ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: A little plug work
Reply #45 - 09/26/14 at 20:06:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/26/14 at 16:07:46:
How about a pic of that little lathe? Did ya open it up & study it for needing cleaned up castings or lubed better or anything? Ive heard about guys who did some "Fine Tuning" on theirs & got really good results with those HF things.

There's quite a few posts on cleaning them up and aligning them.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #46 - 09/28/14 at 20:52:10

Ver, you have a PM.

I think I'd be a a good candidate to beta test these things.  My OEM plug (which was an old-style plug, my bike being a 2001 - and the plug was not leaking) was removed at 600 miles on the bike and then gooped with ThreeBond 1104 and replaced.  I pulled that plug at 5200 miles (it was not leaking), then reused it after cleaning it up as good as I could (the 1104 was extremely hard to remove).  I gooped it with the 1104 before reinserting.

That time, the plug started leaking after only 100 miles (5300 miles).  I suspect that I probably damaged same in my futile but vigorous efforts to remove all traces of the 1104 from it.  I then swore off of the 1104.  While it worked well, it was just too hard to remove.  In any event, ThreeBond discontinued the 1104 some time ago.

At 5300 miles, I popped a brand new (old-style) plug in there, gooping same with Permatex® Ultra Copper® Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker.

That plug started leaking at 9600 miles (i.e. it lasted 4300 miles).  At 10,100 miles, I replaced it with a new style (solid rubber) plug, gooping it with Permatex® Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing.

Now, with 13,900 miles on the bike (3800 miles on the plug), I've got another oil leak that looks a lot like a head plug leak.  I'm not absolutely certain, as I've not torn into it yet, but my money's on the head plug. :'(

« Last Edit: 10/06/14 at 19:10:25 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #47 - 10/06/14 at 19:21:19

I received Verslagen's head plug today:

(I stole Verslagen's picture).  Ver, you do good work!

Now, I'd like some advice.

When I'm installing said plug (which features two silicone o-rings), should I dress said o-rings with anything?  If nothing else, I'll slather a bit of silicone grease on them (good to 600 deg F), but I'm seriously considering dressing them with Permatex® Ultra Rubber Gasket Sealant & Dressing.

Reason?  I've had good luck using this stuff on lots of rubber gaskets, to include the o-rings that seal the Savage's valve cover inspection caps and also on the bike's camshaft end caps.

Thoughts?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 10/06/14 at 19:36:32

I haven't and I have one for the valve cover too.
That's been on for almost a year too and whereas the other is a stock one... it's taken a set or flattened and the red one hasn't.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 10/07/14 at 04:20:46

To seal.....or not to seal....that is the question.

I don't know that this is a "right" answer.  The stock plug is definitely one that should be sealed....Suzuki has proven that it will leak eventually if you don't seal it.  Verslagen's plug has 2 O-rings that will seal under compression, and in most situations you only need to lubricate the O-ring and it will do the work.  Applying a sealer and gluing it in place will most likely provide a seal as well.....however the O-rings will be locked in place and not doing anything but taking up space once the sealer cures.

Is the top O-ring compressed onto the head when the head cover is bolted on?  If so.....I might put a little sealer on the top O-ring and just lubricate the hole before pushing the plug in....being careful not to get any lube on the top of the hole where the sealer would be.  That way the top O-ring is sealed in place, and the bottom one is free to do the O-ring thing.

It's a tough call.....you are exploring a new era in head plug repair.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #50 - 10/07/14 at 07:51:21

What's the most pressure that they will see?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #51 - 10/07/14 at 13:04:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/07/14 at 07:51:21:

Ever eat a bean burrito?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #52 - 10/07/14 at 13:28:48

Mmmm,, that much, ehh? Im surprised those flimsy head cover bolts keep the thing in at all.. If I eat Navy beans I can get a 2 masted ship up on plane..

Years ago I saw a video of a hung over truck driver who felt so bad he just TOOK an Alka-Seltser. No glass O water to put it in, No water to drink after,, ( Probably a good thing, there) Anyway,, he was just wearing boxer shorts and a tee shirt, standing in the ditch, in pain, leaned over, farting so hard his shorts were flapping.. I went looking and I cant find it.. OHH Id like to see that again.. I laffed so hard tears ran down my leg..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 10/07/14 at 13:43:09

verslagen1 wrote on 10/07/14 at 13:04:53:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/07/14 at 07:51:21:

Ever eat a bean burrito?

They have a Bean and Cheese Burrito at the convenient store next door that is called 'The Bomb"......along with beans it has the "textured vegetable protein" in the ingredients.    It seems like the wrong thing to eat on the nights I work late, and then go to a City Council Meeting! Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #54 - 10/07/14 at 16:00:37

That depends.. IF you want it to be a short meeting,, eat 2.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #55 - 10/07/14 at 17:04:52

Dave wrote on 10/07/14 at 13:43:09:
...   It seems like the wrong thing to eat on the nights I work late, and then go to a City Council Meeting! Shocked  

I  am thinking, it is the  RIGHT   thing to eat !!!!!!!
"Only  the Strong  Survive!"

Grin  Cheesy  Grin  Cheesy  Grin  Cheesy

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #56 - 10/07/14 at 23:07:30

I'll be selling these as soon as I can find someone to make them.
To much work on my little lathe.

WWW   IP Logged
49mack
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 10/08/14 at 04:53:58

Hmmm . . . my '96 has about 22,000 miles and uses a 1/2 quart of oil every 2,000 miles. I don't think the previous owner was a maintenance freak. I wonder if that plug could be my source of oil loss. Where would I find info on a leakdown test?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #58 - 10/08/14 at 05:06:34

49mack wrote on 10/08/14 at 04:53:58:
Hmmm . . . my '96 has about 22,000 miles and uses a 1/2 quart of oil every 2,000 miles. I don't think the previous owner was a maintenance freak. I wonder if that plug could be my source of oil loss. Where would I find info on a leakdown test?

If that plug is leaking...you know it as the oil drips down the right front side of the cylinder head and gets blown all over the engine.

photo_13_001.jpg

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #59 - 10/08/14 at 08:47:13

49mack wrote on 10/08/14 at 04:53:58:

What oil you running? How much of that 2,000 miles is 65 Mph or more?
And,if you haven't,it's time to look at the chain.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:18:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A little plug work

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.