Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Very scary and odd..... (Read 190 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Very scary and odd.....
01/06/13 at 10:34:51

And I haven't ridden since.

Last week I told of some poor riding weather, like ice, and watching bikes slip right out from under the riders....I lucked out, and find some comfort that I was able to survive the conditions with my very limited experience of barely over a years riding time. But that wasn't the thing I reflect upon, no. Last week I was riding to work at a little before 4 AM....I was about a mile from my house heading down hill, deep in the forest. Riding slowly as a precaution to conditions and the always unpredictable deer and raccoons who dart out in front of me from the heavy cover, I saw something in the road, right in my path, I thought it was a branch, or perhaps a large trash bag fell from a truck.....
Once along side it I glanced down, it was a body, all covered up except where the ski mask showed his face. He wasn't moving, and it didn't seem he was hit, or fell from a vehicle. I was the second person down the hill as I was following the tracks of the only other car down....
My mind raced, thinking I was being set up to be clobbered if I stopped...
I didn't. I got a safe distance away and called 911. I haven't heard anything back from them, or read anything in the news.
No where on my radar screen was I thinking body when I was coming upon the object. I can still see it when I close my eyes to go to sleep....
Some have faulted me for not stopping and lending help, the 911 operator told me I did the right thing, as this spot is very isolated....
My wife would have clobbered me if I had stopped  Shocked

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Very scary and odd.....
Reply #1 - 01/06/13 at 11:25:15

I think you did right... It can be dangerous,.. and besides that,.. you aren't supposed to move a person that's down anyway,.. unless they're in eminent danger from traffic or what-not...

I had a similar experience in my dirt riding days...
After years of riding without concern,.. my usual riding buddy left town, and I was out on my own...
So, I'm riding this area, and I keep smelling that death smell, (I just figure it's a cow, or a javelina)... when I get home,.. it's on the news that several bodies were found, (illegal border crossers)...
From then on, whenever I rode,... if I smelled death, I was obsessed with locating the source...
There's a lot of death out here in the desert..
I finally gave up dirt riding...

(Amazing how much more attuned your sense of smell is, on a bike)...

(I also found a bigfoot lair out there once... at least that's all I could imagine it being.  Very strange campground for a human anyway)...
Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 01/06/13 at 12:47:07

..I was about a mile from my house

WAY too close to home to be finding bodies. I woulda gone home, got the car & a 2x4 & can O Mace & gone back & checked on the guy. Yea, I woulda been late to work that day. Finding a body isnt exactly a good thing & one so close to home? Id wanna know WHY he was dead. Accident? Hit by a car? Or Intentional, hit by a bullet or baseball bat?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #3 - 01/06/13 at 18:46:37

A ski mask? Is there sking around there? Extream cold weather? If not he could have been a hold-up guy.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 01/07/13 at 04:37:32

There is no one single correct answer as to what to do in a cenario like this  Huh

Raydawg if you don't have any medical training there probably wasn't anything you could have done for him if he wasn't moving and injured. If it was a stop and hit scam, there's no doubt you did the right thing (since I'm assuming you weren't carrying a gun or weapon). And if he's dead and you didn't feel like poking him with a stick and wasting your entire morning waiting for the authorities to arrive and trying to answer questions you don't know the answer to, enough said on that one.

I'm with JOG I would have wanted to find out first hand, probably would have taken my safety off, called the cops and poked him with a stick LOL   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #5 - 01/07/13 at 07:23:22

I have a Scala Rider bluetooth headset.  Actually we bought the pair so Aida and I could talk on rides...  Smiley  But the bluetooth works well.  I would have called 911, and had them on the line while I stopped.  (Unless they advised me of stop robberies...) Never would have bought a bluetooth attachment, but love it now.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/07/13 at 08:34:40

and with privacy issues nowadays you can't even confirm someone was picked up.

think you did the right thing, but I'd waited till someone came at the safe spot, least someone come barrelin' down the road and ran him over.

WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 01/07/13 at 18:11:26

Ray you sure did have a tough call on that one. With all the weird things going on lately you did the safest thing. It's just a sad commentary on society that the RIGHT thing and the SAFE thing are not the SAME thing anymore.

And addressing the issue of poking the body with a stick to verify the subject is dead..... it's a method we use in Search and Rescue training all the time. But in order to prove a point,we throw in a serious twist!  When the SAR "trainee" starts to poke the "dead" person the body grabs the stick and jerks. Most of the time the trainee ends up on the ground with the "dead" person on top of them!

The point and moral of the story is that if you are going to poke at the body to check for life,hold the stick lightly and be on guard, lest you be overtaken by a bad person playing dead.

One other note from this training exercise....if you are carrying a long gun(which some SAR members will do in rough country)NEVER use the weapon to probe a possible dead body. You just might get shot with your own gun!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 01/08/13 at 03:26:44

Well.....never found out anything about it, no news story or call from the cops wanting any more info, odd. Perhaps it was nothing more that a real idiots left over new years day party buzz who indeed in his stupor just thought he'd rest a wee bit and perhaps my bike woke him....I dunno  Huh

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 01/08/13 at 23:23:54

One time on my home late at night I was heading up the hill and saw this guy running down the road and a car right behind him. I saw brake lights so I was certain that the car saw him and didn't hit him. about a half hour later I headed back down the hill and there was this small fire on the side of the road. I thought that was odd so I pulled over and I guess the car must have been chasing the guy and after killing him took him back up the road a bit and set him on fire. I headed home until they called to interview me and maybe I was lucky I did because they caught the suspects within a mile of the body. Apparently they were heading back to make sure he was thoroughly cooked. Had I waited around maybe they would have done me in too since I would have then been able to identify the vehicle. You did the right thing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/09/13 at 16:49:13

Where was that Stinger?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 21:27:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › Very scary and odd.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.