IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: A little plug work
Reply #16 - 01/10/13 at 05:40:25

I think I could build that if I had a good drill press.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 01/10/13 at 12:00:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/10/13 at 05:40:25:
I think I could build that if I had a good drill press.,

Can you chuck a 1" bar stock?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 01/10/13 at 14:42:15

Yep.I'd drill & tap & run a bolt in it, build a "tail stock" for the bottom end , fake up a "tool stand" & get some tool steel & shape it up to hold an O-ring, Yea, gimme a late 60's Craftsman 3/4 horse drill press with the T'Bolt plate & I could do that. FWIW, for practicality's sake, time required to build up the setup I could probably get a machinist to do it on his lunch break for $20.00 & a 12 pack,, & Id be ahead. But, in a pinch, I do believe I could make that happen.,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #19 - 01/10/13 at 18:39:28

I was thinking a feller could do the same thing with a wood lathe and a piece of Osage Orange(aka hedge orange or hedge apple). That stuff is like iron and lasts forever. Just ask anyone that's tried to cut the stuff. One cut with a chainsaw and the chain is already dull!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 12/16/13 at 10:50:42

Update to a long idle thread.

1st prototype using standard o-ring material initially sealed well and lasted about 10 months before it started leaking.

Since the original design wasn't made to my specifications I was limited to using only 1 o-ring.  And because that did work w/out issue till the o-ring let go, I'm revising the design to be a single o-ring.

I have hi-temp O-rings on order and will replace it with the new design over x-mas.

One concern I have, And I'm sure if it has any impact.  Having had several had several of these plugs in my hands and seeing the wear patterns they caused on the cover... when loose these things rattle.  As I'm replacing a rubber over steel plug with one of entirely aluminum... I'm afraid of precisely fitting the plug between the cover and head.  I'm thinking of undersizing the head and providing a spring or another o-ring to keep the plug seated and prevent extra wear on the critical o-ring.

Whatta you guys think?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 12/16/13 at 11:09:40

I would think that as the original plug get loose - the huffing of the engine pulses is what is causing the movement.  If you had a spring or rubber spacer that compresses the plug into place slightly by resting against the head cover.....the plug would not move.

Instead of a solid plug that uses an O-ring or two......what about a plug that has a top and bottom connected by a threaded screw, and it has a rubber seal in between. You install the plug, and then tighten the screw to compress the rubber seal into place?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 12/16/13 at 13:51:48

Probably could be done.
If you could tighten it from below with a flex drive, would solve a lot of issues.  But over tightening could cause failure.  Loosening from vibes or thermal cycling.  Having to apply locktite (heat sensitive).  Or simply the same issue of burnt rubber.
but, if tightened from above, would limit it to having to remove the cover to get access.  Why bother.

I'm hoping the new O-rings will solve the longevity issue, and in working out your idea, I think I solved mine.

WWW   IP Logged
SimeonC

Tha-Tha-Tha
Thumper!!

Alabama
Reply #23 - 12/18/13 at 16:09:04

Yesss I have been having plug problems here lately this would be a great solution to my problem I hoping it goes into production soon.... Shocked

ALL GAS EYELID-FLIPPER!!
GO-BABY-GO!!
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #24 - 12/19/13 at 07:16:36

I would think using just 1 O-ring would allow the plug to vibrate pivoting around that O-ring.  Might try a slightly longer plug with 2 or 3 O-rings to stabilize the vibrations as well as seal.  If I had to guess, that's why Suzuki's entire plug was covered in rubber.

I'm not an engineer; I'm just a volunteer in a soup kitchen serving food for thought. Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 12/19/13 at 12:10:27

I'm going to put a second o-ring under the head of the plug.
It'll act as a seal and provide the tolerance take up that's needed.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 12/20/13 at 11:20:47

ZAR, you got mail.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 12/20/13 at 11:30:11

Versy:

I saw that you are going to use a different O-ring that can handle the heat better....but just so others understand that not all store bought O-rings are equal.  Most store bought O-rings are Buna-N....and are only good up to 212 degrees and not able to tolerate cylinder head temperatures.

This store offers Viton, Teflon and Silicone O-rings that are good to 400 or 450 degrees.....about 100 more than the Savage cylinder head sees.

http://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=367&zenid=c6df7e...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #28 - 12/20/13 at 11:49:07

How bout posting the specs on that plug so someone with a mill/lathe could fashion up a few?
The wife's started leaking last month, I've tightened the nuts fore and aft but it is still seeping, so plug change is in order.
I live near a few military bases and lots of gearheads in the shop I used to work in was an aircraft engine shop.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #29 - 12/20/13 at 13:53:54

I will go with the idea I mentioned before and that is to just thread the hole and put in a threaded plug and thread tape/anti-seize/whatever and let the cover keep it from backing out far enough to leak.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:18:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A little plug work

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.