YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
something's a miss
01/07/13 at 11:50:07

noticeable at idle, every once in a while, for as long as I can remember.

Yesterday, I pulled the sparkplug lead off only find it falling apart.

A little slug of metal hit the thankfully clean floor.
and the spring clip still attached to ol' sparky.

dropped the slug back in, and the clip, screwed it up tight, no more miss.

WWW   IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Re: something's a miss
Reply #1 - 01/07/13 at 12:14:54

Thank Heavens for a clean floor!

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 01/07/13 at 14:44:11

That's nothing.  Wait until your bike starts missing and then one day quits because the loose spark plug blew out of it's hole and is hanging in the air by its wire.

Don't ask how I know.  A Ducati single back in the 70's.  It really makes you look and feel dumb.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 01/07/13 at 17:45:47

bobert_FSO wrote on 01/07/13 at 14:44:11:
That's nothing.  Wait until your bike starts missing and then one day quits because the loose spark plug blew out of it's hole and is hanging in the air by its wire.

Don't ask how I know.  A Ducati single back in the 70's.  It really makes you look and feel dumb.

I had that happen to my 1966 VW beetle....but just one cylinder.
pop.pop.pop.woosh.pop.pop.pop.woosh.pop.pop.pop.woosh all the way to my mechanic friends shop where he installed a new threaded insert to replace the missing threads.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 01/07/13 at 19:39:33

bobert_FSO wrote on 01/07/13 at 14:44:11:

Saw that happen to a bud's Suzuki Titan 500 back in the '70's.  That two-stroke was a twin.....I forget if it was still able to run after one cylinder's plug backed out.  In any event, I remember that it was funny at the time.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 01/07/13 at 21:21:42

Those are the things that can whip an otherwise competent mechanic. Good catch.
Dave, I head a 1965 Ford 390 that would loosen every plug in it if you waited long enough. Never thought to change brands of plugs. Just kept 'em tight as needed.  Wink BTW, I always work on a cool engine when removing the plug and use anti-sieze.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 01/07/13 at 22:11:14

About once a year Lisa's Subaru will spit out a plug... and it's a Made in Japan car...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 01/07/13 at 22:25:51

WD wrote on 01/07/13 at 22:11:14:
About once a year Lisa's Subaru will spit out a plug... and it's a Made in Japan car...

Now if the Ford's Trition Motors just had that issue, instead of wanting to hold onto them so tight that the plugs break in such a weird way that you need a special tool to remove them.  I guess I'm lucky in a way since my "I'll be nice here" bozo of a father, took my Mom's SUV from me after she passed. If he hadn't I would most likely have had to be dealing with that issue of broken plugs on her expedition with the 5.4L engine.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #8 - 01/07/13 at 22:38:46

I heard that the Tritons have to be taken to a dealer and run with a special additive in the oil or gas to allow the plugs to be removed. The word is that several good 'ol boys who are otherwise good mechanics are breaking plugs off because of this little known procedure. Can anyone verify or disprove this? I was told this by my brother, who owns an F-150 4x4.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 01/07/13 at 22:52:16

Boofer wrote on 01/07/13 at 22:38:46:
I heard that the Tritons have to be taken to a dealer and run with a special additive in the oil or gas to allow the plugs to be removed. The word is that several good 'ol boys who are otherwise good mechanics are breaking plugs off because of this little known procedure. Can anyone verify or disprove this? I was told this by my brother, who owns an F-150 4x4.  Smiley

They are now running a special cleaning fluid through the engine, by-passing the fuel system to help with the issue, but it's not a guarantee to keep them from breaking off, but it does help. They still tell you upfront that even if you opt for the service that costs like $1K total for the tune up with the special cleaning done to help minimize the chance of the plugs breaking, that it will be an additional $80 per plug that breaks off, on top of the $1K price for the tune up.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 01/07/13 at 23:41:02

1K for a tune-up!!!!...  Shocked...

I was talking to a mechanic friend, years ago,.. about the Cadillac... 100k mile maintenance interval,.. and he said "Sure, if you want yer' plugs fused into the block"

Don't know if that's true,.. I'd never have the guts to go 100k without checking...
(not that I'll ever own a Caddy, anyway)... Grin...

That's why I love my Geo Metro,.. and my Savage...
Old school...
You can see the engine... and you can work on it in  yer' driveway...

Once I can't fix it myself,... I want electric or air powered Huh...
This old dog, can't learn new tricks... Tricks are for kids...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #11 - 01/08/13 at 03:02:26

Boofer wrote on 01/07/13 at 22:38:46:

We have an '00 Expedition with the 4.6 Triton in it.  I have not had any trouble changing the plugs, cold engine and never seize on them.  We did have a couple of the coil over plugs go bad, they do not like to be wet at all.  Wife had a plug go bad when she took some ladies from work to a workshop or something out in the Greensboro area.  Truck started missing, other ladies freaked out, wife went to some chain garage and had it checked.  Told her it was one of the far back plugs, she told them to change it and she came home.  Other ladies could not believe she did not call me, but Mrs. asked what I could do, I was home and this needed fixing. Gotta love a gal that can get things done.

I looked at a newer F-150 with the 5.something Triton, buddy said to steer clear.  They blew the plugs out of the engine while driving.  

Momma has a 97 Grand Marquis that will loosen a plug every so often.

Sorry to get to rambling.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 01/08/13 at 03:21:24

I have a super crew 05 150 that was running rough.....I took it in and said I don't believe plugs can last 100,000 miles. They broke off a few, changed them all, charged me like a grand. A week later it threw its timing chain.....
I had complained of intermittent noise for years in the motor, they said it was normal....come to find out the TC had self adjusting tensions and it appears they don't always adjust. I had only 80 thousand miles on the motor and had just slipped past 5 years by a few months. I asked Ford to stand by there motor, they told me to suck eggs. It's my last ever Ford.....

JUNK......

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 01/08/13 at 08:47:59

Ford's only good engines are the Windsor small blocks, FE big blocks and the EARLY 429/460 thick casting S series blocks.

I drive a 94 Ranger with that goofy twin ignition 2.3L SOHC 4 banger. That you are supposed to pull the intake off to change the driver's side spark plugs. I figured out how to change them w/o that headache, but it's time consuming... I think I found a rebuildable 1940s flathead 4 down in the creek bed last weekend, wonder if it will bolt in... same displacement... Have to chain it out of the creek and see what is left of it.

Everybody keeps telling me to put a 440 and slush-o-matic in my 49 pickup... I kinda like the flathead 6 and the 3 spd it has now, easy to work on.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 01/08/13 at 09:03:45

My 300 CID 6 banger doesnt Have a chain,,

While we're talking old motors, tho,, It Is starting to have some rattling until its well warmed up. IM thinking lifters? Should I be concerned?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:23:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › something's a miss

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.