Send Topic Print
Tachometer ? (Read 157 times)
triumphleroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tachometer ?
01/05/13 at 21:29:52

Pretty sure I saw an Electric Tachometer mentioned on here but can not find reference to such an thing now? Course I am old and slow! Any help on where to obtain and how to hook up appreciated! Did read right on bike that idle speed was 1100 rpm (to keep cam area lubed). Have manuals ordered should be here early next week...

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Tachometer ?
Reply #1 - 01/06/13 at 00:22:36

Go to page 8 of the tech section and scroll to tachometers known to work on the LS 650 S40. I'm in New Zealand, but got a fair deal off EBAY from Catalyst Cycles in Tenessee?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
triumphleroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/06/13 at 07:29:49

Thanks for the reply from New Zealand. Looks as though Tach use is discussed like  oil preference? I just want to check idle speed in order to keep cam oiled.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/06/13 at 12:36:08

Ive never tried hooking it up to the bike, but I have a dwell tach Ive had since the 70's I can try to hook up & see. I just go be ear,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #4 - 01/06/13 at 20:21:14

tri,

Are you lookin' for a tach that you can have on the bike while riding it, or are you merely lookin' for a "diagnostic" tach?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
triumphleroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/06/13 at 20:49:13

Probably just for diagnostic use! I noticed some where that you used one and put it back in your Drawer. At my age I would forget what drawer I put it in! Just want to know that  I have enough RPM to keep the cam oiled, etc. We used to keep the idle up on our old 216 Chevrolets to keep the lower ends oiled. I am just trying to keep riding and having hard time kick starting my old bikes so trying this little beast out. Do not like the controls way out front so far. Course my old 51 Triumph has controls reversed from all these late model rides. I have been riding a rigid pre-unit Triumph since 1957...Probably been riding longer than most folks on this forum been born? Darn I am getting old...

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 01/06/13 at 20:58:32

If you are getting old, go to www.avvcc.org click on photo gallery and scroll around, should bring back memories.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
triumphleroy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/06/13 at 21:13:00

JCSTOKES
       Google says can't find that link?

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 01/06/13 at 22:56:01

Sorry, should be www.avvcc.org.nz

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 01/07/13 at 05:25:38

You can get one of these cheap, and they work just fine.  I have bought several and put them on my trials motorcycle and on my mowers to track the oil changes.

You would not have to mount it permanently - just wrap the wire temporarily around the spark plug lead and take the reading.  Since this one says it is for 2 cycle engines - it should show the correct rmp for the Savage which also sparks each time the piston reaches top dead center.  If you get one for a 4 cycle engine - it will read twice the actual rmp on the Savage.  You can find better tachs that will allow you to set the spark number to correct for the for 2 or 4 stroke spark frequency - but not at this cheap price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Tach-Hour-Meter-For-Motorcycle-ATV-Snowmob...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 01/07/13 at 07:12:11

I imagine all youll need is to get it set once & after that youll know it.
I hope Ill be done with constant fiddling with idle speed once I get the Raptor on it, but, Ive been raising the idle speed when its cold & adjusting it down as it warms up over the next 20 minutes or so for years,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:25:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tachometer ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.