at 00:42:33

It was a close miss this morning...

Rained all yesterday afternoon (got home wet, have a good weatherproof riding jacket but had no rain trousers  Tongue) rained hard all night, rained even harder very early in the morning.
Roads were waterlogged.

Donned rain gear, FF helmet, pulled out the BMW (I will not ride the Savage in the rain if I can help it, and the Beemer has a better frame and ABS!)

My morning commute consists of several miles of local neighborhood traffic, a few miles of 4-laner and more miles of downtown traffic.
Don't let the terms "neighborhood" and "downtown" fool you, Rome is NOT Manhattan !

Starting from home, these are my first few miles... it was pouring this morning...

I then climbed onto the 4-lane bypass...

And finally made my way through downtown Roma

40 minutes for a mere 10 miles... it could have been worse ! (it snowed in the outskirts... Undecided)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
PiaFea

Against the Wind !

Houston, Texas - USA
Reply #27 - 01/17/13 at 14:15:37

Only rain and sleek will keep me off my bike!
Rain, because I do not want to clean my bike after a wet ride.
Sleek, because I have not much control when riding.
Cold, I can bundle up and still ride in the cold air. BTW, I prefer to ride cool or cold better than hot in the Texas sizzling sun!!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #28 - 01/17/13 at 16:25:51

Maurizio,
You are a better rider and braver man than me. My commute, rain, snow, cold, or hot is about 15 feet, the length of the hallway to my home office.

Ride safe and good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #29 - 01/21/13 at 16:43:13

When I was younger and living on LongIsland, NY I used to ride in just about any weather except a few days after it snowed, that's when I would bite the bullet and take the bus to work since the ice and slush was just too bad.....UGG 45 minute bus ride used to sux.  Now I'm a fair weather rider, typically above freezing and try to stay out of downpours. Not too much snow to worry about in N.C. now   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 09:38:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ride in rain or cold?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.