Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hi Everyone.  First post, which is also a question (Read 382 times)
dadface
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, NM
Hi Everyone.  First post, which is also a question
01/07/13 at 14:55:41

Hi everyone,

My name is Matt, and I have recently acquired a 1988 Suzuki Savage!!
The folks that I bought it from said it needed a new "starter gear".  In my infinite wisdom, I thought that meant starter motor.  NOT SO!!  I am having to replace the single sprocket that connects directly to the starter motor, the intermediate sprocket with two sets of teeth (one of which is the approximate radius of the aforementioned gear, the second of which is much smaller).  these two gears are nicely photographed on an earlier post.  The third and final part needing replacement is the large sprocket that rests behind the magnet and I think it is the starter clutch???

In any case, I have the parts in hand, and cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the magnet off such that I can replace the large starter clutch gear.  Here are some thoughts...

1. Start the destruction!! Grin  There is a large bolt that nests in a larger bolt in the center of the assembly that I can see from the outside.   This connects to the crankshaft.  My gut feeling is removing this bolt will not really accomplish my goal.

2.  There are six allen head bolts that connect the large magnet to something...they are of a seemingly odd size, but if I were to remobe these, would I be able to remove the magnet and access the sprocket behind it?

Traditionally, I generally use strategy one and start tearing stuff apart and let god sort em out, but I have just turned 30, and, in the interest of pretending to have some semblance of maturity/patience, decided that a new approach (educate myself before breaking more stuff/creating more work for myself)  might be appropriate.

Thanks all in advance and looking forward to being a part of this wonderful forum!!

Cheers and Best Regards,
Matt

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Hi Everyone.  First post, which is also a ques
Reply #1 - 01/07/13 at 19:35:32

dadf,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new (to you) bike....

While there are scads of people here who could answer your specific question, I fear that you would then have "a little knowledge," which, of course, can be very dangerous.

May I suggest that you invest in a service manual before diving into this job?  I'm sure that you'll still have questions, but we'd feel better about answering same if we were relatively sure we would not be contributing to possible mayhem.....

Cheers!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #2 - 01/07/13 at 19:41:22

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 01/07/13 at 20:33:39

You need a tool to remove the rotor.

those 6 bolts hold the starter gear to the backside, so removing them will do nothing.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 01/07/13 at 20:56:10

Later model starters had something which prevented a breakage of the starter clutch thingy, if the engine backfired during start up. Hope you have one of those and there should be plenty of people who can give accurate guidance on this point.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
dadface
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, NM
Reply #5 - 01/08/13 at 07:41:00

Hi all,

Thanks for the link to downloadable service manual.  That will most certainly come in handy!!  A little more background..  I like to buy old barn bikes and fix them up to ride for a while and resell for break even/small profit, that way I can ride for (pretty much) free and have a new bike every year or so.  Mostly, I have dealt with smaller twins (400ish cc).  This is my first 650 and my first single, so i'm really excited to get it moving!!

After some amount of research, I (as Verslagen states) need a magneto puller.  I found one for $40 on pitposse.   Anyone have experience w/ these guys?  I would just have the theiving dealer pull it for me, but the closest one is 150 miles away.....cheaper to buy the tools myself.

In order to use this tool, I have to remove the bolt that is in the front of the assembly (method #1 above)...have tried anti-seize and a breaker bar.  That fu@#er is on there!!  Do you guys think using a torch and applying heat will hurt anything in the starter clutch and/or any other tips to get that little guy to break loose?

Thanks for all of the helpful advice!!  My eventual goal is to do a RYCA/semi RYCA conversion to this bike, so I am sure that I will need some more help haha!

@ Verslagen....do you still make the cam chain tension devices,  I would very much like to have one of those brilliant little things!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/08/13 at 08:55:32

Usually, that only torqued on.  but the PO may have popped it loose turning it to TDC and got tired of that and used locktite.  I'd apply heat and pen oil.  BTW it goes CCW to loosen... i think.   Huh

yes, still making them, some day I'll get caught up too.

see the marketplace, follow the links and instructions.

WWW   IP Logged
dadface
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, NM
Reply #7 - 01/08/13 at 09:17:08

I would like to go ahead and add myself to your list if possible.  The email link isn't working on this cpu (i'm at work), and I cannot yet pm.  Would you mind pm-ing me your email address, and I will send you an email with my contact info and the information that you request on your store page.

Thanks!!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 01/09/13 at 12:59:23

Welcome!  And best of luck getting it all sorted out   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
dadface
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, NM
Reply #9 - 01/15/13 at 09:53:40

Thanks!!

So I got the flywheel puller in yesterday and put in all of the new starting system gears, changed the oil/filter, put in a new battery and was ready for the initial (fingers crossed that it will run) cranking of the engine...

and nothing.....  ahh it would have been too easy haha!

a question that I would like to pose is this:

can you all feel the engine turning over when you start your bikes??
I would think that the single big ol' cylinder in these machines would make itself known...(unless the decompression solonoid/switch thingy negates this...)

The reason that I ask is that the starter motor is spinning, but I don't really hear/feel compression notes  from the engine/exhaust...I know that the bike has compression (tested it sort of..).  Is it possible to
install the starter clutch incorrectly such that it does not catch the way it should?? When re-assembling it, it seemed that there was only one way to put it on, but I have been wrong before.... Undecided

And yep, that @#%&ing 17mm bolt is lefty loosy.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/15/13 at 11:42:03

You mighta put it on backwards, not sure.

take the starter out, stick you finger against the gear, it should lock up one way and spin the other.  There's a gear inbetween the idler and the clutch so the idler should spin the same way as the crank... which is CCW as viewed from the left side.

WWW   IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 01/15/13 at 13:05:56

If it's cranking but
Edited:
it's not turning

then you may have positioned the washers incorrectly....
like these starter gear washers...
http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=298925&ca...

I had the same problem on a '96 that I fixed for my friend...the washer was on the wrong gear and it would turn over but not catch...

« Last Edit: 01/15/13 at 14:37:13 by verslagen1 »  

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
dadface
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, NM
Reply #12 - 03/27/13 at 15:52:08

hey all,

sorry, had to go out of town for a coupla/few months for work.  just got back and at it!!   So the starter clutch was backwards...

well darn...

anyway, got that fixed up and pulled off the other side of the crank cover....

darn!!!  time for a verslavy!  ....  @verslagen...(can i get your full contact info (name, home address,city state zip??) cuz i've got a blank to send you in exchange for one of your materpieces....as well as a check for the difference...)

thanks man!!

btw, do any of you guys love (bands) Rush, Tool, Dream Theatre??

AWESOME garage wrenching music....

Cheers and Regards all (and thanks for the help/advice)
--Matt

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 03/27/13 at 16:27:21

Contact Versy here... Wink...

Contacted
I don't know about you guys, but the email button works fine
=v1

« Last Edit: 03/27/13 at 19:36:11 by verslagen1 »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
dadface
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, NM
Reply #14 - 09/25/13 at 17:05:42

Hello again all,

So I got the cam chain tensioner on (thanks verslagen!!), fixed a couple of oil leaks, cleaned the carbs, and tried to start the beast.  no luck.

I checked for spark by placing the plug against the heat sink fins on the block while turning the engine over, and got a negative result.  Bought a new plug.  still no spark.  Replaced the ignition coil.  still negative.  took apart the black tci box and everything in there looks okay.

do you guys have any suggestions on what I should do to get a spark?
I am wondering if it has anything to do with the triple super awesome safety system on these bikes (side stand is in up position for all earlier testing..)?

Thanks!!
Matt

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:44:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hi Everyone.  First post, which is also a question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.